1997 with Death Wobble? ...help appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Side note: I didn't realize these tires are actually made in Japan. Obviously Yokohama is a Japanese brand but they have plants in VA and MI too. Don't think that necessarily changes anything but I thought it was interesting.

Those are the new geolanders, they’ve only been making them for maybe a couple years. Shouldn’t have to worry about them being old if you put much thought into it.

let us know how it runs with the new rubbers on er

OK but the point being tires on shelves last a heck of a lot longer than tires out in the elements.

Actually, this might not be correct.
Tyres that are in regular use get hot and stay pliable.
I had a project car that sat for a few years on quite new BFG All Terrains. They went rock hard through lack of use.
First drive was interesting on tyres that squealed and squeaked at every turn

I've been following your posts, because I've been fighting a bad death wobble on my 97 80 with a 6" lift and 37's. Last weekend I did a brake overhaul... replaced master cylinder, calipers, rotors, and pads. Miraculously, the death wobble is now gone! Doesn't make sense to me... but I'll take it.

Just wanted to pass it along. Good luck!

I've been following your posts, because I've been fighting a bad death wobble on my 97 80 with a 6" lift and 37's. Last weekend I did a brake overhaul... replaced master cylinder, calipers, rotors, and pads. Miraculously, the death wobble is now gone! Doesn't make sense to me... but I'll take it.

Just wanted to pass it along. Good luck!
Yeah my brake system is all new so for me that wasn't it. I could see it being and issue though.

Edit: I did, however, have a pull when braking before I replaced everything. That went away with new OEM parts. I think one of my calipers might have been sticking. Don't know what the specific cause was, don't care. But yeah, new brakes are awesome for having peace of mind and being able to diagnose other issues.

Last edited:
Actually, this might not be correct.
Tyres that are in regular use get hot and stay pliable.
I had a project car that sat for a few years on quite new BFG All Terrains. They went rock hard through lack of use.
First drive was interesting on tyres that squealed and squeaked at every turn
I was comparing tires getting baked in sunlight vs tires in a shaded/non-extreme environment. But yes, I can imagine they go bad just sitting as well.

Got the new meats mounted today. I've only driven the 80 a few miles home so not enough to have a solid impression yet. And I went from old crappy tires to brand new ones, so it isn't really fair to compare noise level, etc. Anyhoo, here's some pics. I think they paired pretty well with the F5's.
20210817_175118.jpg

20210817_175100.jpg

20210817_175107.jpg

Got the Escape Gear tire cover mounted this evening. Yes, I know it's not perfectly level but that was my second attempt with the same result. Not that worried about it. Really pleased with the cover. Quality seems to be great and fit was excellent.
20210818_202331.jpg

20210818_202340.jpg

20210818_202357.jpg

Did tires eliminate your death wobbles?
The panhard bushings eliminated the death wobble but I could tell the truck was still having issues. I would get periodic vibrations in the steering where the old tires were irregular and breaking down. New rubber seems to have cured that entirely. I did hit a weird patch in the pavement with the new tires the other day and it gave me some very brief feedback in the steering wheel but I think that was more a factor of mud terrain tires and the lugs catching something funny on the road surface.

The panhard bushings eliminated the death wobble but I could tell the truck was still having issues. I would get periodic vibrations in the steering where the old tires were irregular and breaking down. New rubber seems to have cured that entirely. I did hit a weird patch in the pavement with the new tires the other day and it gave me some very brief feedback in the steering wheel but I think that was more a factor of mud terrain tires and the lugs catching something funny on the road surface.
Good news :)

How is your steering dampener? Perhaps involved with brief oddity?

I'm currently experiencing this and it's heartbreaking because I had to park my daily driven 80 a few weeks back in favor of my parent's 04 Armada s***box. Even without AC I'd take my 80 over that thing any day. Mine wobbles so bad that the L/H range selector wobbles back and forth violently along with the steering wheel and front tires. I'm going home after work and starting by checking if any wheel weights have come off as well as rotating tires. After that if it persists I'll be taking it to my buddy who just opened a TLC/Toyota related specialty shop locally. On a side note, I'll soon be able to have something else to drive as well because a friend just gave me a 00 LX470 free that seems to need front axles and hub flanges.

I'm currently experiencing this and it's heartbreaking because I had to park my daily driven 80 a few weeks back in favor of my parent's 04 Armada s***box. Even without AC I'd take my 80 over that thing any day. Mine wobbles so bad that the L/H range selector wobbles back and forth violently along with the steering wheel and front tires. I'm going home after work and starting by checking if any wheel weights have come off as well as rotating tires. After that if it persists I'll be taking it to my buddy who just opened a TLC/Toyota related specialty shop locally. On a side note, I'll soon be able to have something else to drive as well because a friend just gave me a 00 LX470 free that seems to need front axles and hub flanges.
Hope you get yours fixed. Mine was definitely the old tires combined with tired bushings. The bushings aren't hard to replace if you have a press. If not, I'm sure your buddy would let you use his if you remove the panhard and take it to him.

Mine ended up being track bar bushings. They were shot. Buddy swapped a stock bar on for now until he can either find correct sized bushings for the adjustable bar we pulled off or me buy a complete new adjustable bar.

Mine ended up being track bar bushings. They were shot. Buddy swapped a stock bar on for now until he can either find correct sized bushings for the adjustable bar we pulled off or me buy a complete new adjustable bar.
Yeah I saw a marked improvement after putting new panhard bushings in.

I forgot to update this. I put the new OME steering stab on. Same as my old one, just a little less tired. This has helped with some of those minor on-road steering deviations but it's easy to see why people had told me it wasn't the root problem. After having gone through this, I now concur. But, new parts are always nice because assuming you install them correctly they eliminate one more thing that could be a problem. So far, the new panhard bushings and new tires have really improved drivability. I still have some suspension gremlins to work out but taking turns and going over uneven patches in the road at speed has vastly improved compared to the old, dangerous tires and busted bushings I was on. Overall, I'm pleased and encouraged.

20210901_170847.jpg

I'd be more concerned about whatever is causing that puddle of oil on your driveway. :flipoff2: Mostly kidding but I do hate standing oil leaks on my trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom