200 Series Engine Seized at 58,000 miles ?? What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may have missed this but is $18k the engine and labor or just the engine? And does this include the $1k credit?
Just a used engine from a wreck .A full long block taken out of a wreck

Just a used engine from a wreck .A full long block taken out of a wreck
I wouldn’t trust a reman or rebuilt .. I would rather get one built on assembly line from like lkq. Out of a low mile that was wrecked.

Last edited:
Agreed, I think that good used with warranty or reman with warranty are the best choices.

I think that we're all saying walk away from that $18k price tag at the dealer :) It's not cheap, the warranty sucks, you're getting some half new/half used hybrid that likely sounds like it will not be gone through completely, etc.

Even if Toyota cover 50% I still would insist on having the good head rebuilt by a machine shop. And maybe the other head isn't junk either. It would be good to see a pic of the damage to the head. A small-medium gauge could be filled with weld and machined back to spec: I only wish I could TIG aluminum like this. And I've tried. Not saying just anyone can do this or that it is the right thing in this case, just that it can be done.

Update! I decided to hand write and mail a number of letters to Toyota Corporate Executives … with no actual hope of hearing back.

However, Great news! I received a call within a week and their Exec team and Regional worked out an arrangement where I ended up paying for 1/3 of basically a new engine. I felt this was a really fair solution and I’ve now had my LC back and driving great for about 3 weeks (after 2 months of trying to figure it out- lol) My faith in Toyota is restored :))

Thanks for all the suggestions and help along the way!

Update! I decided to hand write and mail a number of letters to Toyota Corporate Executives … with no actual hope of hearing back.

However, Great news! I received a call within a week and their Exec team and Regional worked out an arrangement where I ended up paying for 1/3 of basically a new engine. I felt this was a really fair solution and I’ve now had my LC back and driving great for about 3 weeks (after 2 months of trying to figure it out- lol) My faith in Toyota is restored :))

That’s amazing. Congratulations man.

That's awesome! Agreed that the arrangement seems fair. And thanks for following up here with the resolution.

Good on toyota for doing what’s right. And on you for accepting what seems like a reasonable deal.

Really glad this ended well.

That's awesome! Agreed that the arrangement seems fair. And thanks for following up here with the resolution.

So glad to see that you were taken care of. I am very familiar with this process and can say that the company did the right thing here. Here are a few thoughts:

1.) This should not have happened to your truck. My guess is the first owner never changed the oil and turned it in as a lease vehicle.
2.) Toyota does not want this to hurt their PR
3.) Most service reps out in the field now have ZERO tech experience and can't begin to make a decision of this nature alone
4.) asking to escalate this to the Regional level was smart
5.) being polite always helps
6.) They would have paid 50% is you were the original owner with Dealership service history
7:) 1/3 of the bill at a dealership as a 3rd owner and no service history is fair

I bought a 2013 Certified Lexus LX which now has 60k. I can't imagine how upset I would be if this failure happened to my LX. Due to my experience in this world and my belief that the company does do the right thing I use the dealer for all the services to document things just in case something goes bad. At some point past 7 years abnd 60k they won't fix anything no matter what but at least that dealer service history helps your resale value.

After the repair, I would trade it off for another LX or LC. That thing may not ever be right. So happy you are getting some help with it.

RKTINC

If there is a warranty on the work and everything seems right (no odd noises, missing or out of place bolts, exhaust leaks, etc) I’d take the one with the new engine for sure. It’s a lease on life.

Work this major typically isn’t given to the entry level techs. I am as much of a skeptic of dealership service departments as anyone, and probably have higher standards for my work (though admittedly self-taught) than any dealer.. but a brand new engine…

I might get under the hood and check some bolt torque values though.

Congrats man, that is a load off your shoulders. Kudos to you for being demanding and not taking “no” for an answer. It shouldn’t have come to you having to convince Toyota to do the right thing given the history of maintenance but in the end it worked out.

Glad everything worked out, especially in this crazy market.

Yep, going to Toyota corporate potentially in Japan is the way to go, well done.

I know this also works with German brands.

Congratulations!

Can you kindly tell us what exactly “basically new” is? It’s not the Frankenstein motor, is it?

Congratulations!

Can you kindly tell us what exactly “basically new” is? It’s not the Frankenstein motor, is it?
Thanks!!
I was told it was treated like a Factory warranty replacement- so everything was replaced new except for the 1 head that was not damaged. I also had them replace ALL the valve springs (just to be safe!) even in the undamaged head.

Fantastic outcome, very happy for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom