4Runner - Purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Edit: This thread has morphed into just searching for a 4Runner for a diesel swap. TBH, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I know I want to swap in an OM617, so I'm waiting on more product-development from Doomsday Diesel regarding their serpentine belt kit and swap kits for a 3rd gen 4Runner. So basically I may have opened the search to 1st - 3rd gen 4Runners.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 1986 Toyota 4Runner with automatic transmission and 22RE engine. I am going to look at the truck in person tomorrow. The seller already mentioned that the transmission is slipping. It might be something as simple as adding tranny fluid. Seller does not seem mechanically inclined, so that is a possibility.

However, in case the trans does need a rebuild, does anyone have any advice? Based on the year/specs, I believe the trans is an A340F and VF2A chain-driven transfer case (Toyota Pickup and 4Runner Drivetrain Specifications). Is the A340F difficult to rebuild? Does the transfer case need to be rebuilt at the same time? Or is that only the A340H?

A340F.jpg

Ideally I would eventually swap to a 5-speed manual and RF1A gear-driven transfer case. I'm just exploring my options to get the truck back on the road if it needs a rebuilt trans.

Last edited:
Can't answer your questions but would like to see pics and price, if you go for it.

I'm just starting to learn about an 87 4runner and still consider myself green on older Toyotas.

Thanks for the link! I'm thinking the truck has a gear driven transfer case based upon the images and the 7 bolts on the back end.

I'm just starting to learn about an 87 4runner and still consider myself green on older Toyotas.

Thanks for the link! I'm thinking the truck has a gear driven transfer case based upon the images and the 7 bolts on the back end.

What engine does it have? The gear-driven transfer case only came in the 4-cylinder.

It has the 22RE mated to a 5 speed manual.
I think the transmission is the W56 with the RF1A transfer case.
P.O. took decent care of it but ran out the service intervals. So far replaced all fluids, shocks, detailed the paint, removed homebrew roof rack, and replaced passenger CV. I'm thinking to replace the wheels with 3rd gen 4runner wheels (mostly because I have them).

I've worked on Toyotas for years and most repairs are pretty simple. Transmissions are not that bad (compared to euro vehicles), biggest hurdle is just being detailed. Having seen some of your work on the forums I'd feel comfortable having you tear into a transmission.

4runner.jpg

It has the 22RE mated to a 5 speed manual.
I think the transmission is the W56 with the RF1A transfer case.
P.O. took decent care of it but ran out the service intervals. So far replaced all fluids, shocks, detailed the paint, removed homebrew roof rack, and replaced passenger CV. I'm thinking to replace the wheels with 3rd gen 4runner wheels (mostly because I have them).

I've worked on Toyotas for years and most repairs are pretty simple. Transmissions are not that bad (compared to euro vehicles), biggest hurdle is just being detailed. Having seen some of your work on the forums I'd feel comfortable having you tear into a transmission.

View attachment 2339474

That’s a really cool truck!

My next purchase is a 4Runner with a RF1A gear driven transfer case that I can swap a Marlin Dual Ultimate crawl box into.

Preferably the 1985 YM with the solid front axle and EFI engine.

Last edited:
'm thinking about purchasing a 1986 Toyota 4Runner with automatic transmission and 22RE engine. I am going to look at the truck in person tomorrow. The seller already mentioned that the transmission is slipping. It might be something as simple as adding tranny fluid. Seller does not seem mechanically inclined, so that is a possibility.

Did you end up buying the 4Runner?

Did you end up buying the 4Runner?

I did not. The more I learned about the truck, the less I was impressed with it. Lots of issues that I drew out of the Seller as I asked more questions - slipping trans, no A/C, mucked up dash, crappy respray with peeling paint. He was just not mechanically savvy, so it was hard to trust his judgment.

I also did more research on 1st gen 4Runners in general. Really what I'm looking for is a 1984 to 1985 truck, with a 22R(E), and a manual transmission (W56). Those trucks still have a solid front axle. I would go to a 1986 to 1989 year model truck if it was really clean, but I don't want to compromise on the 22R and manual trans.

I eventually want to dual-case the truck, and only the 4-cylinder trucks with manual trans came with the RF1A gear-driven transfer case.

You end up money ahead SASing an ifs truck.
84-85 people think are gold these days.
84 didn't have RE.
and with both, you swap rear axles and add the ifs box for crossover. (which is an absolute must because stock SA steering SUCKS)
Plus you gain other trimouts not available in those years. Molded door panels, electric windows, split rear seats. Etc.
Weigh your options before getting all hard over an 85. ;)
I did not. The more I learned about the truck, the less I was impressed with it. Lots of issues that I drew out of the Seller as I asked more questions - slipping trans, no A/C, mucked up dash, crappy respray with peeling paint. He was just not mechanically savvy, so it was hard to trust his judgment.

I also did more research on 1st gen 4Runners in general. Really what I'm looking for is a 1984 to 1985 truck, with a 22R(E), and a manual transmission (W56). Those trucks still have a solid front axle. I would go to a 1986 to 1989 year model truck if it was really clean, but I don't want to compromise on the 22R and manual trans.

I eventually want to dual-case the truck, and only the 4-cylinder trucks with manual trans came with the RF1A gear-driven transfer case.

84 didn't have RE.
and with both, you swap rear axles and add the ifs box for crossover. (which is an absolute must because stock SA steering SUCKS)
Plus you gain other trimouts not available in those years. Molded door panels, electric windows, split rear seats. Etc.

I'm right there with gnob. A well done SAS truck will drive much better than a stock 85 with that stupid push pull steering box. I personally think my 1987 with the SAS drives better than a stock IFS truck.

84 didn't have RE.

I think you misunderstood me. Ideally I would get an 84 or 85. But I would get any 1984 - 1989 truck if it's clean enough. The main factor is 22R/22RE engine, manual transmission, and RF1A transfer case. The trick is to find a truck that has been decently maintained, isn't a rust-bucket, and hasn't been modified into some monster crawler and beaten up on the rocks. If I can tick all those boxes, I don't care what year it is.

I'm right there with gnob. A well done SAS truck will drive much better than a stock 85 with that stupid push pull steering box. I personally think my 1987 with the SAS drives better than a stock IFS truck.

Details on your SAS setup?

Plus you gain other trimouts not available in those years. electric windows, split rear seats.
While I do agree that starting with an IFS truck is probably the way to go, my 85 4runner has factory split rear seats and power windows.

We can get into the semantics of which particular year model and options were best, but my challenge right now is to find a solid source for clean 1st gen 4Runners.

I scour Craigslist, AutoTrader, EBay, Instagram, and all the forums (Mud, 4Runners, T4R, YotaTech, Pirate, Marlin, etc).

Unfortunately the pickings are slim. And most classifieds ads are over a year old on the forums. Where do you guys look for good used 1st gen 4Runners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom