Finally got the 40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going through this in Texas currently.

The short of it is I pay someone who does this for a living $950 for all the title legwork, plates and a window sticker.

I need to provide 1) proof of insurance 2) inspection 3) valid drivers license. I’m good on all 3, it’s just the $950 I seemed to have misplaced 🤔

I don't want to be Debbie Downer here but in NM I will no longer buy a truck or motorcycle without a title as they like most other states have made it next to impossible to get a registration. Vermont won't work with out of staters anymore. Seems there was a southern state that you could register vehicles through, Mississippi maybe? that was years back when I did that. Some states allow it but the money you have to put up for a bond is prohibitive. Let us know how you make out with this, hope it works out for you.
Yeah, I'm hoping for the best! I'll try to keep this post alive with progress. I have a feeling it may be months...

4. Check the VIN on the national database to ensure not reported stolen or leins: VINCheck® Lookup | National Insurance Crime Bureau - https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

I had a friend of mine and I work on his Toyota Tacoma (purchased with a "lost" title) and when we went to get the VIN inspection station in Colorado Springs, my friend was detained! The Truck ended up being reported stolen. Huge debacle. So, take your time and ensure you have MORE information collected and done exactly as your DMV has laid out.
Thank you putting this out there. As one whose FJ40 was stolen and not recovered, I always get a little upset when I hear a story of someone buying a truck without a title. I'm pretty sure that's what has happened to mine.

Thank you putting this out there. As one whose FJ40 was stolen and not recovered, I always get a little upset when I hear a story of someone buying a truck without a title. I'm pretty sure that's what has happened to mine.
Really sorry to hear that, makes me sick to my stomach for you.

Does the VIN of your stolen truck show up in that data base?

Really sorry to hear that, makes me sick to my stomach for you.

Does the VIN of your stolen truck show up in that data base?
Nope. I think the database requires that an insurance claim is filed. Mine was not insured.

Without posting the back story on the purchase or having any details how comfortable are you that it is not a stolen vehicle ?

VIN checked out OK online and with local PD. Title search showed up with last registered owner in Montrose CO, approximately 60 miles away, from about 15 years ago.

So far trying to follow DMV's process to a T.

Thats the right way to do it, post up as you go along, nice truck.

A salvage title is a title with a verified owner. No title is no title with no verified owner.

Going through this in Texas currently.

The short of it is I pay someone who does this for a living $950 for all the title legwork, plates and a window sticker.

I need to provide 1) proof of insurance 2) inspection 3) valid drivers license. I’m good on all 3, it’s just the $950 I seemed to have misplaced 🤔
$950 seems like it could be a bargain. I have a feeling this process may drag out over some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom