2016 LX 570 Outer Tire Wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, my wife drives a 2016 570 with the 21 inch tires. It seems the front tires, on the very outside edge of the tire, get chewed up within30k miles, the remainder of the front tires are easily at 50%. Every year I have the Lexus dealer put the vehicle on the alignment machine to check alignment and it’s always good, tire pressure is also stable.

Has anyone seen this before? Or if anyone has knowledge on how I may need to have someone adjust caliber or caster to combat this please chime in.

These tires are 450 a piece and I’d rather not replace 2 every 24 months just because a very small portion of the tire is worn out.

Thanks in advance.

She must like to drive hard :) . Me too.

Couple things you can do
1. Make sure check air pressure periodically to keep it at spec
2. Depending on the alignment, you can dial in a bit more camber to help the sidewall from rolling over. Also a hint less toe-in.

If you have your alignment printout, feel free to post.

I'm with @TeCKis300, a bit of negative camber would probably help. Fronts will wear more evenly, but still at a higher rate than the rears, so regular rotations is a must or you'll still be chewing through front tires quickly. If your wife is a speed demon, raising the front PSI a bit could help too.

Last edited:
In my experience the LX wears tires faster due to lowering at highway speeds

Not sure I agree. The suspension geometry is such that it adds caster and camber which helps tires for stability and cornering.

Can’t comment on the alignment, but I have an 2016 and had the 21s on the car when I bought it. The first thing I did is remove them for 20” wheels from an older LX.

It sounds like you’re using the OEM Dunlop tires. In my short experience while I had the 21s on my car, those tires are poor quality and themselves could be the issue. They’re really soft V-rated tires with a treadwear rating of 360…Lexus made a really dumb decision with the 21s and sporty tires for a 7300lb truck. I would say if you’re dead set on keeping the OEM wheels, replace the tires with something more suited to an LX like Michelin Defender LTX M/Ss. They have a treadwear rating of 720 and are H-rated…they also come with a 70k mile warranty.

Worth noting that any decent tire you find in a 21” size is going to be very expensive. If you’re planning to keep the car a long time and want to minimize your running costs, you can find a set of LC/LX/Tundra takeoffs in 18” or 20” sizes, and you’ll have a lot more options for decent tires at about half the price of a 21” tire.

Last edited:
My wife has been driving for 30 years and this is the first car that this has been an issue, so I think I can safely remove her driving as a variable. I rotate the tires annually, and check the pressures every couple months. I am definitely going to Michelin’s next month as I am now thinking it’s the tire more than anything else at this point. I don’t mind spending the money for good tires, just not every 18-24 months on the front. Thanks everyone and I’ll let everyone know how the Michelin’s hold up. Thanks!

Last edited:
^ "rotate tires annually"
How many miles between rotations? A good rule of thumb for trucks of this nature (heavy, body on frame) is rotating tires every 5000 mi. Tires wear more evenly and reduces propensity to cup.

Also, what is the typical driving? Around town/city or more urban/highway driving? City driving, particularly sharper turns (parking lots, driveways, etc) scrub the outside treadblocks more than urban/highway driving.

Also consider or investigate tire pressure. Lower air pressure coupled with urban driving really put a lot of stress on the outside tread blocks.

I have the same problem with my dunlops. Mostly on the passenger side outer. I found my alignment was not optimal. The outside look stressed by heat a bit. But many OEM tires are not durable and therefore the edges wear down.

I had a GX that had duellers that look like that also, got Michelin ltx not a thing on the outside blocks, I was lazy didn’t rotate for 25k miles. They held up to the weight.

The dunlops are not directional so you could take the tires off and remount it so the wear is on the inner of the rim. But they make the Michelin in the 21” size.

36 psi for pressure. I have feeling just changing to the Michelin’s will at least give me 50% more tread life just looking at the specs. The last time I purchased tires though I’m pretty sure Michelin didn’t have 21s for this truck. I always buy Michelin’s so I’m so happy I can now go down that path.

There was a sticker on the window that says the tires may last 20k or less.

I am waiting for the defender 2 to get manufactured in the 21” size. But currently you can put in 275/50r21 there are different choices. Defender 1 is one of them.

The other route is to get 18” or 17” wheels. There are relatively low number of wheel choices for this truck in the stock offset range,

just for reference, i try to keep around 39 PSI in my geolander HT 20" tires. It is a trick as the outside air temp has a HUGE impact on the PSI reading!

but even on a very cold day, i will not go below 35 psi as a start point

I have bfg’s on my 2015 and I’ll tell you I’ve been super impressed with the even wear. I do rotate them every 5k miles.

It sounds like tire choice is a huge part of this ordeal followed by tire rotation. Those Dunlop’s, which was really on my only choice for a long time just suck. 360 treadlife….. Looking forward in getting back to the Michelin life With 720 TL. I’ve never been disappointed in a Michelin product. Thanks again everyone for their input.

There was a sticker on the window that says the tires may last 20k or less.

I am waiting for the defender 2 to get manufactured in the 21” size. But currently you can put in 275/50r21 there are different choices. Defender 1 is one of them.

The other route is to get 18” or 17” wheels. There are relatively low number of wheel choices for this truck in the stock offset range,
Ok, so now I have to decide to replace all 4 or just the 2 that are worn. The back 2 Dunlop’s we’re just replaced a year or so ago and have plenty of tread left. I’d rather not replace 2 good tires if not needed. Is there any reason that I may not know about of why I would need to replace all 4 with the same manufacturer of tire. I would have 2 Michelin’s and 2 Dunlop’s on the vehicle. More than likely I would replace the other 2 Dunlop’s summer of 2025.

Yeah, difference in traction could create some pretty scary oversteer or understeer (depending on which axle the inferior tires are installed at) in snow or wet. Should be fine for dry roads. This falls into the category of things that I would not do now that I'm a real adult with an adult income :eek: Did it plenty as a youngster and adapted driving style for the imbalance front to rear.

I would replace the set of 4 and sell the 2 good dunlops on craigslist or facebook for $200, or whatever you can get for them. Or consider replacing your spare with one of them, depending on the age of your spare. If it's original 2016, it's due for a replacement anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom