Finally got the 40! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all! Just picked up a 1971 40, looks to be pretty close to stock from my mild assessment. Hopes of a conversion to discs up front and a 4-pt cage on the back, full length bikini top and driving it daily around the Valley! Thanks for everyone's help along the way!

IMG_9046.jpeg

IMG_8529.jpeg

IMG_8878.jpeg

By the way, anyone (even better if Colorado folks chime in) go through the process of having a vehicle titled? The downside of this purchase is a lack of title...

You should call your DMV or wherever you get them registered ASAP. IDK how it works in Colorado but I have been through the ringer in AZ and I have seen some nightmare stories from other states. I mean court battle, lost everything they put into the vehicle stories so I wouldn't put any money into it until you KNOW you can register it in your name.

You finally got your 40 and I hope you get to keep it. Good luck and please follow up.

You should call your DMV or wherever you get them registered ASAP. IDK how it works in Colorado but I have been through the ringer in AZ and I have seen some nightmare stories from other states. I mean court battle, lost everything they put into the vehicle stories so I wouldn't put any money into it until you KNOW you can register it in your name.

You finally got your 40 and I hope you get to keep it. Good luck and please follow up.

Ooof, that's what I was wondering about. I'm starting the process now. A buddy directed me to pump the brakes on any work to the rig until I have it registered. Seems like wise advice. May I just need to hear some positive stories rather than the horror stories, haha.

Nice rig !!

Congrats!

Looks great!
I'd keep the drums - mine work great now the vacuum is fixed, and its about 4 feet longer than yours, plus has a steel roof, doors, bed and a kitchen..
I bet that will stop on a dime by comparison. :)

She's a creampuff!

Regarding title, try and search for someone local who handles no title issues and get some advice on what it will involve. They may be able to take away the “unknown scary” feeling.

I do know people who have gotten titles for cars that had none — so it’s possible at least in NY. Good luck

I don't want to be Debbie Downer here but in NM I will no longer buy a truck or motorcycle without a title as they like most other states have made it next to impossible to get a registration. Vermont won't work with out of staters anymore. Seems there was a southern state that you could register vehicles through, Mississippi maybe? that was years back when I did that. Some states allow it but the money you have to put up for a bond is prohibitive. Let us know how you make out with this, hope it works out for you.

You'll have to work with your DMV (awful in Colorado) on the Title Application process.
1. Filled and signed Bill of sale (best if you use the DMV form) from the owner who is on the last title preferably.
2. Signed statement from the same, indicating why they do not have a title (even if just "lost").
3. Work with your county DMV on their expected VIN Inspection (usually CHP or Sheriff).
4. Check the VIN on the national database to ensure not reported stolen or leins: VINCheck® Lookup | National Insurance Crime Bureau - https://www.nicb.org/vincheck
5. Get ready to increase your patience and the probablity you might not be able to drive this for a couple months.

I had a friend of mine and I work on his Toyota Tacoma (purchased with a "lost" title) and when we went to get the VIN inspection station in Colorado Springs, my friend was detained! The Truck ended up being reported stolen. Huge debacle. So, take your time and ensure you have MORE information collected and done exactly as your DMV has laid out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom