Transfer Case Snap Rings - Again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like I am the latest victim of the wrong part numbers being listed for the transfer case snap rings, as seen in....

Need help! dealer keeps ordering a wrong snap ring for Viscous coupler by @BlackLS1

and

Spyduh's LX450 Build (Motor Rebuild + Wits End Turbo Kit) by @spyduh

According to those threads, it has been established that the part numbers listed by Toyota are wrong, but no one was able to provide a correct part number. One person was able to find another Toyota snap ring, but it was used and the didn't know the part number. The other went full send and made a new one out of tool steel. I'm a pretty decent mechanic and amateur fabricator, but I don't have a machine shop. Someone else got one that fit from a transmission shop.

I would prefer to replace these, as Toyota does indicate they are one time use, I did replace all the bearings, and a couple of these now need much thicker rings than original (according to Toyota, you pick the thickness that "minimizes end play".

@cruiserdan stepped in to try to assist back in the day, but the thread died after an alternative solution was found.

The problem seems pretty obvious really, I'm thinking whomever provided the part numbers grabbed them for a 44mm EXTERNAL snap ring, where these are 44mm INTERNAL.

My first choice would be to use Toyota parts in the correct thickness, so I'm wondering if anyone ever has, or can assist with, figuring this out.

I have looked at the non-viscous transfer case (doesn't have the snap ring for the viscous coupler obviously, but also doesn't have the bearing I'm trying to retain. It does have the third location that the parts listing shows that part used, but it's the same part number. Also went looking for the transfer case, V or not, in other Toyotas, but not having much luck there either. Can't find a listing of Toyota snap rings by size at all.

Stolen parts diagram, we are here...

DiffSnapRings.png

SnapRingParts.png

The parts I ordered, vs. what I need...

PXL_20220818_131456717.jpg

PXL_20220818_131529868.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

90520-39022? Maybe.

How thick is the original?

After digging around it looks like the 90520-39022 is also too large. What are the exact measurements on the existing ring? I asked that question a few times 9 years ago and again a couple years ago and nobody replied.

I saw that, other guy went away after he found a solution. I'm at work at the moment, but I have the part with me. Hoping to lay my hands on calipers and I'll be in touch.

Thank you for looking in to this !

Jason

I need ID, OD and thickness. I may strike out but I need that dimensional bat to swing at it.

Also any numbers or letters, if any.

Well that contradicts references to 34 mm that have been tossed around. Do you have a 90520-39022 in the parts pile. The part number infers an ID of 39mm.

The 90520-39022 shows a thickness of 1.2mm and should have an ID of 39mm. I haven't found an image yet to look at the ears and general shape.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 15-19-48 36-10 TRANSFER GEAR diagram 1996 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER.png

I do not have a 90520-39022, I did try to order it, but came back as discontinued, no supersession. I didn't make the connection with the part numbers to the diameter. That makes sense, the 90520-39022 at 1.2mm is likely the original part, the others being 440XX gives the problem away ? Any correlation between the part number and inner / outer and thickness ? I do see that 39023 and 39024 are snap rings and good part numbers. Edit before posting, pics of 23 looks like it is external. Of course if everything else was correct, the ears could be adjusted.

Jason

Thicknesses are not listed for the 39023 or 39024. I can't find a purported photo of a 39024. I did find a 39023.
Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 16-44-39 90520-39023 - Google Search.png

39022 confirmed discontinued. Megazip claims to have it, if you are OK with 34 bucks freight for it.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 16-53-13 https __www.megazip.net.png

I would pay that to get this thing back together, but with the new bearing the original ring is loose in the groove. I mean, I guess if there are no other parts, that would be as much as end play can be "minimized"... I really need about a 1.9 to fill the gap. I'm no transmission guy, is it really a concern here or ?

I may order a few of the others like 39023 to see what I get. If I can get an internal ring that is otherwise right, I can file the ends. Or I could take this one to a transmission shop to see what they have. Of course, they refused to touch the transfer case rebuild.

I really do appreciate you looking in to this.

Jason

Asking my local deal to order some of the part numbers discussed here. Between some other posts / browsing diagrams and (mostly) Dan's input, I'm trying

90520-36251
90520-39023
90520-39024
90520-39032

To see what I get. Interestingly, re-reading the FSM, the particular snap ring I'm struggling with just says "install snap ring", it does not have the "minimize play" note that some of the others do. I was thinking it did after the wrong part number above listed several thicknesses. That makes me feel a bit better about finding either a new 39022 or another part that is "close enough".

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom