1st gen 4runner Tow wire harness, any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1st gen 4runner came with a flat four plug for towing but the brake lights on my trailer dont light up when depressed.
Thought maybe it was the trailer because I recently refurbished it, but thats not the case. Checked out fine with our 4th gen.
I'd like to clean up the PO's wiring. Anyone have a recommendation on a plug and play harness?

IMG_0615.JPG

I used a trailer harness to wire my rear bumper. I had an issue with LED lights. As I recall I couldn't run LED in the bumper, but I could in the truck. Nothing really plug and play for the 4Runner like there is for the truck. The taillight buckets in the back are fully contained. You will need to drill holes to get the wires in.

I would trace the brake light wire, I would guess that it is connect somewhere in the rear harness or at the lights, if not cut it and make a new connection.

Hopkins harness #43315 is plug and play trailer wiring harness. It took me about 30 min to install. Remove both tail lights, unplug factory wiring harness, plug Hopkins harness into factory harness and then plug both back into tail lights... done!
I had to ream out a little bit of metal to allow the Hopkins plug to pass through the factory wiring grommet hole.

20210624_102815.jpg

20210625_171134.jpg

Thanks all. Ordered, just havent had a chance to install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom