2 problems - maybe related (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sj

Threads
Went hunting this weekend in Az for coues deer. Saw some bucks, one real big one that I was not able to get. Will try agian in a week.

Anyways back to my problem with my 87 FJ60 I am driving up and all of a suden my revs go real high like I am in nuetral. I take it out of gear and put in back in gear and keep driving. Later while still driving in, it happens agian. This time I play with it a while and I rev the engine up and down a couple of times. I just watch my tach go up and down, I could hear the engine reving. I put it in nuetral and then back in gear and keep driving. It never happend again. Any ideas?

Second. It does not stay in 4H, once I go over any bump it pops into 2H. I was able to put it in 4L and it would stay in. Any ideas?

One idea that I am playing with is that I have a motor mount or tansmission mount out. Because when I am out wheeling if I toqure the engine real bad it sounds like my fan is hitting the fan shroud. So the thought is that if there is too much movement it could cause these problems; fan hitting fan shroud, popping out of 4H, clutch disengaging.

On a side note, I now have a criket in my car. It is a high pitch repeating sound, like a criket. I can make it go away by touching the clutch pedal. Infact I can sit there and make it come and go just by tapping the pedal. Could this be the throughout bearing? I just had the clutch rebuilt about 14 months ago.

Thanks

Sean P

A friend had a similar problem with his t-case. The shifter handle was coming into contact with the cutout in the tranny hump knocking it out of 4. Check mounts. Your fan prob also sound like mounts. My wife broke a shroud when she had a broken mount.

Sounds like a loose or broken motor mount to me too, check torque of the mounts, then put a floor jack under the oilpan with a 2x4 spanning the length of the pan, then have someone slowly jack up on the oil pan while you watch the engine, look for seperating motor mounts and any other funky stuff.
Also check radiator supports and mounting.

Broken motor mount. Check both sides but its most likely on the left front mount. Replacements aren't too bad, and you'll want to do tha right away.

That 'cricket' sound you hear is your throwout bearing. Its relatively normal, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had a number of vehicles that did that, including my Fj55.

Almost forgot: an easy way to check motor mounts is to pop the hood and look into the engine bay while you have your wife or someone else quickly rev the motor. The torque will likely seperate the mount and you'll be able to see it. Replacement is easily done with a floor jack, a big block of wood, and a few minutes of time to bolt/unbolt the motor mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom