2004 GX470 266k miles build or no? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhat new to the forum I have a 2004 GX 470 with about 266k miles do you guys think its still worth lifting, building some bumpers, getting a rooftop tent Etc. or should i just plan on retiring it and building something else. The thing runs flawlessly absolutely nothing wrong with it at all front shocks are worn rear shocks and height control sensors need to be replaced. So im gonna either just replaced stock or put a lift on it and start building it. Can always buy another motor to drop in the future when it takes a s*** right?

Thought?

Go for it.

The cost of building something else means you have to buy something else and pay for the build goodies. Since you seem to like your GX, save some money by keeping it and just pay for the build goodies.

What's the maintenance on your 266K mile GX470? You've changed all the fluids including transmission fluid regularly? Timing belt, water pump, radiator, and hoses have been changed?

I've only heard that these engines can last over 500K miles, but not sure how common this is. I don't know what it takes to get one to last 500K miles.

If it's running flawlessly with 266K and you have done good maintenance all of its life, then I say build it and offroad it like you stole it.

Thanks for the input guys I got the GX at 190k not sure of the maintenance before i got it but i'm sure it was done when it needed to be i got it from my aunt and she is a car enthusiast...Shes a stunt driver for the studios but since i have had it I've done all maintenance regularly. So i guess i will be order some fun stuff for it today :) Now next question what is a good lift to go with wont be doing much rock crawling or anything but i do go to the desert often and love hitting the trails and doing some hill climbs. The lift kits are pretty expensive is there an alternative parts from this or that i could use to achieve a lift? Is it better to replace the bags on it as well with the conversion kit or is there a good setup to with the bags also the ride is just so damn comfy.

It sounds like your aunt probably maintained it well.

If you haven’t done a drain and fill on the transmission fluid, then you should consider doing it. It’s not a maintenance item because it’s supposed to be a sealed system with lifetime fluid, but even toyota dealers recommend changing it. I changed mine recently at around 130k for first time.

Here’s my recommendation if you want to lift on a not super expensive path:

1. Get coilovers for the front and lift front like 2.5”. I have Bilstein 6112s but there are a lot of options in varying prices.
2. Do the air bag trick on rear using a spacer to lift rear to level with front lift. Delay rear conversion to springs when you are ready or when bags fail.
3. Get skinny tall tires like 255/75/17 tires on your stock oem rims including spare. These are like 32”x10” tires, so you have to like the skinny tire concept. Stock tires are about 30.6” tall by 10.4” wide, so you are getting close to 1.5” taller tires depending on brand of tire.
4. Remove the running boards to give you more clearance if you need it when off-roading. install rock sliders when you are ready to protect the rocker panels. For me, this is needed because I always get in over my head when off-roading and invariably I can damage running boards and/or rocker panels. So, sliders are my must armor.

That’s what I would do to start on the cheap. It’s a less costly path to be more capable and look cool.

Read this Post your high-mileage 100-series!!! to get an idea of the engine longevity. I would say so long as you know the engine and trans are good, build it. Remember to do the heater hose T's.

There's multiple 100 series with the 2uz-fe with over 400k miles on them that people are buying and building up. I wouldn't hesitate to build yours with 266k...just breaking it in

There's multiple 100 series with the 2uz-fe with over 400k miles on them that people are buying and building up. I wouldn't hesitate to build yours with 266k...just breaking it in

I'm liking this thread. I bought a 2005 GX with 165K and have built it up (see my signature for details). My wife gave me a hard time about putting so much money into a car with that kind of mileage. It seems a GX with 165K is still a youngster.

I'm liking this thread. I bought a 2005 GX with 165K and have built it up (see my signature for details). My wife gave me a hard time about putting so much money into a car with that kind of mileage. It seems a GX with 165K is still a youngster.
My wife's LX470 just rolled 289k miles this past weekend on a camping trip to Arkansas. AHC still works and rides great...

Transmission has been serviced in the last 20k miles so its good for a bit. My rear will sometimes not want to inflate the bags i'm pretty sure its those sensors back their. Its been good for a while now its just raised all the way... kinda looks like the hotrod stance. Ill post some pics of it soon don't know how to though. I'm gonna order some parts for it today and get this build underway once i sell my 1995 Range Rover Classic ill have some money to really drop on the Lexus. I work at a steel shop also so i'm gonna fab up front and rear bumpers and sliders also Im like you Homer i get in over my head sometimes also Haha. I might go get a magnaflow slapped on today and resonator delete and just straight pipe it should sound pretty good

U lucky dog...you gonna custom build your bumpers and sliders. That’s awesome.

Sweet thread on the 100-Series with the same engine as the GX470. It’s nice these things can last that long.

Sounds like your airbags are ready to be converted to springs/shocks. Keep us posted on what you go with.

Yeah i'm hoping ill get started on them sometime next week just have to pay for some 3/16 sheet make some CAD programs and plasma gut the pieces out. Ill post some pics up of the process. Got the stock muffler chopped off yesterday and put a flowmaster knockoff on it sounds awesome nice growl when going down the freeway. Getting some 255 75 17 BF Goodrich mud terrains put on it today, still trying to figure out my route for lift kit and what im gonna do. Trying to get it ready for a cal city trip thanksgiving weekend was gonna take my range rover but its old and tired makes too much noise

Transmission has been serviced in the last 20k miles so its good for a bit. My rear will sometimes not want to inflate the bags i'm pretty sure its those sensors back their. Its been good for a while now its just raised all the way...

Hey socal470, I have a pair of rear airbags if you want them. I took it off my Gx a couple of months ago. 130k miles on them but they worked great before.

My bags are still good i think the sensors where just messing with me or something. I would come out in the morning and it would sit like a low rider in the back and feel like one also. My the time i would get to work i had a stomach ache. Sometimes it would level out when i started it up other times it wouldn't when it wouldn't i couldn't raise or lower the back. So i'm assuming that it was the height control sensors in the rear? Everything seems to be working fine now but i didn't do anything to fix it

I don't know if the rear height sensors are in the main airbag component or not. But I saw that you said you were gonna buy parts so I thought I would offer you my parts for free. Also, if you need other parts relating to stock suspension I have them too. I don't plan on putting it back to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom