Events/Trails 200's in Breckenridge - Summer 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't wait to see all the 200s rolling around Breckenridge.

Also, I have a PSA for the group -- given our size, this event would be a perfect excuse to get your HAM license.

Having reliable, high-quality trail communications makes the trip more enjoyable for everyone. Spotting, arranging photo stops, restroom breaks, simply checking in on "why are we all stopped," and letting the group know if you're running behind will improve the experience. Above all else, it's a safety thing. Ham gets you more range and higher quality transmissions, which can be important in many situations when traveling off-road.

You can get a pretty decent (ex. Baofeng UV-5R, 5W) handheld 2m radio for $30 or a great handheld (ex. Yaesu FT-60, 5W) starting around $175. A full-on mobile transceiver setup (ex. Yaesu FT-8800, 50W) will set you back $500+ but you'll get what you pay for.

Find a place to take the test: Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area
Practice the exam: Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ.COM
Buy a radio: Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

At the end of the day, CB will do the job time but I assure you that you'll enjoy the quality and flexibility of amateur radio for trips like this.
Great summary. - "KG5 ODP clear"

Also, I have a PSA for the group -- given our size, this event would be a perfect excuse to get your HAM license.

Having reliable, high-quality trail communications makes the trip more enjoyable for everyone. Spotting, arranging photo stops, restroom breaks, simply checking in on "why are we all stopped," and letting the group know if you're running behind will improve the experience. Above all else, it's a safety thing. Ham gets you more range and higher quality transmissions, which can be important in many situations when traveling off-road.

You can get a pretty decent (ex. Baofeng UV-5R, 5W) handheld 2m radio for $30 or a great handheld (ex. Yaesu FT-60, 5W) starting around $175. A full-on mobile transceiver setup (ex. Yaesu FT-8800, 50W) will set you back $500+ but you'll get what you pay for.

Buy a radio: Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

At the end of the day, CB will do the job time but I assure you that you'll enjoy the quality and flexibility of amateur radio for trips like this.

What, my 1980's vintage Radio Shack CB won't do? :grinpimp:

I agree with this 100%.

However, from many years of wheeling experience, I also know it simply won't happen. Out of 30 trucks, maybe 5 will have HAM. Maybe 8 will have CB.

So I propose something different this time around, in an effort to ensure everyone has communication on/in their rig.

I'm considering purchasing enough 2 way radios to cover the group. We can have a sign out sheet and everyone can also get a master list of who's who (mud call sign and real names.) The range wont be as good but it should be more than enough for what we are doing.

Plus, 2-way radios work when you're on foot away from your truck.

I will be researching the best route/brand to go through for a bulk purchase.

Is the practice exam the same as the actual exam?

Is the practice exam the same as the actual exam?

There's a fixed question pool that the exam pulls from. I think there's a selection of 30 questions or so on the actual exam. There are no questions on the exam that are not available to study from in advance.

Question Pools

To prepare, I downloaded a couple test prep apps on my iPhone and ran through questions and example tests until I wasn't missing any questions. I prepared for probably a total of 4-5 hours spread over a few weeks.

There's a fixed question pool that the exam pulls from. I think there's a selection of 30 questions or so on the actual exam. There are no questions on the exam that are not available to study from in advance.

Question Pools

To prepare, I downloaded a couple test prep apps on my iPhone and ran through questions and example tests until I wasn't missing any questions. I prepared for probably a total of 4-5 hours spread over a few weeks.

Perfect! Thanks!

Just installed this practice app on my phone for anyone else with an Android.
Ham Test Prep - Android Apps on Google Play

I'm considering purchasing enough 2 way radios to cover the group. We can have a sign out sheet and everyone can also get a master list of who's who (mud call sign and real names.) The range wont be as good but it should be more than enough for what we are doing.

That's a good idea... will help a lot.

Still, it'd be great if there are a few trucks per group with ham. That would at least provide some opportunity for communicating across groups if needed. I see 4-5 people from the confirmed list who I'm pretty sure have ham... maybe more. Seems like we'll be in good shape between that and the 2-way radios.

I bought the BaoFeng BF-F8HP 2 pack on Amazon for like $90. They are handheld but I have one mounted in the Cruiser with an external antenna and 12v supply.

These are 8 watts and dual band. It's like the difference between 4KUHD TV and the portable black and white TVs of the 80s. Easy install as I just zipped tied the hand held to the E Brake lever and use the add on Mic.

I bought the BaoFeng BF-F8HP 2 pack on Amazon for like $90. They are handheld but I have one mounted in the Cruiser with an external antenna and 12v supply.

These are 8 watts and dual band. It's like the difference between 4KUHD TV and the portable black and white TVs of the 80s. Easy install as I just zipped tied the hand held to the E Brake lever and use the add on Mic.

Sorry to get on a mini-hijack here but what kind of range are you getting? I know nearly nothing about HAM.

Sorry to get on a mini-hijack here but what kind of range are you getting? I know nearly nothing about HAM.
It depends. With right radio, weather and antenna across the globe. Hitting towers. We would be simplex- radio to radio- and would be miles but depends on terrain, etc. Really just google it. Don't believe the 5-12 mile range quotes on common two ways.

I have a couple of typical walkies like the Motorola units if that's what @Willy beamin means. Good idea.

Might be nice for the lead and caboose trucks in each group to have HAM since the line can get pretty strung out.

I agree with this 100%.

However, from many years of wheeling experience, I also know it simply won't happen. Out of 30 trucks, maybe 5 will have HAM. Maybe 8 will have CB.

So I propose something different this time around, in an effort to ensure everyone has communication on/in their rig.

I will be researching the best route/brand to go through for a bulk purchase.

That's exactly what I do when I take friends wheeling. I usually have a couple extra radios and I just hand them out to friends (none of which have HAM or CB nor do they have a desire to) at the beginning of the trip and collect them at the end. I *usually* get them all back too :D

That's exactly what I do when I take friends wheeling. I usually have a couple extra radios and I just hand them out to friends (none of which have HAM or CB nor do they have a desire to) at the beginning of the trip and collect them at the end. I *usually* get them all back too :D

That's why I ended up doing this on the passenger seat back. ;) Never know what type will come in handy...or you may need to relay stuff to multiple types.

IMG_0826.JPG

I agree with this 100%.

will be researching the best route/brand to go through for a bulk purchase.

@Canyonero, it would definitely be cool if we could all hear each other when needed, and you're right that we're never all gonna be on the same equipment without a move like that.

If they were the typical Motorola type--or least units that are on those channels, I'd wager a lot of people could bring the purchase number down. Maybe a quick survey could see what people have & how many are needed?

Last edited:
Hey all sorry for the delayed posts. I've updated post #1 with confirmed and maybe. Please take a look and let me know if anything changes. I do have some more announcements coming soon!

Shaping up to be a great group and lots of good things happening this year!

Events announced so far this year:
@sleeoffroad shop visit and meet n greet
ARB attending (more info to come)
Sponsored dinners
Group trail runs

Lodging:
Recommend staying in Breck or Frisco if you are doing hotel/rental. Search campsites around these 2 towns for reference.
We will be there +3 and 2 Boston Ts

Hotel is booked....I hope I picked a good one. Pine ridge condos. Any input is appreciated.

I've toyed with this idea for years. Maybe now is the time.

Oh, and I have a pair of the Motorolas. So I'm set for when we use those bands/stations.

Gonna be quite a sight to behold...

With 31 confirmed?

That's THIS:

........... :steer:
:steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer:

Which one are you? o_O

...and possibly another:

New US record for 200's?
Almost surely. Pretty fun stuff! :hillbilly:

Last edited:
31-200s close to 2.5 million dollar not including upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom