200 Series Weight Reduction, Need advice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys, I am planning to gut out as much weight as possible from my LC200 to make it agile and handle better. Main concern is to get the front end as light as possible. Less nose dive the better during high speed offroad use.

Weight reductions currently: Only thing I have modified to that got rid of some weight was the KDSS hydraulic system and sway bars front and rear. Thats about 55-70LBS dont have exact measurements

Vehicle: 200 series land cruiser 2016

Engine: 5.7 V8

Weight reduction plan -

1. Get rid of the front differential, transfer case, front drive shaft, and front axels(220LBS-350 tops?)
2. Get rid of the steel ARB skid plate(55-70?LBS not sure).

Any ideas?, would love to hear from you guys

I would suggest removing the seats next. As much interior trim as possible. The heating ducts and AC system which is really unecessary. If you add up the weight of all the wiring it actually is substantial so I'd gut a bunch of wiring. The Nav head unit is pretty heavy you can junk that. Spare tire is just dead weight ( and the hoist). Do you really need power steering? I didn't think so.add to the pile. Fog lights, marker lights...heck just drive during the day and remove the headlights. Center console and cooler box can go. Sun visors. Horn. honestly you don't need so many lug nuts so I'd toss away 2 from each wheel. Since you're getting rid of the front drivetrain you don't need the front brake calipers and rotors. That's a lot of weight right there. Sunroof...remove and cover with visqeen plastic. You can shed a lot of cumulative weight by reducing the quantity of fluids the truck is carrying. Go for 1/3 reduction of coolant, transmission fluid, oil, diff fluid. Mirrors, body panels are dead weight. Oh yeah don't forget the Jack and tool set. All the speakers. Hope that helps

Battery! It sits way at the nose of the engine bay high up. Relocate it to a more central position, and/or go with a much smaller one.

A/C might be a matter of life and death in Qatar? But if you don't need it, gets rid of the compressor, condenser, and plumbing. It'll free up some HP and make engine cooling more efficient as well.

You could also remove one of the front wheels and relocate the other front wheel to the front center of the truck... picture an LC tryke. Or a Super Reliant Robin

I would suggest removing the seats next. As much interior trim as possible. The heating ducts and AC system which is really unecessary. If you add up the weight of all the wiring it actually is substantial so I'd gut a bunch of wiring. The Nav head unit is pretty heavy you can junk that. Spare tire is just dead weight ( and the hoist). Do you really need power steering? I didn't think so.add to the pile. Fog lights, marker lights...heck just drive during the day and remove the headlights. Center console and cooler box can go. Sun visors. Horn. honestly you don't need so many lug nuts so I'd toss away 2 from each wheel. Since you're getting rid of the front drivetrain you don't need the front brake calipers and rotors. That's a lot of weight right there. Sunroof...remove and cover with visqeen plastic. You can shed a lot of cumulative weight by reducing the quantity of fluids the truck is carrying. Go for 1/3 reduction of coolant, transmission fluid, oil, diff fluid. Mirrors, body panels are dead weight. Oh yeah don't forget the Jack and tool set. All the speakers. Hope that helps

Dude those ideas are really awesome!, Ive never had that in mind!. This project is going to be loads of fun. Thank you man appreciate it.

A/C might be a matter of life and death in Qatar? But if you don't need it, gets rid of the compressor, condenser, and plumbing. It'll free up some HP and make engine cooling more efficient as well.
New ideas!, Thanks a bunch.

Fill all of the tires with helium.
Soon you'll be floating OVER obstacles...
Also great at parties, as you can deflate and do squeaky voice tricks, etc.

A few more for major savings:

1. Remove windshield and passenger windows...replace with good pair of sunglasses and hair spray so as not to arrive to work with mussed melon.

2. Remove engine, and make it a dedicated down-hiller.

3. Remove ALL seats, and just stand with your head out the sunroof. Monster Truck drivers do it without a seat, so surely you can too...

flintstones.jpg

If it's good enough for Fred Flintstone it should be good enough for you

Last edited:
Unsprung weight. Lighter forged alloy wheels. The stock calipers, while excellent, are very heavy, an aftermarket aluminum caliper with shave some serious lbs. Two piece rotors, with aluminum hat, too.

Sell the pricey 200 and buy a dedicated pre-runner. The money you'd sink into turning a full-time 4wd luxury land cruiser into a pre-running toy is ridiculous. You could get a 2wd Tundra for that or even a Tacoma, keeping all the luxury and still be 1/2 a ton lighter that the 200 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom