3UR-FE Rebuild - Head Gasket Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lurking the forums for a while, we bought the LC about 1.5yrs ago with 170K on the clock. Fell in love with it more than I ever thought, same will all members of the family, the quiet and comfortable ride is hard to beat. Vehicle is basically bone stock, just high miles. Vehicle has been dealer serviced every 5K miles before my ownership in Iowa. We put on a lot of miles as we live in South Dakota and everything is far away, I wanted to put the Land Cruiser to the test.

A few months back at about 190K, an engine misfire (PO304) occurred on a road trip, the vehicle surprisingly snapped out of the missfire and we drove home ~200miles without any hiccups and the code went away for a bit. The code (P0304) came back soon after and then I replaced all spark plugs, Cylinder #4 very fouled. We put about 2-3K miles on with no issues or codes, the same code came back at 194K or so. I then put all new ignition coils in, no change and misfire was still present, cylinder #4 spark plug did no look fouled, I knew I was in over my head, so it was time to send her off to a mechanic...

The first mechanic scoped cylinder #4 and found coolant, but did not want to take on the job (no labor/help). Long story short, it was hard to find a mechanic that wanted to take on a head gasket and engine rebuild, but I was able to find a shop about 45min away that would take on the job. We have larger cities about 1.5hrs away that have Toyota Dealerships, but didn't want to go that route if I did not have to. This shop I chose checked all the boxes and he was not afraid of the work, he also had access to a Toyota Master Tech, so that was a bonus in my eyes.

Upon tear down the old head gasket did show a small passage where the gasket deteriorated and allowed coolant to slip by, nothing else abnormal that that. Total timeline from drop off to pickup was 6 weeks as it took 3 weeks for the heads to be reconditioned at a nearby machine shop. The heads were reconditioned with valves and seat grinding and the heads were milled flat. While everything was tore apart I opted to purchase and install a new Radiator, Water Pump, Starter, Belts, Intake Cam Phaser Gears and Exhaust Cam Phaser gears. The Cam phaser gear replacements came at the recommendation of the Toyota Master Tech. Timing Chains and tensioners were inspected, the master tech did not seem concerned with reusing them.

All in it was a $8,500 repair, the added parts did not help the bill, but I am hoping to keep this thing out of the shop for a long time now. I just wanted to share my experience as from what I have seen head gasket failure is rare. A little history of what it takes to get the 3UR-FE back into action couldn't hurt I figured.

Hoping to replenish the budget soon to put a lift and some other aftermarket goodies on the LC and continue enjoying the ride while hauling kids around to activities and vacations.

Any pics of the rebuild progress? Hopefully you’re all set for another 200+k.

Glad to hear you got it repaired!

I have a high mile 200 as well, and am always worried about HG vs Valley Plate and how to tell when that happens.

Mine the radiator, water pumps have been replaced

I don't miss US labor prices. A friend of mine over here rebuilds a few 3URs every week. Not that anything is usually wrong with them, owners just want to upgrade pistons and rods whenever they supercharge them. For about the same price you paid, he'd refresh everything that is serviceable along with JE/CP pistons and Manley rods. Only thing he keeps are the crank and camshaft unless the owner wanted to upgrade them too.

There are even some instances where he builds short blocks and ships them to the US as it was significantly cheaper than building a performance block locally.

I would have honestly changed the chains and tensioners as they sometimes start to rattle or even start throwing the timing off on higher milage/boosted applications. You're probably fine but at almost 200k miles, they are past their "prime".

I had P0301 during my road trip. Made it home by checking coolant level frequently and keeping a close eye on temp. Upon investigation, I repaired valley plate, replace all plugs and coils. Took to dealer for coolant pressure test and camera in bore no1 showed coolant. Head gasket failed. Motor is apart right now. Block and heads are in spec. Glad it was not wrapped. I will get truck back next week. I asked for reseal motor, front and rear main seals, water pump, valve steam gaskets, fan clutch, and thermostat stat. Radiator, Starter and alternator was replaced not to long ago.

Hear some pics.

IMG_9630.jpeg

IMG_9640.jpeg

IMG_9639.jpeg

IMG_9638.jpeg

I am replacing both motor mounts and transfer case mount. New O2 and air fuel ratio sensor will be installed. Rig has 146k on odometer. More pics.

IMG_9637.jpeg

IMG_9636.jpeg

IMG_9635.jpeg

IMG_9634.jpeg

IMG_9633.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your photos and story. Looks like we are headed down similar paths, cheers to 200-300K more miles before we have anymore serious maintenance.

The head gasket failure you show in your photos is very similar to what I saw when I was shown my old head gasket, deterioration of the head gasket between the cylinder wall and small coolant passage hole. I would say we had the same head gasket failure, just a different cylinder #.

Any known overheat or cooling system issues? Caught valley plate early before any damage was done? Same question @KyleLyle17

I was missing coolant without any visible leaks and a misfire code. I kept replenishing as I thought valley plate leak and misfire be related bad spark plug or bad coil. There was no overheating issue. Motor would idle rough at cold start and as it warms up the rough idle goes away.

Btw valley plate leak was very minimal.

IMG_9572.jpeg

IMG_9570.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, BC is selling ARP head studs at a substantially reduced price.

If anyone is interested, BC is selling ARP head studs at a substantially reduced price.

I have ARP head studs on my 6.0 powerstroke out of absolute necessity. How much of a benefit do these provide to the 3UR? I’m big on preventative things like this if they make sense.

Any known overheat or cooling system issues? Caught valley plate early before any damage was done? Same question @KyleLyle17

In my ownership of the last 25K miles, no overheating or cooling system issues. I never asked the shop what the valley plate looked like when they tore into it, so that is unknown.

My coolant loss was always minimal and hard to even notice, even when the misfire became more serious, I topped off the coolant reservoir once before she went to the shop to get torn into. That was the only anomaly in the whole story, my coolant loss was never minimal.

so, I have blown my engine. No lights, no noise, but overheated and engine is toast. Has anybody replaced an engine and what was the outcome. I’m worried about putting 15k into this engine and just continuing to have problems. Please share your thoughts and or opinions. The only engine available is a donor with 80k miles. $8k engine, $4k labor, and $3k in other parts (water pump, radiator, fluids, etc)

so, I have blown my engine. No lights, no noise, but overheated and engine is toast. Has anybody replaced an engine and what was the outcome. I’m worried about putting 15k into this engine and just continuing to have problems. Please share your thoughts and or opinions. The only engine available is a donor with 80k miles. $8k engine, $4k labor, and $3k in other parts (water pump, radiator, fluids, etc)
Quit cross posting and read the threads you’re posting to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom