2FE or 1HZ? I've never felt more conflicted... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I sold the 350/SM420 out of my cruiser yesterday, so I'm committed now to a motor swap.

I've been working on the "2FE" motor for a while, collected all of the parts I need over the last few years, done a ton of reading, and started putting it all together over the last couple weeks... and now suddenly I'm having a ton of doubt.

Do I want to do a diesel instead? Part of me really, really wants to do a 1HZ. Is this because it's different? Does it make sense? I have spent the last few days reading like crazy, and trying to make up my mind. I know doing a diesel will be a lot more expensive, and take a lot longer because of that. I have a transmission and tansfercase for the 2FE that now won't work, I have everything minus a clutch for the 2FE, I would have to start totally over with more expensive parts for the 1HZ.... however... I still can't shake that I might regret not doing to diesel engine.

I have owned my cruiser since I was 16. I will NEVER sell this one. I will keep it forever. If any of my vehicles make sense to put an expensive engine into, it's the 40. I just can't decide if I'm just lusting after what I don't have, or if it makes sense.

Thoughts? ...and no, an LS is not the answer.

48387515_2123377244659376_8106660469512601600_n.jpg

If you really keep that 40 "forever" you will have tons of time to put motors in it. You can build and rebuild into anything you want. You already have a 2FE mostly together. You have everything but a clutch. I'd just get it running and use that. Going forward, it will eventually either break, or parts will no longer be available and then you can swap to a different motor. Maybe that 2.8 Cummins, maybe who knows what will be available.

But with that truck, meaning no disrespect, I think a $$$$ build would be a waste unless it's just a personal interest. As always, What's our budget?

If you have the means$ to do it and not be put off by a much longer downtime, I'd say go for it.

IMO, a 2FE is kinda meh...:meh: I had a marks offroad carb on my 55 and in Colorado it always started quick no matter how cold, ran fine (as well as a 2f will on 35's over mountain passes) and never seemed to stall out on off-camber wheeling. I had really no desire to go TBI until my 40 with a 350. I put TBI on and it made a world of difference on that quadra-jet rig, albeit more complicated to work on. I grabbed a TBI off of a police cruiser for $100)

As you know:
A 1HZ is a great engine that toyota is still making. There are tons of parts available, you can turbo it if you want. Parts are easy to get and pretty fast from online sources and companies the @cruiseroutfit who deals a lot in 70 series stuff. If it's a rig you've had a long time and don't plan on selling soon, why not. It makes a unique vehicle even more unique and updated. 1HZ, H55f, split case is a great setup and would serve you years to come.

Your 2FE would sell much better as running unit someone could see/drive in your truck, however thats a chunk more work since you have an empty engine bay right now. If you are considering a 1HZ, I'm going to assume you understand the financial costs for a swap like this as toyota diesels are like gold, then add the time and plenty of unexpected costs.

That said, is this the start of the build thread?? :)

Find yourself a 1HZ and we can get you from there to the drivelines with a brand new H55F, new split t-case, bellhousing, etc. Everything needed :cool:

Fork or spoon? Find yourself one of each to drive / ride in and decide for yourself. I know which way I would go (and have gone), that doesn't mean it's right for you.

@hairy_apple if you are down in San Diego, you can drive my HZ powered 44. If you're patient, you can drive my HZ powered '72 40 when it's done...

The 1HZ in my 73 series is reliable, simple, and easy to work on IMO. However, mine's a non-turbo motor and it is SLOOOOOWW. Don't expect to get anywhere fast. and my best mileage so far was 18mpg with 265/70 R16's

As for the Toyota diesel, unless you are prepared for high prices and possibly long waits for parts, I wouldn't consider it.

So far I haven’t found the parts to be much more expensive (oem) and getting the parts from quite a few websites is pretty fast. I have a 13bt which still has Almost all the of parts available and they haven’t been made since 89 I believe. I shipped a bunch of parts and they came from overseas in like 4 days.

A few years ago parts took forever to locate and ship, but it’s probabaly easier to find 1Hz parts over 2f now.

What was the reason for ditching the 350? Did priorities change suddenly? If not and 1HZ doesn't fit original reasons, then you're probably jonesing.

Last edited:
A lot of gas stations in smaller towns do not even have diesel available so just a something to consider...One time I was driving somewhere and 5th gas station on my way was selling diesel...Those 4 others did not...If I would be you I would put 2FE in it and see how you like it..In next few years compare your 40 with others who has 1HZ in it and see...Choice is yours...Good luck with it!!

Last edited:
I went with a 2fe in my fj40 and love it. Power is what I want, and it runs great (even thiugh I still havent tuned it and it has a vacuum leak!)

I would say the question you should be asking yourself: do you want a natually asperated motor or a turbo motor?? With either senario the fun comes from the turbo, not if its a gas or a diesel motor.

If your having a hard time deciding about the 2fe, your welcome to come out to Livermore and take my ‘71 for a drive.

Go with what you want most, not necessarily what is easiest to you. Truck is already apart and you may not want to do that again in the future with time availability and other priorities that come up. If you drive it a lot and do longer trips then the 1hz with a turbo is a great choice. The 2FE probably would do ok for that too, just with somewhat worse hwy mileage and far less range on the trail. My 2f truck has about double the fuel bill to my 3B turbo truck for longer trips with a lot of trail time.

I went with a 2fe in my fj40 and love it. Power is what I want, and it runs great (even thiugh I still havent tuned it and it has a vacuum leak!)

I would say the question you should be asking yourself: do you want a natually asperated motor or a turbo motor?? With either senario the fun comes from the turbo, not if its a gas or a diesel motor.

If your having a hard time deciding about the 2fe, your welcome to come out to Livermore and take my ‘71 for a drive.

I might take you up on that, I would like to know what I am getting!

Reactions: GRM
A lot of gas stations in smaller towns do not even have diesel available so just a small thing to consider...One time I was driving somewhere and 5th gas station on my way was selling diesel...Those 4 others did not...If I would be you I would put 2FE in it and see how you like it..In next few years compare your 40 with others who has 1HZ in it and see...Choice is yours...Good luck with it!!

After a few close calls I’ve started marking in my road atlas what stations in the south and west desert do or do not have diesel.

That single pump at the Hite marina is open year round and has saved my ass more than once :hillbilly:

For the cost of a 1hz....

You can get a low mile 1fz. new h55f and new Bell and newly rebuilt split case and a NWF doubler !

1fz in a sub 4300lb vehicle rocks - Will get same mpg as a 1hz. 2fe pales to 1fz.

What's your budget?
If you want something that is going to withstand the sands of time, bring the vehicle into the current age and increase its value no end then have a look at the 1HD-FTE or even the 1KD-FTV. You'd have something quite original along with a bullet proof drive train that will outlast all of us.
The 1HD will take as much to fit in the bay as the 1HZ but is far superior. Sure it's wiring is more complex but you get a whole lot more for the effort. A stand alone wiring harness can be made to suit.
I wouldn't put in a 1HZ if it wasn't turbocharged. They just don't cut it in comparison to what else is available. Everyone over here is throwing them out for the 1HD. The N/A diesel is for mining companies and the old farmer out checking his sheep.
Personally I wouldn't even consider a petrol engine compared to what we now get in modern diesels.

"We" dont get modern diesels here in the USA unfortunately....and for the cost of 1x1hdfte.....you can get the more durable 1fz for 1/10the cost. :) And 1/10 is waaaay underestimated...$500 vs $8500 here !!!

You may not have them in your local vehicles but that doesn't mean you can't get them. That's why I ask about the OP's budget. Maybe he's happy to spend more on his beloved vehicle giving him a much better end result.
I don't see how the 1FZ is more durable? The 1HDFTE is well known for its bullet proof durability and touted by many as one of if not the best 6 cylinder diesel engine ever produced.
I've never said its going to be a cheaper option, just opening the eyes of the OP (and others) to what else is available if they wish to look into it further.
If it were me I'd actually be going for the 1KD. Yes it's a bigger job to fit but a perfect match for the 40 chassis. Also this conversion, from what I know, has only been performed in your country, even though you do not have these engines in your local market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom