4-Speed Auto Flush Procedure/Interval (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt J

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone have info on what Mr. T recommends for transmission flush? I don't see that info in my owner's manual.

FWIW the maintenance info link in the FAQs is broken, and I only have the 2004 FSM that commonly available around here somewhere. It looks like the transmission referenced in it are the newer 5 speed. (If anyone has the FSM for 2000 let me know!)

So apparently all I had to do was post on here to sharpen my Google-fu and find the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" PDF in the Toyota Owner's site. Would still be interested in everyone's procedure and recommendations for fluid, etc.

BTW the interval is every 45k if operating under "normal conditions" or 30k under "special operating conditions".

I did a drain and fill every time that I did the engine oil change.
It took 4-6 times for the fluid to look clean red. Everyone here kinda avoids flushes
My 98 drained like 3.8-4 liters, make sure to add the exact same amount it drains, a long thin funnel and a $1 cooking measuring cup helps.

Last edited:
I did a drain and fill every time that I did the engine oil change.
It took 4-6 times for the fluid to look clean red. Everyone here kinda avoids flushes
My 98 drained like 3.8-4 liters, make sure to add the exact same amount it drains, a long thin funnel and a $1 cooking measuring cup helps.

What fluid do you use?

Looks like lifting the rear or driving back wheels up on ramps would let more fluid drain, since the plug doesn't appear to be at the lowest point of the pan...

"Everyone" here doesn't agree. You should flush the transmission oil yearly (about 45k) (someday I'll follow my own advice). You can use the transmission pump to flush it. Draining and refilling the transmission is a waste of money. You'll never get it clean that way, and you'll spend a lot of money doing it. @2001LC has the definitive post on the process and oils to use. Do it his way and you won't waste more than a quart and it'll be as clean as you can get it, without opening the case.

Draining the pan after the gearbox has reached operating temperature will speed the process, but it'll take a day to drain all the oil that will drain out. You will not get more than about 4 quarts out, no matter how you do it. The remainder is in the cooling loop, the torque converter and the upper case.

FWIW, there is a 1998 Land Cruiser FSM in the Resources section - there isn't much difference between '98 and '00. I'll post a 2000 copy when I get time.

"Everyone" here doesn't agree. You should flush the transmission oil yearly (about 45k) (someday I'll follow my own advice). You can use the transmission pump to flush it. Draining and refilling the transmission is a waste of money. You'll never get it clean that way, and you'll spend a lot of money doing it. @2001LC has the definitive post on the process and oils to use. Do it his way and you won't waste more than a quart and it'll be as clean as you can get it, without opening the case.

Draining the pan after the gearbox has reached operating temperature will speed the process, but it'll take a day to drain all the oil that will drain out. You will not get more than about 4 quarts out, no matter how you do it. The remainder is in the cooling loop, the torque converter and the upper case.

FWIW, there is a 1998 Land Cruiser FSM in the Resources section - there isn't much difference between '98 and '00. I'll post a 2000 copy when I get time.
Thank you!

And I just found @2001LC post you referenced here for future thread finders. This is a great writeup.

What fluid do you use?

Looks like lifting the rear or driving back wheels up on ramps would let more fluid drain, since the plug doesn't appear to be at the lowest point of the pan...
I did it on flat ground and after driving it for about 15 minutes. I used Mobil ATF-DM (sold at the dealer for $7/liter) so about $30 every time and takes like 20 minutes tops.
It has worked perfectly on my 98 and I use the same procedure on my Mom's 06 Sienna (430k) and sister's VW Golf (360k), never a single issue.

AutoZone has Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF on "clearance" right now for $6/quart FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom