2022 Tundra = US 300 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It seems like to me that would generate a lot of waste of parts and added costs to ship LHD and later convert to RHD. Also, I am not sure how you can ship a truck incomplete minus the dash and all related components to have RHD components added later if that was another option being considered.
This is how the US trucks that are sold over here are done, Ram and Chev at the same facility in Melbourne, approved by Ram/GM and the F-Trucks, GMCs etc are done by various independent importers, but they all start as LHD trucks. This probably makes them expensive, but for long-distance tow rigs that aren't a semi, they're fantastic and the market will obviously bear it. We have a GMC Sierra and an F250 tremor for tow rigs and they're brilliant at what they do, but they aren't built like a Cruiser. Ram on the other hand, had one and it was an absolute pile.

Came for the tech, stayed for the panoramic sunroof debate.
Wait till the 200 series folks show up to debate the best cell phone holder and placement, should subside after 5 or 6 pages!

Doug D is an actual idiot and even he agrees it feels like a refresh at best. They put 0 effort into this. Unlike the Tundra, which deserves the praise.

He literally says in the video that it doesn't get cold in the middle east so they don't need heat.
I mean how dumb, prejudice, brainwashed and uneducated do you have to be?
Thats extremely offensive either way out of the sheer stupidity of it, even if you're not from there like I am.

But even otherwise hes like a caricature of pointless consumer trends and the nonstop rambling style makes his videos unbearable to watch.

Most of his takes are garbage, even this one. Specially his review of the LX 570 from a year or two ago.
I dont blame him for a lot of those critiques though due to such an old product but talk about misunderstanding of the brand.

Here he is this time both wondering where all the dev money went in the 300, and then praising the TT v6 WHILE admitting the fans of the platform love the V8?
After the LX review where he calls it an abysmal dinosaur? What incredible automotive journalism...

I stopped watching Dough Demuro a long time ago unless he is reviewing a new vehicle that I haven't seen reviewed elsewhere.

He uses the word "quirky" too much too. All that being said, I don't consider him an "idiot" or worthy of name calling.

Doug D is an actual idiot and even he agrees it feels like a refresh at best. They put 0 effort into this. Unlike the Tundra, which deserves the praise.

Yea...Doug is weird. He's for sure on the spectrum.

However, Toyota DID put in quite the effort on the LC300. It was a purposeful, thought out decision to NOT make it 'all new' and flashy and fancy. That's what makes it so desirable. It's not competing with the giant Suburbans and new Wagoneer and Expeditions, that depreciate off the cliff. It's built to last. Just because it doesn't have the biggest screen or 18 way heated and cooled seats, doesn't mean it shouldn't get praise. Why does it all have to get fancier, more complicated, and less reliable to get accolades?

I'm pissed it has any screen or digital readouts at all. Its still to fancy for me. Give me a manual T case lever too. Why tack that 'radio' on the dash like that? Just give it an easily replaceable double din stereo, that can be changed, upgraded, and modified to the end users content. You want a backup cam? Then add it. Don't make me buy one.

Stick with what works.

(even so, you can get all the new tech and douchey gadgetry on the higher trim level LC300 and the new LX). So you point is moot.

Yea...Doug is weird. He's for sure on the spectrum.

However, Toyota DID put in quite the effort on the LC300. It was a purposeful, thought out decision to NOT make it 'all new' and flashy and fancy. That's what makes it so desirable. It's not competing with the giant Suburbans and new Wagoneer and Expeditions, that depreciate off the cliff. It's built to last. Just because it doesn't have the biggest screen or 18 way heated and cooled seats, doesn't mean it shouldn't get praise. Why does it all have to get fancier, more complicated, and less reliable to get accolades?

I'm pissed it has any screen or digital readouts at all. Its still to fancy for me. Give me a manual T case lever too. Why tack that 'radio' on the dash like that? Just give it an easily replaceable double din stereo, that can be changed, upgraded, and modified to the end users content. You want a backup cam? Then add it. Don't make me buy one.

Stick with what works.

(even so, you can get all the new tech and douchey gadgetry on the higher trim level LC300 and the new LX). So you point is moot.

I feel that. You and everyone here probably agree on that.
I dont feel the same way. But to kind of demonstrate that point, the sales in the US were abysmal and it was pulled.

The average consumer, which Doug usually does a good job of representing, doesn't think that way.
You also have to remember the entry point here isnt a 10 year old used price, its like $90-$100k.

I think its awesome you can buy a new 76 79? series in Australia. If i could buy a new 105 i would pay a ludicrous amount for it.
But that would be a purpose built use case, and if you look at all the trim packages and configs of the 300, you will see that thats its tailored to the opposite end of the spectrum. That goes against the design ethos you bring up, and i think there is truth in that, but its not exactly the case.

Its just low effort, i wouldnt fool myself into thinking that was intentional design direction. They can sell the 200 for another 10 years and they know that. Its purely to maximize the margins.

I stopped watching Dough Demuro a long time ago unless he is reviewing a new vehicle that I haven't seen reviewed elsewhere.

He uses the word "quirky" too much too. All that being said, I don't consider him an "idiot" or worthy of name calling.

I do.

As has pointed out by many here and on other forums, it didn't sell because Toyota didn't try. No trim levels (and reduced entry price point), no advertising, no salesmen/dealer training, no incentives, no emphasis on what made the vehicle special. No focus on heritage, reliability, ruggedness, or dependability, and stable value.

Just a bit of TRY and they would have sold double, easy. Morons buy Range Rovers and Land Rovers by the hundreds of thousands, even with their horrible reliability and depreciation record. Anything is possible with a bit of TRY.

Toyota can sell whatever, wherever.....but don't keep lying to us about the reason to pull the LC from the US market.

As has pointed out by many here and on other forums, it didn't sell because Toyota didn't try. No trim levels (and reduced entry price point), no advertising, no salesmen/dealer training, no incentives, no emphasis on what made the vehicle special. No focus on heritage, reliability, ruggedness, or dependability, and stable value.

Just a bit of TRY and they would have sold double, easy. Morons buy Range Rovers and Land Rovers by the hundreds of thousands, even with their horrible reliability and depreciation record. Anything is possible with a bit of TRY.

Toyota can sell whatever, wherever.....but don't keep lying to us about the reason to pull the LC from the US market.

Agree. And its unfortunate that is seems to be just positioned as an expensive appliance in the markets the 300 is still in.

You're absolutely right, for how special we here on MUD know it is (we all own them), its extremely undersold by the T brand.
Thats why i ripped apart the HE in my previous post. They couldn't have even been awake for that one.
Look at what the SUV and Truck market is doing, they are exploding and so is the Tundra to bring it back on topic.

I could probably do a 1 for 1 list of all the updates and improvements on Tundra vs 300 and it would be sad for LC lovers.

I think the point of the thread is correct, the Tundra got all of the love we wanted the 300 to get.

We can agree to disagree.

No problem brother. Same here.

Just know that when people talk about Texas like that, if i ever hear those sort of derogatory racist/xenophobic comments about it, i vehemently defend it every time.
Wether im in Europe, middle east or anywhere else.

It snows more where i was born in the middle east than anywhere in Texas will ever see.
Doug shows his extreme ignorance and i think its right to point out and we should take everything he says with a giant grain of salt when it comes to cars too.

That's the 70 series. Which of course the US never had. The wagons have always had more creature comfort inside.
This one is with the V8 diesel from the 200 series. You can spec it without the infotainment. Manual too.
They would probably soon release a 70 series with the new engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom