4+PLUS Tire/Cooler Carrier Install- FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone know what size STAINLESS cooler fits these?

My Coleman is just too big... :rolleyes:

the round basket that you have there isn't specific to any cooler size that I know of, however MAF sells another basket that Dave from 4-PLUS makes out of flat stock that accepts an ARB (Engel) DC frig perfectly.

Poser-

Good point about the coolers. I'll keep looking or just make something different. That's the nice thing about this re-design, the rack unbolts for removal unlike the previous model. Although nothing stops the guys with serious skills.

The license light works great except that the 5 watt Hella bulb is WEAK. I replaced it today with a 10 watt dome light so we'll see how that does. I had to squeeze the inner tabs a little closer together to fit the slightly shorter bulb...

EDIT: Yes the 10 watter is a HUGE improvement...
coolerlamps.jpg

Last edited:
Steve-

Any pics of that new cooler carrier?

Sounds like a good idea.

Rezarf <><

The basket is now a modular design folks. Make your own to fit whatever you want to carry, and bolt it to the rack.

Right after the manufacture of this would change the basket to accommodate whatever cooler was the one that everyone wanted to use; the cooler manufacture would change the dims on the cooler, and make it so that it would not fit the re-designed basket, and we would be right back to where we are right now.

It never ends folks.

There is no way a license plate lamp, or a metal cooler would have survived on the rear of my junk since 1998....there are not any cooler manufactures out there that offer anything near as stout as the carrier. ;)

That lamp set-up looks nice Dom.

Good thread guys!

It is in the FAQ.

I will be modifying some older 4+ carrier units with the new, modular-style cooler basket, adding grease fittings, and modifying the bushings so that the grease flows around the spindle, and will update this thread with the information when I do this.

:beer:

Steve-

Any pics of that new cooler carrier?

Sounds like a good idea.

Rezarf <><

Ummmm

Drew, this whole thread is about it.

Dom has pictures of the new carrier/cooler rack set up in the thread.

I have a 15x42x15 swamper on a 10" steel wheel that has been mounted on mine...

What is in the way?

Well it says on the site it will fit up to a 37 but after you said that i went and put mine up and its going to clear i might have to remove the hi lift holder but i sure hope it works out!:)

Per my prior post, here's a pic with my rear auxilary lights installed:

showPic.php

Drilled no holes and used existed threaded holes...routes wires just above through other unused holes. These are basic small rectangular driving lights (H3 55 watt bulbs I think) from Autozone...got them on sale. Probably one of the best things I've added to the FJ40...the extra lighting works great when camping off-road (i.e., setting up tent at night) and as a back-up light.

My tire/cooler carrier now has ~1,500 miles and 2 weekends of hard trails offroad use & camping. Used a couple of motorcycle straps to secure the cooler. Works great with zero rattles or complaints.

Last edited:
Here you go Dom...from Autozone's website:

pilpl-1055c003.jpg

Pilot Automotive Wangs PIL / Clear Rectangle Lens, White Beam Driving Light Kit (1-7/8" x 5").
About this product:
  • Clear Lens/Clear Beam
  • 55 Watt Halogen Bulb
  • Fuse Included
  • Illuminated Rocker Switch
clearpixel.gif
Part Number:pL-1055C

Don't expect PIAA/Cibie/IPF quality. They are OK quality. At $19.99 for the light output, brackets, switches, and compact size/dimensions it's a good deal. At $19.99 you can bust them up on the trail and not worry.

Last edited:
dude that is nice i likey......i wondered how they looked...perfect

Nice write up. I also agree to what Lake Norman used for back up lighting. I have that exact pair on my 100.

One other thing, why would M-A-F still not put a grease fitting on that thing? Mine was frozen in the shut position and it was a real PITA to get it open (but only once).

:D

Have you placed fittings on it yet?

I painted the aluminum bracket, soldered some electrical connectors to the light and wiring (black) and attached it all with black zip ties to try to keep it all low profile. I also used a few adhesive zip tie mounts (we'll see how long those last) on the flat surfaces of the swing arm and bumper and routed the wiring just above the tail light and down behind the rear quarter panel. I found an unused "green" wire with connector that was a part of the rear wiring harness and plugged it in.

nice. very clean. well done. I did a similar light setup on my carrier as it did not have one. You might want to consider some split loom to cover that wire as (1) it looks super clean as compared to exposed wire and (2) just an added level of protection for the wire when you put items in the basket.

I have the older style manfre carrier. I have to lubricate the hinges yearly or it will freeze up. One of these days I will drill and tap for some zerks. I wish they had raised the basket before I bought mine. It gets hung up now and then.

Great job on the write up.

According to AL at MAF the 1045 and 1046 are the same base bumper the only difference is the cooler rack that bolts onto the base. The 1045 is tubular and the 1046 is flat stock. I believe the 1046 can hold a larger cooler aka ARB Fridge as the corners do not have a radius.

I like the tubular rack for looks but space is always a concern so I may opt for the flat stock cooler carrier 1046

Anyone know if MAF ever puts this stuff on sale.

Alf

Alf-

Be careful when you order. The older style (1046) I believe rides lower and has clearence issues, therefore the re-design (1045). I may be wrong but there are a few guys here that would know better. Maybe the rack from the 1046 could be substituted on the 1045...

I have the older style manfre carrier. I have to lubricate the hinges yearly or it will freeze up. One of these days I will drill and tap for some zerks. I wish they had raised the basket before I bought mine. It gets hung up now and then.

X2 it was an issue for me also when I had my FJ40

Nice write up and clean install. I like the license plate light and will probably get one for the bumper I am making for the Pig.

When I bought my older style one, I drove down there in the 40 with my wife. We installed it in their parking lot and drove back home :lol: The guys there were super cool and had no problems with me hooking up an extension cord and going to work.

Spoke with them on the phone and the 1046 and 1045 use the exact same bumper and higher mounted cooler rack brackets. If you look at the pictures of teh 1045 and 1046 you will see they use the same bracket to hold the cooler cage. The only difference is the cage itself.

alf

Ummmm

Drew, this whole thread is about it.

Dom has pictures of the new carrier/cooler rack set up in the thread.

ohhhh, now I see :D

Does anybody know if you can you buy the cages separately? What does the mounting platform look like without a cage on it? With a little stress analysis of the mounting platform, one could determine its loading capabilities. You could then develop a whole suite of attachments for it...:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom