2024 GX wait list (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope, improved fuel economy WAS the point and they blew it.
Which is what I've been telling the auto enthusiast community since the introduction of Ford's "EcoBoost". I'll laugh that my old 2010 Lexus GX460 with its thirsty 4.6L V8 gets essentially the same MPG and will be infinitely more reliable. :D

Last edited:
Holy s*** they knocked it out of the park. Boxy styling at an affordable price point (not LX level). I’ll miss the split tailgate but I really want this thing.

Holy s*** they knocked it out of the park. Boxy styling at an affordable price point (not LX level). I’ll miss the split tailgate but I really want this thing.

Looks like you're trading in the LX for the new GX?

Frame

GX550
GXP5017.jpg

Lexus LX600
20211014_01_55.jpg

+1 like the looks and styling of the GX over the new LX. Don't like the engine line up on either one of them. I prefer the v-8 and they should have never went away from them. They still throw them in the trucks and full size suvs in other brands. Looks like I'm keeping the LX we have solid v-8.

If they really want to increase overall efficiency give us the diesel version!

So it’s as long and as wide as a LC200, but with 30
Less HP and 80 more lbft of torque, a rear locker and EKDSS. The Twin Turbo’s will perform better at 8,9,10k feet but at boulder CO. Exact same HP. Lol. They made a LC 200 and called it a GX and slapped a rear locker and 14”
Screen on it!

+1 looks great

I need to see it in black and in person, to really give a good opinion. The more I look at it, the more it’s looking ok.

Nah, it was about emission but ok, let's consider what you're saying.... They "blew it" by giving the new vehicle 1500 lbs of additional towing capacity, 48 more hp, and 150 ft-lb more torque WITH better fuel economy. That's a miss? In what world?
When fullsize pickup trucks get better fuel economy than a midsize SUV, yes, they blew it.

I’m blown away that people don’t like this for what it is considering the current climate and what Toyota has thrown our way the last 5 years or more. But that’s what makes life fun.
Styling is subjective. Different people like different things. I'm not a fan of the current Lexus spindle grilles, but some people like them, so go figure. I really don't care for this. Yes, I like that the new GX is generally practical and upright, as that maximizes space. But the styling is too busy and too forced. It's overstyled, which has been typical of Toyota recently.

Do I like that they are focused on keeping this practical and off-road capable, with body-on-frame construction and a Torsen center diff? Sure. But I don't care for the styling and the fuel economy is a major disappointment. Perhaps the Toyota version and/or 4Runner will be more to my taste.

Definitely curious about the Halo Land Cruiser version. If it's anything like this. Hopefully a lot more bare bones. Steel wheels, same engine, maybe the 8 speed for better ground clearance, cloth seats, soft top? Manual transmission?
Cloth seats? Nope.
Soft top? Nope.
Manual transmission? Nope.

None of that is going to happen.

Breakover angle and clearance under the steps looks kind of "meh". If it has a 33" tire, it looks to have maybe 16" of clearance in that area (by eyeballing the clearance relative to the center of the hubs). My '07 on 32's with sliders has a whopping 19" there. This was also a complaint with the new Tacoma - Toyota is lowering the body lines in relation to the frame and hurting clearance (but providing more interior room). The substantial clearance of most older Toyotas in that area is one of the reasons they can wheel so well with smaller tires.

If they really want to increase overall efficiency give us the diesel version!
Unfortunately, in many parts of the US (including here in the Northeast), diesel is so much more expensive than gas that it negates any fuel economy savings. In addition, diesels require very expensive high pressure fuel injection systems and exhaust treatment systems. These fuel injection and exhaust treatment systems have had significant reliability issues.

We are not going to see a Toyota diesel in the US anytime soon.

So I'm wondering if maybe Toyota, now that they've made their intention known for GX, will either discontinue the 4Runner badge, or water it down from what it is currently. They have tried once before to redesign it into a crossover (2010) but FJ Cruiser wasn't selling well, so they kept the 4Runner as the offroad mid market choice. Began a TRD Pro trim.

They keep selling them as if to say to customers "grab them while you can", with the same engine and 5 speed automatic never changing. Other models with a similiar heritage (Tacoma) received more attention at refresh cycles. It makes no sense to have three (GX550, 4Runner, LC250) in the same lineup all with the same GA-F platform. It makes more sense to have the LC250 as the new Toyota offroad focused vehicle. Almost as if they sat down and debated which name and heritage they want to market for the US. I think Land Cruiser won. It will slot in right where TRD Pro is. $45-60k depending on options and trims.

Toyota knows the reason the 4Runner sells so well is because the customers prefer the 5 speed and 4.0. The 4Runner crowd knows that won't continue for the 6th generation. I doubt many from that crowd are thrilled about the new engine. I believe Toyota also knows that most 4Runner owners aspired to own a 200 and some purchased both. It's the name, Land Cruiser. I don't think those owners will miss the 4Runner if they know they can finally purchase their dream at a much cheaper price than $86,000. It will bring the Land Cruiser name back where it belongs, competing with Wrangler, Bronco, and Defender. Might call my dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom