35" Tires. Ring and Pinion or 10% T-Case Gears? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm on 33's and had the 10% underdrive done by @cruiseroutfit a few months ago and it's been excellent. Didn't raise the RPM's so much that freeway driving is miserable, but is much easier to maintain freeway speeds.

When I had 35s, I did both high and low range gears from @cruiseroutfit through @ACC Toyota . I LOVED THE RESULTS! I had stock gears in the pumpkins and ran 315s. It was a huge improvement. Low range was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than it was before...and lower than it would have been with 4.56s or 4.88s. The high range was almost equivalent to 4.56s in the diffs. Now that I have 37s, I just added 4.56s in the diffs and that equated to a net effect of 5.00 with even lower low range. I couldn't be happier.

Oh and with the 315s, I was very surprised at the MPG difference. I didn't expect any improvement. Look at these four fill ups and see if you can see where the gear change happened (you can ignore the EF, that is just my marker that I filled up with Ethanol Free gas). THAT IS A 15% MPG IMPROVEMENT!!!

Oh, and YES, these numbers are adjusted for speedo differences as my totals miles are taken from the GPS, not the odometer.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
“Regearing the diffs is the best place to balance out the driveline torque throughout the whole drivetrain....
^ this is what I've had a hunch about for a while and it makes perfect sense.
That said, all the other comments saying 'just the t-case gears work' is also encouraging as that's what I've been wanting to do to get to 35's with some sort of power band/control. (read cheapest first)
Of course tho, it's not like we're talking about alot of torque from a 300kmi vintage 1FZ, and certainly not from my own 1FZ that went 'steam-powered' when I put on 33's.
I've read all the other threads on this topic, but thanks to those who responded to this one simply for a modern/recent update on the issue. Great info to chew on. 👍

edit: just went for 4.88 Nitros front and rear @ <$200. Couldn't pass that up!

Last edited:
My brother and I installed the 10% underdrive Sumo Gears in our transfer cases a few weeks ago. I bought a cheap shop press from Harbor Freight and we got after it. We did not take the entire cases out. We took the backs off to get to the gear sets. The first one took us a while but the second one was done in approximately 3 hours start to finish.

If you are going to tackle this job in your driveway and intend to do it the way we did (taking the case apart under the rig) then be sure to remove the wiring harness from the top of the t-case. Take the CDL actuator off, and get the detent and spring out of the transfer case before re-installing the gears.

Overall the install was simple. I wish the Sumo Gears came with some instructions. That would have been killer.

There is a tiny whine with my Gears at around 70 MPH. I am running some 32 inch tires right now and I run about 2700 rpm at 70 MPH. I installed these Gears in anticipation of running 35 inch tires in the fall. I also have some 4.56 gear sets I will be installing after the tires.

Suuuper great product. Super great price. Best mod on my rig yet. Directions would make this a 5 star product

With my shiny new transfer case from cruiseoutfitters and bfg 37” tires I and still seeing 15 mpg with my truck…
Happy as hell with that and that’s at 70mpg in central Florida
Axles are still stock at 4:10

I went to Nitros site but didn’t see info about these being on sale. Where are you guys getting them?

Only a few random items are on sale, and you don't know which ones until you open the page. A bit annoying since their site is a bit slow right now, probably because of the sale. For example, 4.37 front gears are also on sale, but not the rears. Or maybe it was the other way around, but you get the idea.

They also have the front solid pinion spacer + shim set on sale for $11.50 (SKU: SKCSTV6), but the rear one is still $70+. But they have the crush sleeve for the rear on sale for $7... But why go through all the effort of a gear install and leave a crush sleeve.

I went to Nitros site but didn’t see info about these being on sale. Where are you guys getting them?
I ordered from justdifferentials.com.
But I just checked and it looks like both front and rear 4.88 are out of stock now. I'd imagine you could still order and they would back fill when possible. But a call first would prob be best.

I ordered from justdifferentials.com.
But I just checked and it looks like both front and rear 4.88 are out of stock now. I'd imagine you could still order and they would back fill when possible. But a call first would prob be best.

Cruiser Outfitters has them in stock. They could ship tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom