3FE Owners Check-In (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW! Thanks for the help, I had the engine de-smogged last year. I have an odd low idle problem every now and then, someone recommend chaining all the hoses. worth a shot! Thanks again!
Low rpm or osillating idle is a clogged vacuum input on the two hard lines on top of the throttle body. Grab a needle clammped in a pair of needle nose pliers to reach it, remove the intake hose and poke out the carbon on the inside top of the throttle body, then spray out with MAF cleaner.

Has anyone ever replaced all the vacuum lines on their 3FE? Are all the line 3.5 and 7.0 inside diameter?

Do one at a time and spray throttle body cleaner into the two vacuum ports on top of the throttle body. Go to your stealership and order lines there, its not too much and will last for 20 years. 3.5 and 5.5 again dont buy anything but toyota for this one.

View attachment 3229591

View attachment 3229592

View attachment 3229593

This is what you need and the best bang for your buck too , at over 8’ feet long there is a ZERO waist or drops that you trim off each smaller section if you were to piece meal it together that way .

and yes , only do one single line at one single time end to end …

If you don’t you will know why you didn’t in the first place fast 💨

1F8675E0-C342-4EC2-B38A-9479AEE41766.jpeg

9508AB0B-A6B7-40EA-8C7A-EB33F27A32B5.jpeg

B981E9D1-DD13-4167-BCC0-530E5CE1D2F5.jpeg

Low rpm or osillating idle is a clogged vacuum input on the two hard lines on top of the throttle body. Grab a needle clammped in a pair of needle nose pliers to reach it, remove the intake hose and poke out the carbon on the inside top of the throttle body, then spray out with MAF cleaner.
Thank you will look into that!

So with my odd idle problem when in drive at a stop sign, (drops to 300-200 RPM's) what's the likely hood of the Throttle Position Sensor needing to be replaced or am I able to "CLEAN" it up?

Last edited:
Checking in better late than never..
Gotta a 91’ fj80 3FE with 256k

Bought this eyesore for 1000 dollars 6months ago and it has been a life changing project ever since..

Ive done a full ignition tune up, complete cooling system refresh, de smogged, replaced maf, tps, and iac (it was idling at 1800 when I bought her…), replaced all connector housings, cleaned fuel injectors, valves and timing adjusted, gaskets replaced, belts changed, filters…I could go on and on. But so far I’ve only loved on the engine. You’d laugh if you saw the rest of the vehicle.

I bought this cruiser in critical condition. PO couldn’t have cared less about maintenance, things were fixed with tape and band aids. It has been pretty satisfying bringing life back into this vehicle. There was a reason I got it for 1000 dollars.

After 6months of pouring everything I have to get this cruiser running right I finally took the ole 3fe for a 4 hour drive and she runs like a clock. She purs steadily at 650 and quiet as can be. Just getting started!

Thankful to this MUD community, I think I spend more time here than with my family

Checking in better late than never..
Gotta a 91’ fj80 3FE with 256k

Bought this eyesore for 1000 dollars 6months ago and it has been a life changing project ever since..

Ive done a full ignition tune up, complete cooling system refresh, de smogged, replaced maf, tps, and iac (it was idling at 1800 when I bought her…), replaced all connector housings, cleaned fuel injectors, valves and timing adjusted, gaskets replaced, belts changed, filters…I could go on and on. But so far I’ve only loved on the engine. You’d laugh if you saw the rest of the vehicle.

I bought this cruiser in critical condition. PO couldn’t have cared less about maintenance, things were fixed with tape and band aids. It has been pretty satisfying bringing life back into this vehicle. There was a reason I got it for 1000 dollars.

After 6months of pouring everything I have to get this cruiser running right I finally took the ole 3fe for a 4 hour drive and she runs like a clock. She purs steadily at 650 and quiet as can be. Just getting started!

Thankful to this MUD community, I think I spend more time here than with my family

Where did you get the MAF, TPS, and IAC? Are they new or rebuilt? Thanks

Where did you get the MAF, TPS, and IAC? Are they new or rebuilt? Thanks
The MAF I ordered was from cruiserparts..works great.

I also ordered an IAC from them and it came non functioning. Super frustrating spending spending 350 on one that doesn’t work..I ended up getting lucky and finding a spare off a parts vehicle where I’m located. But now I own 3 IAC valves..

The TPS I ordered new from Toyota part #89452-14050 and calibrating it per the fsm made a world of difference.

The MAF I ordered was from cruiserparts..works great.

I also ordered an IAC from them and it came non functioning. Super frustrating spending spending 350 on one that doesn’t work..I ended up getting lucky and finding a spare off a parts vehicle where I’m located. But now I own 3 IAC valves..

The TPS I ordered new from Toyota part #89452-14050 and calibrating it per the fsm made a world of difference.
I mean to say AFM, not MAF

Here is a pic of the 90amp alternator installed. =)
View attachment 3215610
Marco Lau, I was wondering what voltage you're alternator is outputting at idle in gear. I just installed the same unit from VintageTeqParts and it seems to be under performing at idle with any kind of additional load. i.e. headlights, heater on low, brake pressed, turn signal

Thank you

Marco Lau, I was wondering what voltage you're alternator is outputting at idle in gear. I just installed the same unit from VintageTeqParts and it seems to be under performing at idle with any kind of additional load. i.e. headlights, heater on low, brake pressed, turn signal

Thank you
Mine idles around 13.6-13.8 in gear with headlight and a 12v fridge running. It bumps up to around 14.1-14.2 above 2k rpm.

Mine idles around 13.6-13.8 in gear with headlight and a 12v fridge running. It bumps up to around 14.1-14.2 above 2k rpm.
Thank you. What does your LC idle at in park and in gear. I feel like I'm idling a little low. (about 630-640 in park and about 600 in gear) Above 2000 rpm I get 14.0-14.1v which seems about right. Warmed up and in gear at a stop light with headlights, brakes on, turn signal on, and heater fan on one It can go as low as 12.3v. What do you guys think? Battery tests good,

Thank you. What does your LC idle at in park and in gear. I feel like I'm idling a little low. (about 630-640 in park and about 600 in gear) Above 2000 rpm I get 14.0-14.1v which seems about right. Warmed up and in gear at a stop light with headlights, brakes on, turn signal on, and heater fan on one It can go as low as 12.3v. What do you guys think? Battery tests good,
It idles @ around 650 rpm in gear and a bit more in N and P. If you are getting 14 v above 2000 rpm, i wouldnt worry about it. Your idle might be a bit low, might be some vacuum leak?

It idles @ around 650 rpm in gear and a bit more in N and P. If you are getting 14 v above 2000 rpm, i wouldnt worry about it. Your idle might be a bit low, might be some vacuum leak?
Yeah. I’ll go over vacuum this weekend. Gotta get those rpm’s up a bit. Seems like 50 rpm’s can make a huge difference with the alternator.

Looked at it today. Can’t seem to find any vacuum leaks. Still having the issue. If I raise the rpm a bit by hand (around 650 in gear), alternator charges how I think it should. Hopefully I’ll be able to mess with it more this weekend.
What is your timing? You can advance it a bit to raise the rpm

What is your timing? You can advance it a bit to raise the rpm
I believe around 7 degrees (within factory spec). Maybe I'll bump it up a tiny bit. Do you have any issues with CA smog having it above factory specs? I may not get to it this weekend but I will continue to give updates. thank you

I believe around 7 degrees (within factory spec). Maybe I'll bump it up a tiny bit. Do you have any issues with CA smog having it above factory specs? I may not get to it this weekend but I will continue to give updates. thank you

You can just loosen the bolt on the distributor and rotate it CC. to advance timing a bit. You will notice the RPM will increase a bit as well. This is how to adjust timing on the 3FE and no problem with SMOG that i am aware of. Also the golden screw on the intake manifold can be adjusted slightly, check the screw setting. It should be 1/4 to 1/8th turn from fully close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom