1HD-T H55 split case INTO A 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Radd Cruisers said:
Still working on the photos, camera is not coperating?????

Engine mounts today, I made good templates and could duplicate this set if need for a 1HZ or 1HD-T into a 60 series.

Lost the last templates.

Rob

looks good, i'd be interested in a set for my 1HZ. I am going to swap out my frame soon so i will need new brackets. I'll shoot you a pm.

I can honestly say the engine is angled perfectly, the brackets took over 3 hours to massage the templates.

After installing, no fitting was needed, they slid in and weled up first try.

Guess this why people say spend the most time on templates, it pays off in the end.

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
I can honestly say the engine is angled perfectly, the brackets took over 3 hours to massage the templates.

After installing, no fitting was needed, they slid in and weled up first try.

Guess this why people say spend the most time on templates, it pays off in the end.

Rob

Well Rob, how do you compare that to how the HZ fit in my rig? Interested.....

I did not have the body on when we installed your engine, I would say just as good, but I had the advantage this time to fit the radiator prior.

HZJ60 Guy said:
Well Rob, how do you compare that to how the HZ fit in my rig? Interested.....

What radiator are you going to use? 3fe? The top hose port on these is on the driver's side, same side as its corresponding port on the 1HZ block (i assume it would be the same for 1HD-T. Custom shroud or did you find an OE one that will work?

As mentoned i am going to be installing a new frame soon so I will basicaly have to do this all over again. Not having to fabricate mount brackets and a shroud again will save me a lot of time.

The truck actually has a four core aluminuim unit with the proper side drop, I think this fellow spent a few dollars on this hot rodded 2F and had trouble getting it to run right.

I was just thining about the motor mounts, VT emailed me and it clicked that the mounts on the engine are specific to a 81 series and my brackets would probably not work.

I started thinking about the 1HZ brackets and how long the passenger side was and it dawned on me that they must be different lengths, I am speaking of the motor moounts to rubber isolators.

Rob

VTCruiser said:
What radiator are you going to use? 3fe? The top hose port on these is on the driver's side, same side as its corresponding port on the 1HZ block (i assume it would be the same for 1HD-T. Custom shroud or did you find an OE one that will work?

As mentoned i am going to be installing a new frame soon so I will basicaly have to do this all over again. Not having to fabricate mount brackets and a shroud again will save me a lot of time.

Really interested to hear details on mating the engine/tranny. If it is possible to mate a 1HD-T to a H55f I may go back to investigating mating a 1FZ-FE to my A440f. I had gotten stuck as all roads pointed to a custom bellhousing or adapter ring but if there is a bellhousing had has the 1HD-T/1FZ-FE on the motor side and the H42/H55/A440 on the tranny side I might give this swap another look (I don't think that even Washington's loose emissions would let me fly with a non US engine even though a 1HD-T would be my dream engine for my FJ-62).

Hey Rob,

What kind of motor/trans do you want to drop into my fj62? I'm getting tired of this 3FE!

Well, if I had the money to drop a engine into a FJ62, I would go with the 1HD-FT and five speed factory tranny.

Been some talk however I am not sure if you can make the transfercase full mechanical? I think Gary Kardum did this on his FJ45 on 80 series chasis project, I also think Slee sells the kit?

If not do the H55 tranny with the clutch setup Sheldon and Greg put into the one we are currently working on.

muddogbob said:
Hey Rob,

What kind of motor/trans do you want to drop into my fj62? I'm getting tired of this 3FE!

Radd Cruisers said:
If not do the H55 tranny with the clutch setup Sheldon and Greg put into the one we are currently working on.

Rob of greg/sheldon more details on this please. A custom bellhousing?

Regarding mating a 1HDT to an H55f:

My cruiser underwent such a swap last year. Icky (Jeff B.) and I collaborated on the mating issues and G&S were the beneficiaries of the knowledge we gained. The bellhousing and H55f needed are from a 1HZ powered 70 series (70/73/75 etc.) Since the block casting is the same between the 1HZ and the 1HDT, the bellhousing bolts up. This is not the case with a 1FZFE unfortunately, no H55f was installed at the factory behind a 1FZF/1FZFE.

The HZJ7x transmission unfortunately has a 21 spline input shaft, where as a 1HDT normally takes a 300 mm (exc. Western Europe) clutch disc with 14 splines. Toyota makes no 300 mm clutch disc with 21 splines. Serendipitously, Isuzu makes such a clutch disc that mates with the 1HZ version of H55f perfectly. Note that the 3F/2H/3B versions of H55f do not have the same input dimensions and cannot be used for such a conversion unless the input is replaced.

The clutch pressure plate itself is a 1HDT part.

Another option to use 100% Toyota parts is to use a 1HZ flywheel and clutch disc and pp, but these only measure 275 mm. Western Europeans for some reason also get the smaller clutch size, but they seem to do fine with it.

Best of luck, Rob. Awesome project.

Dave

FYI: The clutch plate is to fit a 1991-97 Isuzu NPR truck with a 4BD1 or 4BD2 3.9L Turbo diesel. Daikin Clutch number ISD134, Isuzu part number 8-94462-789-3.

Dave

Thanks for posting up that information Dave.

And thanks for the props on the install, it should be real cool rig when done.

Only hitch so far is this later model truck does not have the plugs in the wiring harness to quickly install the vacume shift for 2 to 4 wheel drive, so it has to be all wired in.

Now the customer is going for the full meal deal, he wants his fenders pulled strait and a fresh coat of paint on it.......

If I was into bending tube i would offer up some sliders and front fender protection. He is from Oregon and could drop by Marks shop (Metal Tech) for those accessories.

Rob

beanz2 said:
FYI: The clutch plate is to fit a 1991-97 Isuzu NPR truck with a 4BD1 or 4BD2 3.9L Turbo diesel. Daikin Clutch number ISD134, Isuzu part number 8-94462-789-3.

Dave

Good. We were silent publicly for a reason. We did not think it our business to post up this information, nor take credit for information we did not create, unless permission asked and given. I was wondering how long it would be Beanz2 :D

gb

rainforrest445.jpg

rainforrest451.jpg

rainforrest447.jpg

rainforrest443.jpg

rainforrest446.jpg

some pics of the 1HZ fine spline shaft and the coarse 2H shaft. Also comparison between the hj and the larger HZJ bellhousing. cheers.gazza

Good pics, BBD. And cheers to Greg_B.

I now recall that a gearbox expert from bigbrowndog's neck of the woods had doubts whether an input shaft from a 1HZ would be a viable swap into a 2F/2H gearbox for the long term. He said while it would physically fit, there is some incompatibility in the way the gears are cut and would lead to long term wear problems. I also heard the same comment from another guy I highly respect from Melbourne. Such swaps have been done into several 5 speeds around here, but I wonder if they have been run over large distances enough to see if there are any wear problems.

Anyone can add their experience here?

Dave

beanz2 said:

Dave

this part is for 21 splines input shaft . ?

dave-

33421-60060 is THE counter gear 1985-1998 H55 for all BJ.HJ, HZJ, FJ heavy duty models.

for some goofy reason the HJ61's use a 60050 counter, but having not seen them I don't know the difference.

If the mesh between a HJ/FJ input is the same as the HZJ (as previously determined by A.N. and Icky circa 1996) there should be zero difference in wear etc.

rick

More good info, ya learn something new every day.

Couple pics, one of my son and his best buddy.

Today was kinda slow, sound deadening material 1/2 thick, this is the best stuff I have ever used. in between two layers of foam is the heavier thick sound deadening material then the silver foil cover to reflect heat.

Bent up the fuel lines, feed and return and ran across fire wall.

Got the 0 to 6 PSI adjustable pressure adjuster for the pump, also picked up the electric fuel pump that runs at 6PSI. Racor filter which runs 60 gallons per hour with a 10 mircon filter(will toss this and install a 2 micron before start up).

Tomorrow I will pick up the switchs and parts needed for the low oil pressure shut down.

I will also pickup battery trays, BJ60 air filter housing (HDJ81 housing would be perfect or even the top with 90 degree elbow).

Drive shafts in for lengthening, radiator in getting lower dropped moved about four inches as it is aluminium and am not set up to weld that stuff.

Tackle wiring tomorrow, before engine goes in, everthing I can do in the engine bay without the engine will get done(life is much easier this way).

Rob
DSC00025.JPG
DSC00029.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom