1HDT vs 2LTE rod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
A friend is rebuilding his 1HDT. I put a 2LTE piston rod beside his. Thought it was sort of neat. They both look super beefy.

1HDT left (dirty one), 2LTE right:

IMG_20230803_165404828_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230803_165519963_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230803_165315712_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230803_165221060.jpg
IMG_20230803_165243130.jpg

Wow! that's interesting because the 2lTE is a 4cylender - and you would think the 1HDT is way more heavy duty. Impressive.

Wow! that's interesting because the 2lTE is a 4cylender - and you would think the 1HDT is way more heavy duty. Impressive.
The cylinder volumes are similar. 0.7l for 1hdt and 0.6l for 2lte. Both are turbo, so got beefy bottom ends I guess.

To me the 2lte rods look more refined, but it is a higher revving motor I guess. Oil squirter on the 2lte actually sprays into a cavity in the top of the piston to cool it. Neat.

The cylinder volumes are similar. 0.7l for 1hdt and 0.6l for 2lte. Both are turbo, so got beefy bottom ends I guess.

To me the 2lte rods look more refined, but it is a higher revving motor I guess. Oil squirter on the 2lte actually sprays into a cavity in the top of the piston to cool it. Neat.
Toyotas build great engines.

The 2LTE would be a great engine if it had better cooling and a head. Maybe even direct injection of I'm allowed to imagine that. The bottom end looks so solid and it revs out pretty nicely

Check out the size difference in wrist pins.

I think the 1hd-t wins the beefcake award :lol:
Looks like the 2Lt pin tapers to about the same diameter as the 1HD-T. interesting

The 2LTE would be a great engine if it had better cooling and a head. Maybe even direct injection of I'm allowed to imagine that. The bottom end looks so solid and it revs out pretty nicely

Reading old SAE papers, they did use the 2lte to test and develop a few new technologies at the time like ECD, ceramic fiber reinforced pistons and even silicon nitride ceramic precups in the 2lthe version. Ultimately though, it was pretty much inhibited by IDI + turbo. Just too thermally inefficient, causing the heat issues and cracked head. Direct injection was the future. That said, 2lt-ii (mechanical injection version) was made through 2002 in ln165 I think. Those engines were a lot more reliable I think with some head improvements. All the bottom ends are tough though. As long as folks use the right thickness head gaskets when putting on new heads (otherwise pistons kiss valves and take out big end bearings).

Last edited:
Looks like the 2Lt pin tapers to about the same diameter as the 1HD-T. interesting

I noticed the piston pin differences too. The hole in the 2lte one is smaller than the 1hdt one, but outter diameter also smaller, and there is the taper. Looks to me like they were trying to reduce rotating mass of the 2lte combo? Also, IDI tech would put less shock on the piston than TDI tech? So a bit smaller is ok. When I compared weight difference, the 2lte combo was 4.6lb and 1hdt 4.8lb.

Wonder if I could cram some 1HDT pistons and rods in to my 2lt and crank the fuel 😅

My friend with the HDJ80 is running 18psi intercooled and fuel to match with his 1HDT. We've raced a few times (comical really, lol), but I do beat him every time! 2LT can be fine with it's own pistons rods, turbo, intercooled with a good tune....for a while till the heat builds anyhow, haha! (Note: My truck is 1000lb lighter, and my 4.88 diffs help me).

Also, IDI tech would put less shock on the piston than TDI tech?
I definitely think this is the case. People say IDIs are quieter and it would make sense to me that less mechanical noise means less mechanical stress. But if the 1HDT has multi stage injection maybe that changes things (I have no idea)

I definitely think this is the case. People say IDIs are quieter and it would make sense to me that less mechanical noise means less mechanical stress. But if the 1HDT has multi stage injection maybe that changes things (I have no idea)
Interesting that people consider IDI quieter; I have generally found IDI engines to be noisier than DI. Perhaps the "clatter" of the IDI seems like it makes more noise when in fact it just sounds different. For example, my VW TDI seems much quieter than my Mercedes OM617, and the 1HD-T I had seemed quieter than my 2L-TE. The notable exception to this would be a 12-valve Cummins 6BT; those are crazy loud, even at idle.

Interesting that people consider IDI quieter; I have generally found IDI engines to be noisier than DI. Perhaps the "clatter" of the IDI seems like it makes more noise when in fact it just sounds different. For example, my VW TDI seems much quieter than my Mercedes OM617, and the 1HD-T I had seemed quieter than my 2L-TE. The notable exception to this would be a 12-valve Cummins 6BT; those are crazy loud, even at idle.

My diesel LandCruiser sounds so rattly, like there is a bucket of bolts in the engine bay.

On long road trips I start to wonder what all of the little ticks/clacks/knocks are.

Btw it’s a perfectly healthy engine.

I think generally having the combustion bowl in the piston of the direct injection engines causes it to endure a bit more stress. The indirect injection get this in the pre-cup, where it flows out more progressively to the piston for less sudden pressure?

1HDT piston fail:

iiq5QrI.jpg

3B precup failure aftermath:

attachment.php

I think you're on to something there. In addition, the lower injection pressures in an IDI system would likely translate to less atomization of the fuel and therefore a slower combustion event.

The direct injection engine loses less heat into the piston bowl than the IDI head loses into the pre-cup. That's the biggest efficiency killer for IDI. Those pre-cups run hot and it's lost to the cooling system instead of heating the charge.

Because of that heat loss the IDI has to run more static compression which limits boost capacity. This ultimately limits torque and power capacity. But they can rev faster to make up for some of the torque loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom