200 Series Engine Seized at 58,000 miles ?? What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So in any sort of discussion like this, the guy with the biggest stack of paperwork usually wins. Given the tidbit from Bjowett on the recall for faulty springs, some research into that, you need to assume the role of trial attorney and get your stack of paperwork together. Photocopies of every receipt for maintenance that was performed on the vehicle, combined with all the information about Toyota valve spring recalls, should be gathered up and presented to the Toyota factory service rep for your area. Then a serious discussion could be had with them. There is a smoking gun there, maybe related, maybe not, to your failure. At least there is the appearance of a smoking gun. That, along with proof that the vehicle has been maintained per Toyota's recommendations, could get you across the goal line.

Also, it would help to have a list of what you want (a factory engine replacement, installed by the dealer, with a full warranty) and what you would settle for. Ask for the first and see where it might take you. They've already offered up $1000, so there is some room there for more, I am guessing.

So in any sort of discussion like this, the guy with the biggest stack of paperwork usually wins. Given the tidbit from Bjowett on the recall for faulty springs, some research into that, you need to assume the role of trial attorney and get your stack of paperwork together. Photocopies of every receipt for maintenance that was performed on the vehicle, combined with all the information about Toyota valve spring recalls, should be gathered up and presented to the Toyota factory service rep for your area. Then a serious discussion could be had with them. There is a smoking gun there, maybe related, maybe not, to your failure. At least there is the appearance of a smoking gun. That, along with proof that the vehicle has been maintained per Toyota's recommendations, could get you across the goal line.

Also, it would help to have a list of what you want (a factory engine replacement, installed by the dealer, with a full warranty) and what you would settle for. Ask for the first and see where it might take you. They've already offered up $1000, so there is some room there for more, I am guessing.
Any thoughts on getting ahold of that broken valve spring and having it analyzed?

Any thoughts on getting ahold of that broken valve spring and having it analyzed?
I should hope so since by law the shop must return all parts if asked...

Good call though, a picture is nice but having the actual parts in hand might come in handy if some analysis needs to be done by a 3rd party.

Thanks for the suggestion- I’m willing to give anything a try! I guess I just need to keep pushing.

The Dealer said they’d only warranty their engine/repair 1 year - I told them I wanted at least 3 year since it’s an $18,000 repair that they’re proposing with new Toyota parts.... he came back and said “1 year is all Toyota will give us” I find it crazy they don’t trust their own new parts or mechanic enough to warranty it longer.

Thanks for the suggestion- I’m willing to give anything a try! I guess I just need to keep pushing.

The Dealer said they’d only warranty their engine/repair 1 year - I told them I wanted at least 3 year since it’s an $18,000 repair that they’re proposing with new Toyota parts.... he came back and said “1 year is all Toyota will give us” I find it crazy they don’t trust their own new parts or mechanic enough to warranty it longer.
So I think the trick here could be to arm the area service rep with enough information/paperwork so that he can easily justify approving the replacement of the engine. I presume they all have budgets to manage like anyone else. You need to make your case more compelling than everyone elses.

I hope you are dealing with the actual Toyota field service rep and not just the service manager and the dealership. If you aren't, you should ask the dealership to set up a meeting with the service rep for you. Would be better in person but might not be possible with Covid protocols.

I should hope so since by law the shop must return all parts if asked...

Good call though, a picture is nice but having the actual parts in hand might come in handy if some analysis needs to be done by a 3rd party.
I’m just thinking if they did a recall for inclusions on valve springs, and you can show that this valve spring has inclusions, it’d be a very strong case for toyota being responsible for the costs here.

Thanks! I am giving it a try and supposedly a Supervisor will be calling me back from Corporate... cross your fingers for me!

I may have missed this but is $18k the engine and labor or just the engine? And does this include the $1k credit?

I may have missed this but is $18k the engine and labor or just the engine? And does this include the $1k credit?
The $18k includes assembling a new engine with all new parts (except my 1 head that is still good, that they will reuse) and 60 hours of labor to do it. Doesn't include the credit.
I just can't wrap my head around spending that much... and only a 1 year warranty... but it would be a new engine.....

Or just get a reman installed for under $10k with 5 year warranty?

This is just unfortunate. It seems I was oversold on reliability, dependability and quality of LC 200. I think there could be some undocumented history to this engine. What could be the odds of this hitting to someone else engine? Or is it just a freak case? Seems need to be on top regular maintenance.
lol

The $18k includes assembling a new engine with all new parts (except my 1 head that is still good, that they will reuse) and 60 hours of labor to do it. Doesn't include the credit.
I just can't wrap my head around spending that much... and only a 1 year warranty... but it would be a new engine.....

Or just get a reman installed for under $10k with 5 year warranty?
I don't recommend that you use the other head, especially when you've gone that far to spend $18k and you're using your old head. At least if you do, make sure they put new springs on the head. Would be ultra shame if down the line, the used head causing the new motor to go out in the same way that the spring broke.

When you say assemble?......uhh thats red flags. I thought it comes with heads installed. Just without the intake manifold (which can be scavenged from the old motor), AC compressor, alternator, PS pump. So for $18k, you're getting a short block, and one new head? I definetly would've thought for that price, you be getting at least a long block, or even crate motor.

So for $18k, you're getting a short block, and one new head? I definetly would've thought for that price, you be getting at least a long block, or even crate motor.
My thoughts exactly

It isn’t a new engine if it has a 60k mile head, cams, cam phasers, valves, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BVE
You are the owner of a million mile motor that died at 50k miles. I would be polite, persistent, and not take no for an answer. The only solution is a replacement motor and a 5 year warranty on it. Take nothing less.

All that said, you are the second owner, and it’s out of warranty. If you were at gm or dodge, they would tell you to pound sand. I’m hoping Toyota will do the right thing and make you whole.

Being the 2nd owner and out of warranty, I think I would be happy with a resolution of splitting the cost 50/50 if I were in this situation. But definitely push for Toyota to cover it 100% as that leaves plenty of room to negotiate. Their offer of just $1000 isn't enough.

They are bending you over at 18k, at worst acquire a wrecked/low mileage 5.7 and give to them. They are wasting labor hours Frankensteining two motors together. For 18k I would’ve thought brand new everything.

I’d rather save 5-8k than have a 1 year warranty from Toyota. In fact I’d buy a 5.7, find a good independent Toyota mechanic and have them install it. This of course all assuming Toyota doesn’t eventually step up and take care of you in some way.

I would absolutely not pay $18k for that combo. No way. You're getting a short block and one new head.

This is why they will only give you a 1 year warranty. You aren't getting a motor that is either new or completely rebuilt. You're getting the worst of the in between but probably the cheapest price for the options they are willing or able to provide.

For example as noted above are they replacing all springs? Are they going to tear down the second head, magniflux it for cracks and machine it flat? I.e. send it out to a machine shop? They must do this to re-use that head. And how many of these have they done? Probably none. Like anything with repetition you gain knowledge. This is not something a dealership normally does. Can they do it well? Sure. But you're probably the first.

These are the sorts of things that easily get cut short if you don't know all the questions to ask. It shouldn't be on the customer to have to have this knowledge but it unfortunately is.

Either buy a good remanufactured engine and walk away from the $1k (you'll still be ahead), get more than $1k credit for the solution they are offering (still not my choice), or have the $1k credit applied to labor and send the engine out of the dealership for a complete rebuild.

The last would be my choice, but it is a significant investment in your time. In my opinion you need to know enough about the rebuild process to ask the right questions to find the right machinist. I learned this the hard way with my first 3FE rebuild (the 2FE was the second and I took it out of state to a LC only shop with a good relationship with a machine shop that knew the details of the F series engines).

In you case I'd buy a reman and try to get Toyota to eat the install labor with no warranty from them. They probably won't. Then I'd call Slee and ask them who they would recommend. And then tow the truck there. Drive it to 100k miles to cover the costs and sell it.

Last edited:

The dealer who damaged my engine offered to pay for the Toyota platinum warranty. I'm sure you know by now, take anything they say as suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom