Hilux 1KZ conversion RHD LN106 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i decided time to upgrade from the factory 3L 2.8 diesel to a 1KZ. I don't want the reliability issues involved in aftermarket turbos on a 3L so going with a factory 1KZ-TE converted to mech pump.
Sourced a whole KZN185 and sold off the bits for triple what I paid for it and that's with me keeping the engine. Have to do an engine leg and sump / oil pick up swap to suit solid axle but as I'm already running an R151F transmission its simple to swap the KZ bellhousing on the the R box. Keeping it legal, had an engineer approve the mods to the frame as the engine mounts had to be moved back about 50mm using a dummy block as a jig, so I had a qualified welder friend TIG on a pair I cut from a wreck. Really hard to remove them and keep both the frame and the mount intact so I sacrificed the frame of the donor and carefully unstitched them on the bench, then just cut and carefully ground my existing ones off. Slow progress but this is where its at the moment. Must say tho the KZN185 1KZ manual pulls like a train so cant wait to fire it up in the LN106. Lots of pics for such slow going :)

Cutting off the old:

chop1.jpg

chop2.jpg

Back to bare metal with no nicks or gouges to the frame.

chop3.jpg

Test fit the dummy for engine mount positioning on the frame:

dummy block.jpg

Welds going on

IMG_6764.JPG

Last edited:
welded and painted

IMG_6766.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6791.JPG

Good as new and passed by the engineer :)

IMG_6796.PNG

IMG_6797.PNG

Last edited:
Donor vehicle and my LN106

Surf.jpg

hilux.jpg

That is just way beyond sexy. Can't wait to see the final install.

Hi there @ALX4X4 , new to this forum but I stumbled across your post looking for details on moving engine mounts. I am doing the same engine & gearbox conversion on a LN106 single cab. I see most people are moving mounts 40 to 50 mm but with the GB bolted down on the KZ crossmember it looks like I need to move 65 to 70 mm depending on where the bolts are in the slots. This makes it very tight on the firewall. Did you have this issue and move the gearbox mount too? Cheers, H.

I have dual cases as well and compared to the standard location I had to move the transmission back 20mm as well compared to stock. The 1kz bellhousing is deeper than the R to L engine bellhousing and I ran out of room for the fan. Anyway first start 2 days ago 👌

Nice job. Looks factory. Pretty much is I guess. I'd probably be screwed if I had to have an engineer approve my build. :oops:
Just posted the first crank and start 👍

I have dual cases as well and compared to the standard location I had to move the transmission back 20mm as well compared to stock. The 1kz bellhousing is deeper than the R to L engine bellhousing and I ran out of room for the fan. Anyway first start 2 days ago 👌

Did you use the LN106 crossmember? Going back 65mm might buy some fan space up front then. I guess a modest cab lift will help at the firewall.

Did you use the LN106 crossmember? Going back 65mm might buy some fan space up front then. I guess a modest cab lift will help at the firewall.
@ALX4X4 I found the difference between the LN and KZN crossmember. About 20mm. Explains why my engine mounts need to move so far.

Would you see any down side to moving so close to the firewall or would you go back to the LN crossmember?

Your posts have been very informative, cheers.

@ALX4X4 I found the difference between the LN and KZN crossmember. About 20mm. Explains why my engine mounts need to move so far.

Would you see any down side to moving so close to the firewall or would you go back to the LN crossmember?

Your posts have been very informative, cheers.
Definitely as far back as you can the fan and fan hub chew up a lot of room. Ig the KZ x menber moves your tranfer case back 20mm over current, I'd use that and drop your engine in and weld mounts to suit. I found it MUCH easer to chop the whole frame rail mount from a wreck and grind the welds off on the bench- trying to remove and re-use your original frame mounts will be a chore as access is so poor in-situ. Much easire to cut them off without a care in the eorld then drop in your carefully prepped ones from a wreck :)
Wont fit if you use the LN x member, ask me how I know.....AFTER we'd welded the mounts....

3" full mandrel bend zorst going in I had a LOT of help from a mate on this one namely he can weld with style....
Fabbed the dump in stainless rest is in mild. All tacked then removed for full weld. I 've just got to hi-temp paint the welds now.

dump.jpg

IMG-7649.jpg

IMG-7650.jpg

IMG-7651.jpg

IMG-7653.jpg

A couple more...

IMG-7654.jpg

IMG-7655.jpg

A bit of turbo whistle out of the dump before the rest of the zorst goes on..... My eldest tweaking the throttle.

Wow! Such a cool build. That truck will be unstoppable with the 1KZ diesel and dual case setup.

I would love to swap a 1KZ-T (with mechanical pump conversion) into a 1979 to 1983 Hilux.

Hilux.jpg

Added a couple of gauges - flipped the little coin tray thingummy upside down and hole sawed it out.
All connected just got to go for a test drive.
Fan shroud fabrication has begun too....

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.png

5.png

I love your progress, and it's actually very helpful for me, I'm putting a 1KZT-E from a KZJ95 LandCruiser into my LN165 Hilux (2000 my.) which came with the 2L-T originally, currently sourcing a R150f gearbox to make this all work, as the 1KZT-E LandCruiser has the front diff on the leftside as opposed to my Hilux.

I started the thing up on the floor in my garage, with the e- fuel pump and everything, so I intend to keep it electronic.

Greetings from Iceland !

I love your progress, and it's actually very helpful for me, I'm putting a 1KZT-E from a KZJ95 LandCruiser into my LN165 Hilux (2000 my.) which came with the 2L-T originally, currently sourcing a R150f gearbox to make this all work, as the 1KZT-E LandCruiser has the front diff on the leftside as opposed to my Hilux.

I started the thing up on the floor in my garage, with the e- fuel pump and everything, so I intend to keep it electronic.

Greetings from Iceland !

Awesome!

Greetings from Iceland !

Ive got an R150 with the 160mm input shaft, bolt on a KZ bellhousing - theres one for sale local to me for AUD$100 - and you're set ! Shipping to Iceland tho......
Anyway good luck and keep plugging away if I can help let me know. More fans shroud pics its coming along then just need to re gas the AC have a tune done and voila, its done. There's a youtube video of a couple of guys here in Aus doing a KZ conversion in a weekend, some aspects of that made me shudder for sure but hey, I'm a year into mine and it's still not finished lol.

IMG_7931[1].PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom