Builds 2010 76 series wagon: The story so far (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boozewz

SILVER Star
Threads
Some members have been pm'ing me for info about mods on my 76 series wagon, and upon looking through some of my older threads I realised that all of my post containing some of the mods done are scattered around. Here's an attempt to keep it all under one thread, with lots of pictures.

Hint: you may have seen some of these pics posted before, so just trying to keep a timeline of the mods in the correct order.

Picked up the wagon on Dec 2010 from the local Toyota dealer. Its got the new GRJ 4.0L V6 motor and a H150F gearbox. The build date on the wagon is 10/2010. My first move was to fit a set of 255/85/16 BFG KM2 on the factory splits. While I loved the look, and the handling around town, it simply didn’t cut it on the dunes with its narrow footprint. Also driving on the highway at speeds of 120km/h can be a little nervy. So these didn’t last very long, and were replaced.

IMG01281-20110410-1818.jpg

If I lived in a country with lots of green laning, or mud tracks, or old fire logging roads then I’d take the 255’s in a heartbeat. Awesome nimbleness around town, and great feel off the beaten path. Alas, the dunes is where most of our wheeling is. (The 255’s were later put on my 1982 Troopy).

Next step was getting a hold of 16” factory alloys, and I ordered a set of 285/75/16 BFG AT’s. While those were on a ship coming from the US, I picked up on the (very) cheap some crappy Chinese tires locally. These turned out to be a disaster. Enough vibration on the highway to knock off my sunglasses.

With that, I sourced a set of EFS 4” front coils, along with EFS Racing Shocks. For the rear springs, we picked up a couple from an older model and had a suspension shop hammer them into equivalent of a 4” lift. Primitive I know, and not something you’d do to a new rig. But hey, I was learning.

Also, in order to address the wider front track (10cm difference), I had 5cm spacers machined locally and installed on the rear.

3-1.jpg

Last edited:
I eventually ordered an ARB front bull bar, a pair of 240 HID Lightforce spot lights, and a Warn XD9000 winch.

Here the wagon sits a touch higher than my cousins FJcruiser with a 6" Fabtech lift on 35" tires.

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

A couple of wheeling trips later and I realized the 4” lift was way too high, and the wagon felt tippy at highway speeds. I didn’t have any confidence in changing lanes at speed. It didn’t help that the EFS front coils and the shocks were super hard.

I picked up a 2” OME lift kit, without the shocks as I already had the EFS shocks

201101064.jpg

Next up was installing some locally made canvas seat covers. These turned out fantastic. Very durable, and with the amount of sand we get in the wagon during trips, they’re ubber easy to remove, throw in the wash, and reinstall.

201101061.jpg

201101062.jpg

201101063.jpg

Went down to Ikea and picked up a couple of door mats. I cut out a template of the factory OEM carpet and then cut down the mats to fit. They’re perfect for holding down the sand.

ikeafloormatsthankssaf.jpg

After that, we needed to take care of the fire extinguisher, which was placed by the door. I didn’t want it under the seat as that’s where the tow strap is kept for quick easy access.

IMG01089-20110209-1234-1.jpg

By this point I had also brought in a 180L Long Ranger fuel tank, which replaced the useless factory 90L tank. (The new 2013 models will supposedly come with 130L tanks as standard).

Took the wagon out wheeling several times, with one day being particularly memorable when on a rare occasion for us desert dwellers it had rained, poured actually. Made for a great afternoon out with the lads.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:
We then had a storage platform, along with one drawer made, and a drop down table drilled into the rear barn door.

IMG01021-20110120-1429-1.jpg

IMG01025-20110120-1444.jpg

IMG01023-20110120-1430.jpg

IMG01072-20110204-1304.jpg

IMG01086-20110209-1231.jpg

IMG01077-20110204-1307.jpg

At last the 285/75/16 BFG AT’s arrived off the boat. I had also ordered a set of 16X8 ROH steelies from Down Under, along with my bro who at the same time was modding his 79 pickup.

Slapped on the new rubber, and off we were to test them. That year we’d had another douse of rain (climate change at its best), so we were off to the desert again straight after work.

29.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

The factory 70 series headlight bulbs are shockingly dim, which made driving at night in poorly lit areas challenging to say the least. While I love the 70 series and its bare bones make up, this should have been addressed coming out of the factory, especially for a 21st century model car. So out went those, and incoming were a set of LED headlight bulbs sourced locally. What a difference these made.

28.jpg

Awesome truck and good story; thanks! One of your pictures is my new desktop background.

It is strange to see water in the desert like that! I don't think I've ever seen pictures with water between dunes!

Now we’re into 2012, and a set of factory OEM fenders were installed to complete the look. Had them painted black.

30.jpg

Then on a trip down some washboard tracks I hit a large bump, and the bottom of the storage drawer exploded, and all the contents came out. Turns out it was never built sturdy enough. Threw all the contents into a plastic container box for now, and tied it down with bungee cords. My latest goody, and probably my favorite is the ARB fridge. Here its packed and ready for a nice large family style trip we did earlier this year.

f1493567.jpg

The charge socket was routed through the frame and placed just behind the left rear door on the panel. Its wired up directly to the battery, which has been upgraded to an Optima Yellow Top battery.

35.jpg

A few snaps from the big bbq we did back in January this year

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Lately I had front and rear ARB lockers installed. Below is the location for the switches, which allow for easier access near the gear shift lever.

36.jpg

The new CKMTA12 compressor mounting location.

37.jpg

A trip we took out to Mastoorah, 160km north of Jeddah.

IMG_0473.jpg

And another trip to Wadi Rabigh, near a newly built dam. Lots of water and mud here.

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Very Nice....70 series wagon... I wish we had access to those in the USA. The color is just right too :)

Awesome truck and good story; thanks! One of your pictures is my new desktop background.

It is strange to see water in the desert like that! I don't think I've ever seen pictures with water between dunes!

Very Nice....70 series wagon... I wish we had access to those in the USA. The color is just right too :)

Thanks fellas.....a few more posts coming up shall bring us to up to date!

For the benefit of the U.S. Cruiserheads who only dream of a 76 Series, can you at least pretend that you don't enjoy driving that thing? :D

Last edited:
Post up some better pictures of the engine....did you say it was a V-6? I would like to see drive belt area and the sides as well. Is there only one gas engine selection for that vehicle? I assume so..

Very cool vehicle. Been wanting to make a fold down table on my rear door like yours.
What materials did you use? Is it metal or plywood?

For the benefit of the U.S. Cruiserheads who only dream of a 76 Series, can you at least pretend that you don't enjoy driving that thing? :D

I absolutely LOVE driving it:p All kidding aside, it is a very rugged vehicle, with minimal creature comforts and can be extremely harsh to drive around if your road network/infrastructure is poor. Its not my daily driver, so I can say the enjoyment is there. Having said that, my buddy has the same truck and DD'd it for the last 2 years, and he's pretty much sick of it. He reckons he'll need back surgery or a hip replacement before he turns 40.

Nice 76!
Good to see wagons here and there!

Thanks! We've got lots of 60 series cruisers here, so we fit right in with the "wagons"...I know some people are not a fan of the wider front clip on the 2007+ models, but to me, since I also have a soft spot for 60 series cruisers, it brings the 70 series closer to its roots.

That's a gem of a Cruiser mate.

I think the stock rims looked better though...

I agree re the stock rims. Practicallity wins in the end. However, all is not lost, as those 255's are sitting on factory splits on my '82 Troopy.:)

Post up some better pictures of the engine....did you say it was a V-6? I would like to see drive belt area and the sides as well. Is there only one gas engine selection for that vehicle? I assume so..

Will do as soon as I get home...Ya there's only one petrol option, the GRJ V6, similar to the FJCruiser, Prado, and I believe some basic GX 200 series'.

Nice LC Boozewz, Beautiful setup,it cool to but it in one thread.am in process of doing my drop down table drilled into the rear door, After seeing yours, am thinking to make some changes, did buy it? or you did it locally? as i promise you my Rear Bum not yet finished, at the let stage now.I will post the Pic's as soon as it is Finished.
Hope to see sometimes this year when am visiting KSA.

Good Luck

Great work, I got my Hi Lift Jack on bumper from your pics as inspiration. I am planning to install ARB Air Compressor and Deflator.

Looks great! You guys have some crazy places to off road there. The sand looks fun but I bet it can be a pain if you get stuck!

-Daniel

I absolutely LOVE driving it All kidding aside, it is a very rugged vehicle, with minimal creature comforts and can be extremely harsh to drive around if your road network/infrastructure is poor. Its not my daily driver, so I can say the enjoyment is there. Having said that, my buddy has the same truck and DD'd it for the last 2 years, and he's pretty much sick of it. He reckons he'll need back surgery or a hip replacement before he turns 40.

" It is a very rugged vehicle, with minimal creature comforts and can be extremely harsh to drive around if your road network / infrastructure is poor. "
..... That makes me feel a little bit better......:D
Fortunately my HJ75 is loaded with creature comforts and rides like a dream. :)

Great build, great photos, and thanks for the PM tips as i work on sourcing then building mine! I hope to join you on the trail soon!

For sure...Cant wait to see what you end up getting. When do you think you'll arrive in KSA?

Very cool vehicle. Been wanting to make a fold down table on my rear door like yours.
What materials did you use? Is it metal or plywood?

Plywood, with a rubber mat glued to the shelve.

Nice LC Boozewz, Beautiful setup,it cool to but it in one thread.am in process of doing my drop down table drilled into the rear door, After seeing yours, am thinking to make some changes, did buy it? or you did it locally? as i promise you my Rear Bum not yet finished, at the let stage now.I will post the Pic's as soon as it is Finished.
Hope to see sometimes this year when am visiting KSA.

Good Luck

I had it made locally. Any decent carpenter should be able to do it, and perhaps you could if you have a bit of patience and are willing to make a few mistakes along the way.

Looking forward to pics of your bumper build, Talal. Thanks

Great work, I got my Hi Lift Jack on bumper from your pics as inspiration. I am planning to install ARB Air Compressor and Deflator.

Your 79 has turned out like a beauty. Keep it up. :clap:

Looks great! You guys have some crazy places to off road there. The sand looks fun but I bet it can be a pain if you get stuck!

-Daniel

Not too bad actually cause we always go with a group. Usually all it takes is a small tug with a tow strap and your out. Even if you go alone, which I dont advise it, most of us either have sand ladders or inflatable air jacks. Both are very effective extracting tools.

I absolutely LOVE driving it All kidding aside, it is a very rugged vehicle, with minimal creature comforts and can be extremely harsh to drive around if your road network/infrastructure is poor. Its not my daily driver, so I can say the enjoyment is there. Having said that, my buddy has the same truck and DD'd it for the last 2 years, and he's pretty much sick of it. He reckons he'll need back surgery or a hip replacement before he turns 40.

" It is a very rugged vehicle, with minimal creature comforts and can be extremely harsh to drive around if your road network / infrastructure is poor. "
..... That makes me feel a little bit better......:D
Fortunately my HJ75 is loaded with creature comforts and rides like a dream. :)

Your road quality surely does help though! Ours have potholes, bumps, dips, and cracks every few meters. I think nothing would be comfortable here except perhaps a hovercraft:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom