2F sale price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m tearing into my 87’ FJ60 and planning on doing a V8 swap. I looking at selling the 2F but don’t know what to ask for it. I saw some pretty obnoxious prices online for them. What did you guys pay for one/what do you think is a fair price.

All original

yea but somewhere in there is a fair price right?

too many people taking advantage of the following of these trucks.

Uh, yeah. Hence my statement. You are not the first person to ask this question in the past 15 years of MUD. :rolleyes:

One’s notion of fair is another person’s notion of getting bent over.

So, ergo, the engine is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with Onur, however I will try to narrow it to what I would pay and I've bought 4 late 2Fs over the years, last one about 3 years ago.

Mileage is high. Was it running (well) ? When pulled? Was it overheated or burning oil or sucking coolant?

Will all the attachments come with it? (Int/Exh, carb, alt, smog bits, etc ...)

If answer to most of the above is yes and hasn't been overheated or has a cracked head, for example, I'd pay between $400 -$600 if the motor is a core and due for a rebuild. Engine only without attachments, and only as a core $200 or less. But as Onur says, there may be someone who really wants it.

Price will also determine how long it sits on a pallet taking up space in or next to your garage...

I agree with Onur, however I will try to narrow it to what I would pay and I've bought 4 late 2Fs over the years, last one about 3 years ago.

Mileage is high. Was it running (well) ? When pulled? Was it overheated or burning oil or sucking coolant?

Will all the attachments come with it? (Int/Exh, carb, alt, smog bits, etc ...)

If answer to most of the above is yes and hasn't been overheated or has a cracked head, for example, I'd pay between $400 -$600 if the motor is a core and due for a rebuild. Engine only without attachments, and only as a core $200 or less. But as Onur says, there may be someone who really wants it.

Price will also determine how long it sits on a pallet taking up space in or next to your garage...

Thanks that’s more of the info I am looking for.

$500 for a stock original lump seems about right. More if it were low mileage or had a top end rework or such etc.

My personal opinion? See if you can use it to barter with someone on some stuff you’re going to need. For example, you may be able to trade it to someone for a set of doors or fenders or whatever. I’d throw a post up on CL or the classifieds here and see what you can get out of it for trade.

If you don’t want to do that, I think it would be better, again, in my opinion, to maybe take a decent video of it running, pull it out, spend a few bucks re-sealing it and clean it up, then advertise it for sale as such. It takes money to make money, so you may spend $100 on gaskets and seals to make $200 or $300 on a good running, no leak 2F.

Just know that with that many miles and the buyer knowing you pulled it to replace it with a new engine, it doesn't instill much confidence that it's an engine worth having.

Just about everyone here has a worn out 2F creaking along on tape and glue and if they wanted to rebuild a 2F, they'd rebuild their own. So from this end of the paddock, your worn out 2F is only useful for someone whose got either a cracked head, blown block or some other catastrophic failure (and wants to go down the 2F road again one more time).

Yeah, anywhere between $500 for a crusty but running engine all the way to $3k for a clean rebuilt one.

I would ask $500 for it and accept $350. If t's good like you say. These are boat anchors, though and don't have a lot of desirable features. But if you want an inefficient, low powered motor with limited parts support, the 2F is your motor!

Disclaimer: I actually like the 2F, but I would never pay to rebuild one. When that day comes, it's time for a modern motor. I bought an '85 with 120K for $350 and it's still running today in my FJ40. But I'd sure like an LS motor in my FJ60!

to me a late 2F is worth more in pieces than as a running engine, but I sell parts.

I need a good cylinder head if you want to sell just the head as long as its not cracked.
Thanks
Tommy

If it runs, post it up for $500.

At least once a month there’s someone posting here who’s mechanic gave their engine a terminal diagnosis and they just want a cheap runner to drop in.

Funny nobody mentioned it but a compression test would be very helpful to the seller and to the buyer

If the engine is still in the truck, take a video of it running (if it runs :shame: )

I would ask $500 for it and accept $350. If t's good like you say. These are boat anchors, though and don't have a lot of desirable features. But if you want an inefficient, low powered motor with limited parts support, the 2F is your motor!

Disclaimer: I actually like the 2F, but I would never pay to rebuild one. When that day comes, it's time for a modern motor. I bought an '85 with 120K for $350 and it's still running today in my FJ40. But I'd sure like an LS motor in my FJ60!
I have the 6.0 in my daily driver and am thinking of heading that direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom