4" lift shackle angle - now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beyond the existing problem, could you post some feedback on these springs after running them for a little while?

This won't help you angles but it looks like you also need to straighten out your tierod.

I installed a 2 1/2 Hell Creek lift about 3 weeks ago and posted pictures. I think you responded. My angles are almost vertical with a slight pitch outward. I am confident mine wil settle in ok. I don't think you can install them backward as there is a long end and a short end and you would have to move your axel several inches if you got them wrong.

Be careful with that angle. All it would take is a speed bump to invert those shackles, and you could bend your main leaf. Been their, done that.:frown:

aw

Duh, flip your bezel and it should fix your problem..
Yeah, I could do that, but then the bezel police would be after me.

Maybe take out a couple leafs??? See what that does.

I'll probably check with HC first and ask them what they think.

Beyond the existing problem, could you post some feedback on these springs after running them for a little while?

Will do.

This won't help you angles but it looks like you also need to straighten out your tierod.

Yeah, I know. I have new tie rods sitting in my garage. I have been waiting on the ends, which showed up today while I was out putting on my new tires.

If you could get those springs to settle to the correct shackle angle, i'm afraid it would have any lift to it. Contact the company, that isn't right at all. I will say it looks good sittin in the drive way. The right hieght for a 4" and it's level.

I'm going to. Thanks.

I installed a 2 1/2 Hell Creek lift about 3 weeks ago and posted pictures. I think you responded. My angles are almost vertical with a slight pitch outward. I am confident mine wil settle in ok. I don't think you can install them backward as there is a long end and a short end and you would have to move your axel several inches if you got them wrong.

Yes, I did comment to your post. I agree, I'm not sure I could flip them easily and not notice.

Be careful with that angle. All it would take is a speed bump to invert those shackles, and you could bend your main leaf. Been their, done that.:frown:

aw

Definitely, that is what I'm really trying to avoid. Thanks.

Well, this doesn't help my shackle angle any, but I did get my new tires on today. BF Goodrich Mud Terrains 33x12.50x15s.

:cheers:
lift and new tires0001.jpg
lift and new tires0002.jpg
lift and new tires0004.jpg

Here's acouple of pics of my 4" HCs....
SD801029%20%28Custom%29.JPG
SD801028%20%28Custom%29.JPG

So FF LC Freak, what do you think about those Rough Country 9000?? I didn't care for them at all........

FF LC Freak, I like your FJ40.

Gee, I wonder why?

FJ40-w-top.jpg

Here is a pic of one of my front HC shackles, which has worse angles than the rear. I was a little nervous about them so I welded a 3/8 in coupler on the side of the shackle and made an adjustable anti-inversion screw.

Yours look way off. Send the pics to Tom Laher, I have found him to be very helpful.
tlaher@hellcreeksuspensions.com
Pic 2.JPG

flipping only changes the positions of the axle....

The end farthest from the center pin always goes to the shackle side.

I just installed the HC 4" suspension and 1 1/2 shackels and I have the same shackle angle is you. I was hoping that they would settle a llittle bit. Please post what you hear from Tom I was going to give it awhile before I called him.

So FF LC Freak, what do you think about those Rough Country 9000?? I didn't care for them at all........

I haven't had much of a chance to drive it, but they seem pretty stiff and bouncy. I guess I'll find out more when I drive it more.

FF LC Freak, I like your FJ40.

Gee, I wonder why?

Brian, yours looks great too!

Here is a pic of one of my front HC shackles, which has worse angles than the rear. I was a little nervous about them so I welded a 3/8 in coupler on the side of the shackle and made an adjustable anti-inversion screw.

Yours look way off. Send the pics to Tom Laher, I have found him to be very helpful.
tlaher@hellcreeksuspensions.com

jcj - I like your setup. I may end up copying you.

it looks like u flipped your springs one side should measure 19'' and the other 22'' if you have these backwards that is exactly what it looks like...........tape it straight up and down from both eyelets to center pin.....:) :) :)

If the springs are short, what effect would changing the position of the axle have to do with the shackle angle? I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm not understanding.

I just installed the HC 4" suspension and 1 1/2 shackels and I have the same shackle angle is you. I was hoping that they would settle a llittle bit. Please post what you hear from Tom I was going to give it awhile before I called him.

I e-mailed Tom tonight with pictures. I'll let you all know what he has to say.

:cheers:

Your 40 looks great, but those shackle angles just are not right.

I'd suggest loostening up the shackle bolts a little and trying to flex it.

Tom at Hell Creek is a great guy to work with so call him and get his opinion. He stands by his product with a lifetime guarantee.

Keep us posted.

Okay, I got a reply from Tom at Hell Creek. Here is the e-mail he sent me:

"These springs need to be "broken in" a little. If you measure your ride height, you will probably have more than 4 inches of lift. Not many people realize it, but the Nitro shocks actually contribute lift to the vehicle, since they are gas-charged (pressurized). Most of the other kits that we sell are shipped with the Hydro shocks, which would explain some differences between your kit and the others you talked to. Give them some time to settle. With the Nitros holding them up, it will take longer than with the Hydros, and the ride will always be a little stiffer than with Hydros. We never recommend Nitros to someone who uses their Cruiser mainly for street driving."

So, considering this, I will probably yank the shocks out and flex it out on some ramps for a day or so on each side and see if that helps. Then, I'll take it up into the hills and bounce it around and try to break those suckers in. I guess we'll see if I like the Nitros. If not, I'll probably go with some Bilsteins and see if that helps the ride.

By the way, as everyone has said, Tom at Hell Creek is a great guy to do business with. I've talked to him on the phone a few times (when I was ordering) and was always helpful. He responded to my e-mail quickly and it was definitely way past work hours.

I'll keep everyone up to date as I break in these springs. Thanks for all your help! :cheers:

I never would have considered the shocks contributing to your shackle angle.....
Learned something new today...if in fact that is the case. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom