2022 Tundra = US 300 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Lots of interesting info here from the Tundra’s development team. Literally spent years in Japan working with Land Cruiser team. Frame looks very similar.

Shameless plug for the absolute best car review crew on YouTube as well. Check their channel out. No affiliation.

So except for the name and interior styling, the ‘22 Tundra is essentially a 300 series Landcruiser pickup truck. Or am I missing something?

So except for the name and interior styling, the ‘22 Tundra is essentially a 300 series Landcruiser pickup truck. Or am I missing something?
Made in America but that’s what I see too.

They are not the same. Comparing the Tundra to the 300 series is in vogue (clickbait) now, due to the US not getting it yet. Another lame YT vid. All the 'expo' crowd is doing the same.

They may share parts, but the Tundra is now a bloated overstyled full size truck that maxed out credit idiot Americans will buy.

112" wheelbase compared to 160"

They are not the same. Comparing the Tundra to the 300 series is in vogue (clickbait) now, due to the US not getting it yet. Another lame YT vid. All the 'expo' crowd is doing the same.

They may share parts, but the Tundra is now a bloated overstyled full size truck that maxed out credit idiot Americans will buy.

That is a little closed minded. You haven't even see either vehicle yet.

You just sound ignorant.

Comparing the 300 to the new Tundra (America's new Cruiser!) is the new clickbait thing to do. Many outlets have done it. Huge rage with the Expo crowd and fledgling blog sites.
It is bloated and overstyled and trying to hard (fitting with all things Toyota\Lexus these days). I have eyes.
The 300 is far more nimble, based on dimensions alone.

But yes, a boxed frame and coil springs makes them 'similar'

just my 0.02

Have you perused the 200 series section and see how many people buy their trucks cash? Plenty of people buy cars new in cash.

I like this thing. It isn’t a Land Cruiser, seems to me like it’s far from it but I like it. As a lazy, bloated, zero balance credit-card American serving his beloved country, I consider this truck the same way I consider mustache rides, “I want one”. 😍

Tundra (at least the pre-2022 Tundra) is a huge vehicle. While I never drove one, I did sit in one at the dealership- front seats and back seats - and it’s HUGE compared to my FJ60 land cruiser. I pictured driving it in all the places I take my 60 in Baja Mexico and I know for absolute certainty it won’t fit at many of my favorite places - Tight fit between boulders or slot canyon walls. So while I was in love with the idea of getting a bigger pickup (instead of another land cruiser) the Tundra was off my list because it’s just too freaking big.
So I had my sights set on a Tacoma instead. It ain’t no Landcruiser that’s for sure, but it’s a pickup and a Toyota.

I like this thing. It isn’t a Land Cruiser, seems to me like it’s far from it but I like it. As a lazy, bloated, zero balance credit-card American serving his beloved country, I consider this truck the same way I consider mustache rides, “I want one”. 😍

“We designed the Tundra for the North American market and North American driving conditions.” :lol:

Douche born every day and Toyota is more than happy to capitalize… take their money.

Toyota = Texas

Toyota = ‘Murica.

Tundra (at least the pre-2022 Tundra) is a huge vehicle. While I never drove one, I did sit in one at the dealership- front seats and back seats - and it’s HUGE compared to my FJ60 land cruiser. I pictured driving it in all the places I take my 60 in Baja Mexico and I know for absolute certainty it won’t fit at many of my favorite places - Tight fit between boulders or slot canyon walls. So while I was in love with the idea of getting a bigger pickup (instead of another land cruiser) the Tundra was off my list because it’s just too freaking big.
So I had my sights set on a Tacoma instead. It ain’t no Landcruiser that’s for sure, but it’s a pickup and a Toyota.
??? Neither would a 200 or 300 so what’s your point??? 60s are smaller and 30 years older.

History will regard the 2022 Tundra as a place holder for an EV. Composed of Recycled engineering geared to meet the company’s fleet MPG mandates. The top engineers at Toyota are not working on the Tundra project, they are working on EV projects.

Is it going to be like Chrysler’s land yachts of the late 70’s where the market stepped over and moved on, or the ‘58–‘60 Lincoln continental, the red headed step child in an otherwise distinguished line ?

??? Neither would a 200 or 300 so what’s your point??? 60s are smaller and 30 years older.

I never had major issues with the 200s size but it isn't small by any means.
An access cab or crew cab 3rd gen Tundra would be awful outside of desert trails, in my opinion.
The single cab, regular bed, 2nd gen Tundra I owned was stretching it. But that was a great rig.

History will regard the 2022 Tundra as a place holder for an EV. Composed of Recycled engineering geared to meet the company’s fleet MPG mandates. The top engineers at Toyota are not working on the Tundra project, they are working on EV projects.

Is it going to be like Chrysler’s land yachts of the late 70’s where the market stepped over and moved on, or the ‘58–‘60 Lincoln continental, the red headed step child in an otherwise distinguished line ?
LOL

Recycled engineering to meet MPG mandates? Come on...

Toyota has vehicle refresh schedules that vary in length, and in this case had been put off for a bit longer than we all wanted. Toyota uses global platforms to "recycle" R&D achievements and lower vehicle cost while maintaining quality. They "recycled" the V6 from the LS500 because it performs very well, and since its already been in market hopefully concern out there about "not buying the first model year" of a brand new product due to quality issues.

The frame on tundra is identical to the LC300 aside from the center section of the 300 series (to account for wheel base), which is a whole new frame design and manufacturing process that currently no other automaker in the world does. Increasing stiffness by 20% while also reducing weight by 10% compared to the previous frame.

All the "recycling" that has occurred to build this truck, has pretty much come from LC and LS, the rest has been created specifically for this truck. Toyota has been very clear on their stance for electrification rather than throwing all the eggs in the EV basket where it doesn't make sense (like a tow truck).

I would also guess that the top engineers are working on battery technology since Toyota has committed to spending crazy amounts of money to develop that tech, I hope you understand that batteries are used in hybrids as well as Ev. Literally the same batteries except larger. So Increased battery capacity, benefits both kinds of vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom