craigslist 2000 1HD-FT Troopy w/ alu-cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
white
Outside Link
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2000-toyota-land-cruiser/7309509235.html
1618878278904.png

Hope they get their price.

Guess the 25 year rule doesn't apply.

seems that part of the story on the vehicle is left off the ad. certainly well appointed, and has the 2nd row forward facing seats !

Hope they get their price.

Guess the 25 year rule doesn't apply.

I hope they get $89k too.
If this is any indication I could sell mine when it's done and buy a small island in the Caribbean. 😄 Not that I would sell.

That said, it's definitely a fairly nice rig. Potential buyers do their importing homework.

So very curious how this has US plates 🧐
The ad references a previous owner in Utah. I spoke with the guy that had it and as I recall this is the story. It was driven into the country from the south. Then taken to a NE state, maybe Maine or NH. Apparently one of those states titled and from there it was plated in UT. That's the best I can remember from it. It was for sale when I spoke with him...seems like the price was ~25-30. It was just too spooky for me.

Potential buyers do their importing homework.

See here:

Particularly posts #10, #14, and #15.

Step one: register it in your name in the Central or South American country where you buy it.

Step two: drive it to the USA, and tell the border authorities that you're just visiting (make no mention of permanently importing the car to the USA or of selling it while you're here).

Step three: "change your mind" about Step two, and find a State with nice lax vehicle registration laws (Florida seems popular, but there are others). Convince the local authorities there to give you plates and title. Not hard to do.

Step four: sell the now titled in the USA truck to someone else, preferably in another state. Because the truck is already titled in the USA, transfer of title becomes easier than if the vehicle were still on foreign title/plates.

That's the most likely explanation for how this truck has US plates.

Is it legal? Nope. Step three (likely) and four (certainly) are violations of Federal Law. The vehicle is subject to seizure by Federal authorities. Details in the "importing info" thread linked above.

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm a killjoy or something, count me among those who'd be absolutely thrilled to learn that I'm wrong and that there's a legal way to have trucks like this in the USA. I'm all ears if someone knows how.

This thing has been floating around for a few years now. It originally came from Costa Rica and was driven here by the previous owner and registered in Texas if I remember correctly. It was then listed on some of the less reputable used auto sites before it was presumably bought by this guy. As others in this thread have pointed out, definitely not legal. I'd take my 90G's and buy some Doge Coin instead.

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard of the Feds actually confiscating an imported truck because it was less than 25 years old? I remember them doing that with some Nissan R-34 Skylines back in the day. But as a practical matter, how are they monitoring this? And what do they do if they get wind of it?

Lots of rumors and mumblings but aside from the Defender and GT-R saga, it doesn't seem too common.
That said, it's definitely still illegal. The buyer will probably be fine, but maybe not.
The question is; is someone willing to gamble $90K for the next four years until it is legal?

Yes, the Feds have actually confiscated and destroyed illegally imported vehicles. Is it common? No, but mostly because, statistically speaking, there are very few such cars around. Are "they" monitoring illegally imported vehicles? Not likely. By definition, smuggling goods into the US means getting them in without the Federal government knowing about it. What they do if they get wind of it is entirely up to them. The law is on their side, the only question is whether it's worth their time to pursue the matter.

The usual scenario for the Feds taking action is that an importer is knowingly operating illegally, intentionally smuggling cars past US Customs, and lying to his clients when he sells the cars. The higher the sales volume, and the more brazen the lawlessness, the more likely they are to go after him (and his buyers). Another scenario a lot of people don't consider is if the illegal vehicle is involved in an accident with injuries. This can lead down a rabbit hole with insurance and possibly law enforcement. Makes me shudder to think of it.

Technically, any imported vehicle that hasn't been cleared through US Customs is subject to seizure by the US Government. It's not enough that it simply turn (or be) 25. So if, for example, someone brings in a model year 2000 car illegally, it doesn't automatically become legal in 2025. It would need to be cleared through Customs in 2025 to be here legally.

@TonyP nailed it: you gotta ask yourself, "is it worth the risk?" Some guys might think that it's worth it to put $90k on the line considering the small risk of getting caught and losing it. Other guys might think $90K is too much to risk even if the chances of losing it are small. Risk tolerance is a very individual thing. Everybody's different.

Just to clarify, the real risk is not somebody knocking on your door to confiscate the truck... The real issue is that if you get into any accident or issue on the road and they determine that you have a grey market truck, you will be responsible for all damages to all people regardless of fault... And they will take the truck... So if you are cool with maintenance drives around your neighborhood for the next 4 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom