3rd gen 4Runner, Racing Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking awesome as always! Thanks for linking your IG, definitely gonna follow along on there as well.

Update! Mount and cell are in! So is the drybreak!

fuelcell subframe.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

Have you had the chance to test fit the spare tire again with the dry break installed?
Not yet. It definitely clears in the outboard/race position, but it'll probably interfere with the hatch closed. If I tilt the spare tire to the right, it'll clear fine--I made about 20 degrees of adjustment side to side---on accident :rofl:.
impact.PNG

Ever want to see the inside of a fuel cell? Here you go!

IMG_6431.jpg

^Fill plate with a one-way rubber seal.
IMG_6433.jpg

^foam shrouding the fuel pump and surge collector. You can hear the balls rattle back and forth.

IMG_6435.jpg

^Rollover valve for the vent line. Even though a discriminator valve does a similar function, the rollover valve itself is integral to the tank's flange.
IMG_6436.jpg

^return fitting. The gas sprays back into the fuel cell here.

IMG_6434.jpg

^fuel cell is full of foam. Cheers! Fuelsafe did one heck of a job!

Update!

Here are some things that I have to do to finish the fuel cell install:
1. Run -6AN fuel lines. Pressure test for those lines is coming up in the next couple weeks.
2. Run 100 PSI WP hose between the 6AN AN hose and return hard line--an adapter if you will.
3. Replace OEM fuel filter with a new one. Alot of fuel cell installs use aftermarket fuel filters, but I'd rather use the OEM one with an adapter to -6AN fittings.
4. Make a dash board panel for the fuel gauge. This panel will probably have USB and 12V outputs too.
5. Wire the sending unit and fuel gauge.
6. Wait for parts! -6AN to 1/4" barbed tubing adapters are one of the most uncommon fittings out there. I probably won't be able to start engine of the 4runner again until late June if the parts delay keep going. This relates to #2 above.
7. Work on charcoal canister plumbing.
8. Go camping! Since parts aren't done arriving, might as well enjoy the mountains.
Anything else I should do while working on this part of the race truck? What do you think?
Cheers!

Awesome video! I must admit, I'm very jealous of that garage. I haven't seen one set up that nicely and clean in quite some time, not to mention with such a massive and longwinded project in place. Keep it up, we'll be watching!

Awesome video! I must admit, I'm very jealous of that garage. I haven't seen one set up that nicely and clean in quite some time, not to mention with such a massive and longwinded project in place. Keep it up, we'll be watching!
Thank you! If you'd like, I can give a run down on our renovation of the garage when we got the house--totally worth it, and we're probably not done yet.

THE 4RUNNER IS ALIVE! No engine codes! No leaks! Pump runs great! Time to make a firewall!

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

IMG_7082.jpg

Fun-update!

I drove the 4runner 250 miles so far, and everything is ship shape. Had several fun moments while out and around the town. Still no leaks, no codes, no issues.

I shared a wave with a Corvette guy while driving. He ended up parking next to the 4runner, which made for a killer photo at a grocery run. The entire car fits underneath the front fender--those things are low!
IMG_7356 (2).jpg

Speaking of photos, the 4runner really gets some stares around town--50 smiles per gallon. A complete stranger recognized the 4runner from social media and shared this picture in traffic. She was very kind, and loves 4runners!
IMG_7307 (1).JPG

IMG_7363.jpg

good shot from home.
It's pretty non-descript in the front for an offroad rig, but the party's in the back.
IMG_7398.jpg

Update! A little kid said the rear tire looked like an Oreo, so I was happy to oblige. Hearing little people yell, "monster truck with monster oreo!" is too much fun. Needless to say, it stays! Apparently the license plate GOTM1LK is available in TX. That's comedically tempting now.

IMG_7822 (1).jpg

400 miles driven since the fuel cell install. No codes, no problems.

I spilt fuel on the fuel lines during the install, and that one "stain" is the only spot where I can smell gas. I used a gas checker too. Not leaking, just stained. I'll try the bakingsoda/vinegar/water paste at some point, but has anyone cleaned that smell off rubber? Thanks ahead for the advice.

I saw a 2022 TRD Pro and got a solid nod while passing. The crack in the windshield photobombed the moment though.

IMG_7927.jpg

Concerning the garage, it's now insulated and AC'd! Painting and patching the insulation holes in the walls took a long time, but the results were well worth it for a 3 day weekend project.

IMG_7968.jpg

Update!

No windshield = race truck, right?

I am waist deep into making the dashboard, rebuilding the tachometer, and a windshield insert.

Dashboard:
- I am making the top of it first, I think it's the hardest part to figure out, and using cardboard and acrylic only goes so far in conceptualizing the top part of it.
Windshield insert:
- To keep the truck road legal, I need a good, robust way to safely remove the windshield for offroad racing and be able to put it back on again. I'm making a sun visor to fill the space for racing, and I'll use another one as a mount for the windshield. That way, the windshield is glued to that steel, and that steel can be bolted onto the truck. This one is going to be complex with the multiple joint interfaces. Any ideas?
Tachometer rebuild:
- I broke my tachometer's mounts way back when I did the roll cage originally. It's been solidly held in place with velcro for two years, but bolts are better. I bought one off of ebay, swapped the two circuit boards to keep the ODO correct, and everything electrically worked A-ok. Now it's just a task of fabricating mounts, and that's proving to be tedious.

IMG_8257 (2).jpg

visor1.PNG

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

IMG_8371.jpg

Update!

1. Here's a cool graphic!
xray4.png

Alright! Now onto the real stuff:
2. Gage cluster mount is welded in.

3. New fuel lines are in! This one was a big deal. The rubber/stainless braided lines outgassed just too much, so I replaced them with PTFE stainless hoses from hotrodfuelhose.com. The new lines are better in every way, and they don't outgas! I used bulkhead fittings to get the fuel lines under the truck behind the upcoming firewall. I also used a 1/4" to 6an barbed fitting adapter for the return line. That was totally worth it too. I should have gone the PTFE stainless route upfront, but I skimped out and tried to do the slightly-cheaper stuff. Lesson learned....again.

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8568.jpg

^4runner was pissed off for a bit there.

5. And here is a cool photo of a decal catching the light.

IMG_8576.jpg

6. The 4runner's been driven about 500 miles since the fuel cell install. Needless to say, with no windshield, these drive times are getting really short. I'm looking forward to figuring out the visor/windshield kit.
IMG_8563.jpg

Update! Here's a driving video!

IMG_8689 (1).jpg

I've added a vent tube to the garage for the vent line of the fuel cell.

And the dash is slowly taking shape. I mounted the stock 12v outlets, and UV stable HDPE plastic board (seaboard) is ready for pickup in Dallas. I'll use it to build the dash.

IMG_8623.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom