40 Arrived, Nightmare in the works! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So did you buy it? I would "really" check a northern 1980 FJ40 for rust. Most of the 79's and up are notorious rust buckets.

BTW, enjoyed keeping up with the thread. hate you had to go thru all of that hassle. You were lucky it turned out the way it did! Good luck with your search!

It does look nice, but there is a certain upside down part that is not esthetically pleasing....

thanks for keeping us on our toes... we should have caught that earlier :frown:

good news however... since the bezel is flopped.... drop the price 1K :D

So did you buy it? I would "really" check a northern 1980 FJ40 for rust. Most of the 79's and up are notorious rust buckets.

BTW, enjoyed keeping up with the thread. hate you had to go thru all of that hassle. You were lucky it turned out the way it did! Good luck with your search!

Thanks! Made the offer for the 1980 above my budget...but not high enough :-(. I do like the one on MUD classifieds for sure...I received pics pre-paint and it wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
nothing like sitting on the sideline watching a guy try to spend more one one cruiser, than i have in five of them....can't wait to see what you finally end up with.......and hoping it has a 2f in it:flipoff2:

Last edited:
If this has been asked before I apologize. Have you considered finding a reputable FJ40 builder (or reputable weekend warrior that does stuff on the side to pay for his own habit) to build what you want??? You know, someone that can help locate a solid platform to work from, and take to completion. With some of the purchase numbers that have been thrown around it certainly seems practical to me.You seem like the perfect candidate. :cheers:

Wow, Read the whole post and Glad you got your $ back. Definitely a plus but I personally would have held out for more...
There are deals out there to be had, you just gotta be patient. A member of our club sold his 73 recently, did a frame off by himself, all stock, looked awesome and sold it sub 15K. If I didnt have so much invested in mine already, I would have considered selling and buying his. If you like the Green 80, wait. It's apparently been on the market for a while and will probably come down in price a little more toward your budget. This is a great site and is full of people willing to help and offer advice. I have built 5 rigs and couldnt have finished any of them without the assistance of this site.
GL in finding your new rig, You definitely will enjoy it.

If this has been asked before I apologize. Have you considered finding a reputable FJ40 builder (or reputable weekend warrior that does stuff on the side to pay for his own habit) to build what you want??? You know, someone that can help locate a solid platform to work from, and take to completion. With some of the purchase numbers that have been thrown around it certainly seems practical to me.You seem like the perfect candidate. :cheers:

Like Rainman who is doing one right now. [... Goes off to find the thread ...]

Here it is: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/742351-first-fj40-build-long-time.html

Rainey is a Nashvillian like me (I'm a Nashvillain actually, subtle difference). I've been out to his place, seen his work. He's a very good part time rebuilder and is looking for another build after this one.

He is also going to try and import some vehicles from outside the US - the kinds we cannot get here.

Good thing about Nashville is, you can get there from anywhere being so centrally located.

Last edited:
Guys,

I'm only half way through this thread and I have to go to sleep, so pardon me if this is already posted.

The tailgate appears identical to the pics in the Ops first post.

I'm glad the OP had the tenacity to go the distance and get his money back. Meanwhile, it seems it's back out there.

It appears this same FJ40 is back on ebay from a dealer in South Dakota:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land...61511230f&item=301001155343&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Jim

I debated to reply to this thread to only be one more sympathetic voice, but I decided it was warranted. I'm sry you initially got hosed whether on purpose or not, but I'm super glad for you that you got your money back! I'm sure your going to, but I'd say take your time now and maybe even test drive some others rigs to get an overall feel of the different LC worlds (40, 60, 80...etc.). Best of luck to ya and the fam!

-Daniel Kent

I debated to reply to this thread to only be one more sympathetic voice, but I decided it was warranted. I'm sry you initially got hosed whether on purpose or not, but I'm super glad for you that you got your money back! I'm sure your going to, but I'd say take your time now and maybe even test drive some others rigs to get an overall feel of the different LC worlds (40, 60, 80...etc.). Best of luck to ya and the fam!

-Daniel Kent

Thanks Dan! Taking my time for sure this go around...I've wanted to go above the budget many a time, but its amazing how many come on the market and the right one is out there for me...and the wife is watching $$ closer now :).

I'll respond shortly to the above posts with 40 sales, nice ones for sure and the information from MUD members is amazing. I was checking eBay multiple times a day for new listings...not a total waste of time, but with this site it will come!
Mike

Thanks Dan! Taking my time for sure this go around...I've wanted to go above the budget many a time, but its amazing how many come on the market and the right one is out there for me...and the wife is watching $$ closer now :).

I'll respond shortly to the above posts with 40 sales, nice ones for sure and the information from MUD members is amazing. I was checking eBay multiple times a day for new listings...not a total waste of time, but with this site it will come!
Mike

Mike-

Good luck in your search, I know you will make the right choice. My 0.02 is to avoid eBay. Keep it to Craigist and mud classifieds (and similar sites) Purchase it from an owner and not a dealer. Look at it prior to buying, never do it sight unseen. Ask the seller tons of questions.

Like Rainman who is doing one right now. [... Goes off to find the thread ...]

Here it is: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/742351-first-fj40-build-long-time.html

Rainey is a Nashvillian like me (I'm a Nashvillain actually, subtle difference). I've been out to his place, seen his work. He's a very good part time rebuilder and is looking for another build after this one.

That's what I had in mind.

I do the same thing, that's why brought it up. I've never found a '40 exactly the way I want it (except maybe a perfect resto) so building it has always made sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom