1997 with Death Wobble? ...help appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just my opinion I have had three sets of Goodyear MTRs the second gen ones like what you have. The first set wore down nice and lasted pretty good, this set I got when Goodyear first came out with them, numerous wheeling trips and hwy to get there. Second set was good till about 60 percent tread left , developed death wobble. I changed ton stuff , then went and bought another set of MTRs. Death wobble went away all was good. Same thing at around 60 percent again, changed some stuff rebuilt front axle , etc etc, bought new tires all is good again. With all this being said i wheel on these tires pretty good I live in Colorado and go to moab mulitie times a year then I run low pressure in them and have been none to hwy drive with low pressure. I have two buddies that also run MTR that have developed death wobble once they wear down. We are all running 37 and larger and driving hwy speeds. Wobble seems to come on about 40-50 mph range, no amount of balancing could fix any set. I no longer buy Goodyear.

Even one tire that looks like that definitely could be the cause of the issues you're having. I definitely wouldn't drive on those anymore. Hopefully new rubber fixes it!
I won't. Gonna drive it (carefully) to get new shoes. If I would've known I had cracks that bad I wouldn't have been driving it anyway.

Just my opinion I have had three sets of Goodyear MTRs the second gen ones like what you have. The first set wore down nice and lasted pretty good, this set I got when Goodyear first came out with them, numerous wheeling trips and hwy to get there. Second set was good till about 60 percent tread left , developed death wobble. I changed ton stuff , then went and bought another set of MTRs. Death wobble went away all was good. Same thing at around 60 percent again, changed some stuff rebuilt front axle , etc etc, bought new tires all is good again. With all this being said i wheel on these tires pretty good I live in Colorado and go to moab mulitie times a year then I run low pressure in them and have been none to hwy drive with low pressure. I have two buddies that also run MTR that have developed death wobble once they wear down. We are all running 37 and larger and driving hwy speeds. Wobble seems to come on about 40-50 mph range, no amount of balancing could fix any set. I no longer buy Goodyear.
This is my current worry. Even before I saw the cracks this morning I had been contemplating trying a different tire if I couldn't get these to balance. The MTR's have been awesome off-road but we use the 80 for a lot of different things, not just wheeling. I think I'm going to stay with a MT but based on what I keep reading I doubt I will get another set of MTR's.

This is my current worry. Even before I saw the cracks this morning I had been contemplating trying a different tire if I couldn't get these to balance. The MTR's have been awesome off-road but we use the 80 for a lot of different things, not just wheeling. I think I'm going to stay with a MT but based on what I keep reading I doubt I will get another set of MTR's.
Funny you should mention. I have a set of MTR's on my truck right now and will eventually be going back to an AT. These are the best tire off road I've ever had, but they're super heavy and just unnecessary for my own use. I haven't had any specific issues with them, but another set is not in the future for me either.

Funny you should mention. I have a set of MTR's on my truck right now and will eventually be going back to an AT. These are the best tire off road I've ever had, but they're super heavy and just unnecessary for my own use. I haven't had any specific issues with them, but another set is not in the future for me either.
If I wasn't concerned about balancing I would get another set. The cracking I think is due only to age in my case. Can't blame them for finally breaking down after sitting out in the sun for 6 years, give or take.

I have to say, when I sold my 80 with MTRs (probably 75% at least tread) I had horrible death wobble as well. I told the buyer about the wobble (friend of mine). Months later I asked if he figured it out, longs story short he just drove it more than I did and seemed to fix. Useful info? not sure, but odd similar with your case. Anywho, I know lots run that tire with out issue.

I have to say, when I sold my 80 with MTRs (probably 75% at least tread) I had horrible death wobble as well. I told the buyer about the wobble (friend of mine). Months later I asked if he figured it out, longs story short he just drove it more than I did and seemed to fix. Useful info? not sure, but odd similar with your case. Anywho, I know lots run that tire with out issue.
I drive mine plenty in terms of frequency. Not saying that wasn't the issue. Idk, maybe they just needed to be rotated more? It's kinda disappointing because I like the look and off-road performance of these tires but I don't want to plunk down $1500 for tires and only get to half tread before I have the same issue.

Go the Yokohama M/T’s. Fairly true to size, balance well for an m/t, price is solid, hook up awesome off-road, not crazy loud on the highway. I am on my second set, zero vibes at 80mph with the Yokohama’s which I have experienced with other brands.

Cheers

Go the Yokohama M/T’s. Fairly true to size, balance well for an m/t, price is solid, hook up awesome off-road, not crazy loud on the highway. I am on my second set, zero vibes at 80mph with the Yokohama’s which I have experienced with other brands.

Cheers
another vote for Yokohamas MT's

1628394359405.png

Get whichever you get a better deal on. They're both good products. I can't speak for noise on the Yokos, but I've been shocked at how quiet the KM3s are. My worn out Nitto ATs were louder than the KM3s.

OK so apparently everybody and their mom is buying tires right now. Yokohama's and BFG's are on backorder...this really sucks because I need the 80 as a second vehicle. I drive it to work sometimes and only having one car when you and your spouse work really blows. Anybody have ideas?

I've heard good things from folks running these:

I run the AT and it performs really well and has been durable also.

Maybe expand your search, I ditched the MT's and bought Cooper AT3 LT's. Super quiet and balanced up great, they've gotten dirty and have done pretty well.

I've heard good things from folks running these:

I run the AT and it performs really well and has been durable also.
These are on my radar. My concern was the large lugs and possibly dangerous lack of grip in snow/slush. The Yoko's have more siping and more biting edges....still not a hard no on the Firestones but if I'm paying 2k for tires it kinda sucks to settle.

Maybe expand your search, I ditched the MT's and bought Cooper AT3 LT's. Super quiet and balanced up great, they've gotten dirty and have done pretty well.
For an AT I like the look of these, but I've heard mixed things about wear. Not sure what to make of it.

You check with Costco? They seem to be able to get hard to find tires in my area.

You check with Costco? They seem to be able to get hard to find tires in my area.
I don't have Costco where I'm at. I guess I could check with them and then try to go get the tires if they have them. Still thinking about options.

Rubber as a raw material is tough to get a hold of right now.

You're better off seeing which tires you can actually get your hands on in a reasonable time and then make a decision. Also, this is one of the few times that going to a weird size can be beneficial...most people overlook them so they sit on shelves.

OK so after calling four different places today and none of them having the Yokohama's, I found them on tire rack and ordered them. Got a call from Tire Rack an hour or so later, said they were on back order and couldn't get them. That's when I posted up earlier. I just found them on Amazon (actually on Simple Tire but ordered through Amazon) and ordered 5. They showed as being in stock. I guess we'll see. Hopefully Amazon's supply chain can work some magic. If not, I'll settle on another tire because I can't wait a month or more to have new ones put on. I'll update this thread when I know more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom