2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if this is true or not, maybe someone can correct me. Isnt the prado much less overbuilt than the bigger land cruisers (100,200,300). I hear the drive components like the cv axles, tie rod ends, etc are much less robust and is more comparable to the 4runner. with this new shared platform will components be the same as the lx600 (300 series)?
Anybody that has driven or worked on both the 100/200 and 4runner/Prado will tell you that this is largely true. The bigger 100/200/300-series is in a categorie of its own. That being said, this time around the difference will be less big being that they all will share the same basic TNGA-F platform. Although the platform strength can be gauged up or down depending on vehicle needs. For example the TNGA-F on the new Tacoma is less robust as the TNGA-F on the Tundra.

Seems they're confirming a Land Cruiser sharing the GX550 platform ... so what does the 4runner end up being? Same platform with the smaller engine shared with the Tacoma?

That would have done nothing to solve the price issue of the LC. GR Sport is what, $150k or so? A stripped back GX could be just the ticket.

In Qatar the GR sport costs around $107k without dealer markup
And that's the most expensive lc300 in Qatar.

In the US it would have cost even less because your fully loaded 200 was cheaper than our fully loaded 200.

Doesn't the lx 600 start at $90k in the US?

I bet that you would be able to get a mid spec lc300 for the price of the highest spec US LC250 & that has a better engine and is arguably a better car too.

Reliving the history to carry on with the adventure at starting guard Mr M Mouse!
download.jpeg
Mickey_Mouse.png

That would have done nothing to solve the price issue of the LC. GR Sport is what, $150k or so? A stripped back GX could be just the ticket.
I'm guessing the price would be similar to the LX600 if Toyota kept the 300-series LC in the US.
150K is a lot more than the most expensive LX600 trim which costs 130K.
To give you an idea of the pricing in a couple of markets, let's look at the GR's pricing in Japan, UAE and Australia.

In Japan the GR cost 7,7 million yen or 53K USD (direct conversion)
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 16.39.18.png

In UAE the GR cost 412,900 AED or 112K USD (direct conversion)
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 16.40.52.png

In Australia the GR cost 152,178 Australian Dollar or 100K USD (direct conversion)
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 16.40.05.png

Yes, and the execs at Ford, GM, INEOS, Jeep, Honda, Nissan, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Skoda are loving the silhouette too. They are sabering open Jeroboams of vintage champagne as we speak.

In Qatar the GR sport costs around $107k without dealer markup
And that's the most expensive lc300 in Qatar.

In the US it would have cost even less because your fully loaded 200 was cheaper than our fully loaded 200.

Doesn't the lx 600 start at $90k in the US?

I bet that you would be able to get a mid spec lc300 for the price of the highest spec US LC250 & that has a better engine and is arguably a better car too
I'm guessing the price would be similar to the LX600 if Toyota kept the 300-series LC in the US.
150K is a lot more than the most expensive LX600 trim which costs 130K.
To give you an idea of the pricing in a couple of markets, let's look at the GR's pricing in Japan, UAE and Australia.

In Japan the GR cost 7,7 million yen or 53K USD (direct conversion)
View attachment 3366812

In UAE the GR cost 412,900 AED or 112K USD (direct conversion)
View attachment 3366814

In Australia the GR cost 152,178 Australian Dollar or 100K USD (direct conversion)
View attachment 3366815
Good work, yeah messed up and forgot to convert the 148k Aus price I found to usd.

Still point is, it's a 6 figure LC which was the problem for the US market.

Last edited:
As I said before.... USA:

2024 LX , ~ $100K
2024 Lexus GX off road trim, ~$75k
2024 LC Prado, ~$60k (I hope)
2024 T4R, ~ $45k

And then you have the TX and the rest ... But for off road, these are my hopes. Based on current 2024 LX prices, on going GX and T4R prices, and other countries trim levels.

Can't wait to see it here....

And yes ! The T4R and Prados ain't LC's, but the LC300 is not making it to the USA, and the $100k 2024 LX is way too much cash for that , so I will take whatever they do as LC here, Prado or not. But, btw, Prados even though not LC's, are very well made vehicles and used and rough in many other countries. Also, as mentioned above, they now share the same platform, which is an advance and advantage if we would like to think how close in quality the Prados would be to LCs.

👌🏾❣️

Looks like the Plano grapevine source link was pretty close.

View attachment 3366724

I hope those are not the headlights they use in the final version. Maybe they will grow on me overtime, but they look awful right now. The GX has a much better headlamp design.

Well, that’s no Jeep or Bronco :cool:

Seriously, they said "All-New Toyota Rugged SUV" which begs the question of how “New” or different than the 550? The approach / departure angles do appear to be better but the Overtrail already has all the gizmos other than front lockers so what else to rate it All-New and Rugged?

The T4R and Prados ain't LC's,

There is only one designator of whether a vehicle fits into the Land Cruiser vehicle category: The "J" in its model designation.

That's it. Nothing else. Regardless of what you want to "think."

All Prados (since their introduction and from when they were split off from the "heavy duty" Land Cruiser lineage) have been given the "J" designation in their model code.

Ergo, from Toyota's point of view, they are considered a part of the Toyota Land Cruiser family of vehicles (regardless of how they are marketed/sold/perceived, etc.)

A sampling of the "Prado" lineage. Notice the "J" in the vehicle family model designation character location:

LJ7x
RJ7x
KZJ7x
KZJ9x
RZJ9x
VZJ9x
GRJ12x
GDJ12x
KDJ12x
TRJ12x
VZJ12x
GRJ15x
GDJ15x
KDJ15x
LJ15x
TRJ15x
GSJ10 (FJC)
GSJ15 (FJC)
UZJ12x
URJ15x

Ad infinitum.

Well, that’s no Jeep or Bronco :cool:

Seriously, they said "All-New Toyota Rugged SUV" which begs the question of how “New” or different than the 550? The approach / departure angles do appear to be better but the Overtrail already has all the gizmos other than front lockers so what else to rate it All-New and Rugged?

I'll swipe left if this is what they bring to US market

Probably pick up a used corrolla or a taco as a DD and look for a JDM HZJ73

There is only one designator of whether a vehicle fits into the Land Cruiser vehicle category: The "J" in its model designation.

All Prados (since their introduction and from when they were split off from the "heavy duty" Land Cruiser lineage) have been given the "J" designation in their model code.

Ergo, from Toyota's point of view, they are considered a part of the Toyota Land Cruiser family of vehicles (regardless of how they are marketed/sold/perceived, etc.)

A sampling of the "Prado" lineage. Notice the "J" in the vehicle family model designation character location:

LJ7x
RJ7x
KZJ7x
KZJ9x
RZJ9x
VZJ9x
GRJ12x
GDJ12x
KDJ12x
TRJ12x
VZJ12x
GRJ15x
GDJ15x
KDJ15x
LJ15x
TRJ15x
GSJ10 (FJC)
GSJ15 (FJC)
UZJ12x
URJ15x

Ad infinitum.
Thank you. The weird ego stroking of what is a 'real' land cruiser is so very boring and fragile.

So - it's a midsize family adventure wagon. Almost certainly shares the same underpinnings with LC300 and GX550, presumably same wheel base, width, length, etc. as the LC300 and GX550. Small tires. Not sure on engines and price. If the GX starts around $65k, I can't see a 4cyl starting much more than $50k. A LC300 starts at $45k. So that's not too far off given that they're basically the same vehicle with a reskin. It also puts it directly in 4Runner territory. And it's size and shape are pretty close as well.

Where does that leave the 4Runner? If it doesn't make a hard turn toward the off-road enthusiast side it'll be directly competing with this LC. Maybe it really will be Rav4, Venza, NX. A bunch of the same thing with slight variations in style and overlapping prices.

Thank you. The weird ego stroking of what is a 'real' land cruiser is so very boring and fragile.
Emperor's clothes. At this point It's like arguing that a GMC 2500 is a real GM truck and a Chevy 2500 isn't. In the past it was more like 1500 vs 2500. But now that everything points to being the same thing underneath - there's just not much left to differentiate them outside of the preferred body style. If Toyota built a new FJ40 and sold it for $20k (the inflation adjusted MSRP of the last FJ40 in the USA), the same people would say it can't be a "real" Land Cruiser. Despite being exactly what original was.

Last edited:
If Toyota build a new FJ40 and sold it for $20k (the inflation adjusted MSRP of the last FJ40 in the USA), the same people would say it can't be a "real" Land Cruiser. Despite being exactly what original was.

The 1983 FJ40 had an MSRP of about $10,400.00. That would make it around $31,000.00 today.

LJ7x
RJ7x
KZJ7x
KZJ9x
RZJ9x
VZJ9x
GRJ12x
GDJ12x
KDJ12x
TRJ12x
VZJ12x
GRJ15x
GDJ15x
KDJ15x
LJ15x
TRJ15x
GSJ10 (FJC)
GSJ15 (FJC)
UZJ12x
URJ15x

Ad infinitum.
Even better then, THANK YOU ! I will buy it with more enthusiasm ! 🎉☀️.

I am absolutely more than fine and HAPPY with a Prado in the USA. It is what I wanted for years... A cheaper down to earth LC ! Hopefully with cloth seats, manual roll windows, but all the triple lockers, etc ! 🫶💥🥳🥳.

I have driven Prados before. I had Lexus (aka Prados) before. They might be J, but they don't feel like a LC100 or LC200. Absolutely lovely cars, but don't feel like a LC !

Again, I will buy the Prado in a split second ! In fact, my Toyota rep had me down since two weeks ago... 😂. I was down for a Sequoia, but had to back out of it ... It did not do it for me 😢.

Let's go Prado USA ! 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

I hope those are not the headlights they use in the final version. Maybe they will grow on me overtime, but they look awful right now. The GX has a much better headlamp design.
What we don't see in the side view is the front end. For the US market, it is supposed to be retro 40/70 series with round headlights.

The 1983 FJ40 had an MSRP of about $10,400.00. That would make it around $31,000.00 today.
They went up in price about 50% from 1980-83. My 78 had an MSRP under $7k. I was just using that price. But, good point. That was Carter era inflation so a few years off changes the calculation a lot. If it were $30k today - still would be considerably cheaper than any of the alternatives. Comparable to a base model Wrangler at $32k or a base model Bronco at $35k. It would be about 25% cheaper than 4Runner. An Fj60 would be the price of a current base 2wd 4Runner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom