33x12.5 or 35x12.5 tires?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't decide which tires to run on a '92, FJ80. I just installed a 2" OME lift and currently have stock wheels and tires (31"x10.50"x15), on it but I want to size up a bit. I definitely want to keep the same wheels, but can't decide what size tires to run. Will I notice a big difference with power (3FE engine and stock gears), between the 33's and 35's, and if I did decide to go with the 35's, would it be recommended to change the gearing?

In the same situation with my 94-80.
Have dry rotted 33's currently.
I agree with the v8 swap,,,,,,,,,
one day.:D

Here's my 91 with a 2" dobinson lift on 33s.

PXL_20221205_185958741.jpg

With a 2" lift you'll probably rub with 35's. Mine barely rub the inner rear fender on full compression and I have a 3" lift plus a 1 inch body lift.

I had 33's before and the difference is very noticeable in regards to acceleration and braking. It's livable with the 4.5L, I would not want to have 35's with the 4.0L. I'd stick to 33's in your case.

33's got me everywhere I wanted to go, 35's just make it slightly easier. I'm building another rig for off-roading and will seriously look at going back to 33's again once the land cruiser is regulated to more overlanding type duty.

3FE I’d lean 33’s unless your wallet is too fat to sit on and your can go for gears. 1FZ can run 35’s and its not the end of the world. I have 35’s on stock wheels and they stuff under all 4 corners without any issues.

3FE I’d lean 33’s unless your wallet is too fat to sit on and your can go for gears. 1FZ can run 35’s and its not the end of the world. I have 35’s on stock wheels and they stuff under all 4 corners without any issues.
is yours lifted with those 35'? wondering if stock wheels and stock suspension can take 35's without causing strain and issues as well as rubbing

I can't decide which tires to run on a '92, FJ80. I just installed a 2" OME lift and currently have stock wheels and tires (31"x10.50"x15), on it but I want to size up a bit. I definitely want to keep the same wheels, but can't decide what size tires to run. Will I notice a big difference with power (3FE engine and stock gears), between the 33's and 35's, and if I did decide to go with the 35's, would it be recommended to change the gearing?
You might want to consider a narrower tire with the stock 7" rims. 33x10.5.

With a 2" lift you'll probably rub with 35's. Mine barely rub the inner rear fender on full compression and I have a 3" lift plus a 1 inch body lift.

I had 33's before and the difference is very noticeable in regards to acceleration and braking. It's livable with the 4.5L, I would not want to have 35's with the 4.0L. I'd stick to 33's in your case.

33's got me everywhere I wanted to go, 35's just make it slightly easier. I'm building another rig for off-roading and will seriously look at going back to 33's again once the land cruiser is regulated to more overlanding type duty.
This has not been my experience. The difference from 33s to 35s wasn't very noticeable. Same with the braking on my 97.

Both the 33s and 35s...it's still incredibly slow.

This has not been my experience. The difference from 33s to 35s wasn't very noticeable. Same with the braking on my 97.

Both the 33s and 35s...it's still incredibly slow.
Would 35’s fit stock suspension if you’re not off roading? Or will there be rubbing?

I have owned my 91 for about 8 yrs now and it was stock when i picked her up. I have had stock tires, 33s, 35s and now 37s for the past 5 yrs now. I would say if you are not going to regear, stick with 33s. And if you have plans to run 35s or larger tires, go with 4.88. I ran 4.88 with 35s and it has been great. 37s will need a bit more gearing, so i regeared my T-case high range and did the part time and also put in crawler gears. It is perfect for the types of stuff i do with the rig and it will do 75 mph and 55-65 up steep stuff.

20230610_133644.jpg

@AK Troutbum In my opinion just go with the 33's. If I ever get a 3rd 80 series I will stick to 33's. I have ran a 91 with 35's and a re gear and my current 97 with 35's and a re gear.

These rigs are still super capable with 33's and you will save money on tires, wear and tear, and avoiding a regear.

Also being in Alaska I am sure you will actually be driving on lots of grades as you travel highways and the 33's will be much nicer for maintaining speed on the hills.

The only reason I could see you justifying 35's would be if you are doing a lot of driving on the soft tundra up there.

Goodluck

Would 35’s fit stock suspension if you’re not off roading? Or will there be rubbing?
If the purpose would be for appearances only, be advised that this would look absolutely ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom