350fi intermittent starts...what to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 78 fj with a 350 in it. i just installed holley projection. the FI system is working flawlessly. however upon start up the starter doesn't turn over all the time. i jumped the ignition wire from the starter to the battery and it cranks and starts with no problem. checked the voltage at the wire and it getting 11.3 volts when the battery directly is at 12v. do the crusier gods think it is a bad ignition switch? a bad ground? any help would be greatly appreciated........ or i might shoot this thing:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I had a problem like that w/my sbc.
I regrounded everything and life is good now. BATTERY TO ENGINE BLOCK, block to frame, block to body.
Good luck

Was it OK before installing the fuel injection? How did you hook the FI into the electrical system?
Which side is the battery on? Which side for the alt? (both passenger side?)

make the Gods happy and drop a 2F back under the hood.....;p

it was fine prior to install. an yes the optima batt and alternator are on the passenger side. any other help is appreciated. at the fuse block i am not getting full voltage...:doh:

jumping

Are you saying you jumped to the main battery cable or jumped to the solenoid with a wire?

To start clean your battery connections and grounds even if they look good and charge the battery

Do the headlights dim when you turn the key to start and it does not crank?

i jumped the solenoid with a wire direct to batt and it fired every time.

i will clean the connections... tomm

havn't checked the if the headlights dim...

i think i am just gonna replace that crappy optima battery. more trouble then they are worth

Is switched power to feed the EFI wire harness coming from the fuse block? If so, and the GM alt & battery is hooked to the stock wire harness to feed the fuse block, there could be voltage drop like what you're seeing when the key is on. Just a thought.

no i am using a swithced power wire direct from the distributor. have a full 12v volts from there the other power wire is direct to the battery.

I have no idea, but I'm only wondering if the Holley system is robbing you of additional voltage on starting (by-passing your starter wiring that provides additional juice on starting), or if the Holley system does not provide fuel enrichment on starting. I know the original Projection systems were missing most of the ball players from the team-----not my injection of choice!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom