3D printed LV handles Gaskets sets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still looking for material options. Went to another supplier who is printing a different material but still plastic based. All keep saying that plastic is the way to go. But I have a feeling there is a better material.

Waiting on a more suppliers to either confirm my findings or offer an alternative.

Will keep you posted.

An update.

Found two new companies. Pursuing a TPU material with one and a zflex with the other. Will have them print a sample each to evaluate.

Also working with another to cut flat sheets of rubber using the designs I have to make flats rubber gaskets.

So might be able to offer two or three options when this exercise is over.

A little update.

So now I have three 3D printed sample.
One printed in PA11, one is PA12 both hard plastic that don’t have any give. Have one printed in a flex material but it’s not solid and the finish is not smooth, it’s a bit stringy and not the quality I would install on my truck. Plus it has microscopic holes in the print which would make it not water proof.

Working on two more options.

One is cutting 2D rubber (so flat sheets) to the design parameters we have. Doing this to see as it could always be an option. If all else fails.

The other option we are developing is printing a smooth 3D master and making silicon moulds to pour in a polyurethane material. I saw a sample of the finish and it looks amazing.

Attached are pictures of the flexi print to show you my issues with it.

Will share more images as I get them.

B0A86EE4-7E2F-4230-BDA0-47B01562947A.jpeg

8B751AC1-C976-4394-8D2B-44DF78078922.jpeg

A couple thoughts: What type of 3D printing are you using? Stereolithography might be something to look into. It uses a laser to cure liquid resin. I know there are a few different flexible materials you can get. It'll help solve the layer adhesion problem that FDM usually has. It also will stop the stringey-ness that you get from FDM.

Deepening on how much interest this is getting, it could be worth it to go with injection molding. It's more of a cost upfront but the materials are endless and you can manufacture perfect reproductions.

A couple thoughts: What type of 3D printing are you using? Stereolithography might be something to look into. It uses a laser to cure liquid resin. I know there are a few different flexible materials you can get. It'll help solve the layer adhesion problem that FDM usually has. It also will stop the stringey-ness that you get from FDM.

Deepening on how much interest this is getting, it could be worth it to go with injection molding. It's more of a cost upfront but the materials are endless and you can manufacture perfect reproductions.

The problem is I see the market for these to be around a 100 units in total. So working on solutions for that quantity to be honest.

Also the issue is most 3D printers here are using harder materials because that’s what the market wants. Architectural and car accessories for police fleets and the sort.

I believe this last solution of pouring into a silicone mould we are working on could be the best for 100 sets.

Going to collect the flat rubber sheet that was cut to our dimensions to fit it to the handle and see how that looks.

59505165-A01B-4B72-B18B-AEB6A1649059.jpeg

Got the flat rubber sheet cut set today. Will fit up to the car and share pictures.

97632B1A-B49D-41CA-A5EF-38CD5C4BF059.jpeg

Silicone mold would be best based on quantity, you will also get the best quality i think.

Yah it seems so.

All the people I’m taking to in the 3D world seem to agree that none of the 3D Flexible materials available are not stable enough for outdoor use. Well at least the flexible materials where I live.

Stay tuned.

That does look pretty good and once it’s tightened down it would provide a good seal. Does the edge of the rubber bulge whe it’s clamped down? It’s tough to tell from the pictures.

That does look pretty good and once it’s tightened down it would provide a good seal. Does the edge of the rubber bulge whe it’s clamped down? It’s tough to tell from the pictures.

Don’t know as I only had one bolt on there that was finger tight. I’m sure if you over tighten it will come up a touch like all rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom