1997 FzJ80 - Let's Begin a Baseline! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5/28/28 and 5/27/23
UPDATE: IGNITION SYSTEM, Front Carpets, & WellVisors Part III

WellVisors

After much back and forth, I finally settled on the Wellvfisors brand of window covers / deflectors. They have several little clips to install in the weather stripping and then you secure them with small, tiny, plastipc pushpis. They hold amazingly well but the clips are a pain to line up AFTER you set the visor with the tape pulled. Very easy install but frustrating. Also, WellVisors doesn't add any instructions...you need to go out to Youtube for an instruction video. Thankfully, they have an install using an 80 series.

They turned out real nice...I like them, but I have a bit of a blind spot on the driver side while turning left, which I'll need to get used to / adjust for.
They are really thick plastic, and about 5 pounds overall (1.25 lbs or so each) - will they get cracked on the trail? Probably...but for now, they look good and give me some added sun protection.

This was purely a personal creature comfort update for $65 via WellVisors
8D2EEAE3-4D9B-4FC2-8030-229730BE0BA5.JPG

BF503495-C7BD-441F-85D1-689DDE23C237.JPG

F1FB6BDF-7928-4F93-ABF9-2FD4DD9B200C.JPG

Ordering the PCV valve, grommet, hoses, and probably the o2 sensors tomorrow.
It's not much to update, but it's something to say "it's done" from the list.

I've also been thinking about R/R the starter and alternator...they both appear to be stock - but while they are not giving me any issues, I'm hesitant.
If I remove them now, they would be just PM.

Did you ever do the head gasket?? I read most of the post. You’re so close to magic mileage. When it goes it goes and may ruin every pics done. I know it may be daunting, but man, great truck, I bought mine with a blown motor at 310k. Don’t think most make to that long. Great truck!

Did you ever do the head gasket?? I read most of the post. You’re so close to magic mileage. When it goes it goes and may ruin every pics done. I know it may be daunting, but man, great truck, I bought mine with a blown motor at 310k. Don’t think most make to that long. Great truck!
Thanks! I appreciate your comments! And that you've read through all of my posts!

To answer your question...No, I haven't done the HG, and I have no idea what the PO did.
When I took it to my LC specific shop, they mentioned it runs smoother than a lot that they've seen.
I think the PO took care of the engine, but let everything else slide. I mean, it had different, non-matching tires (AND different sized) when I purchased it.

I'm sending the oil out for analysis...meant to do it on my last update but got side tracked. If it comes back with a hint of HG issues, I'll go from there.

Buddy of mine had his '96 that had 525k miles on it...he bought it as a lease return in 1999 with 24k miles on it...so he's put just at 500k miles...and he's never done the HG.

My brother has a '97 with ~340k miles...no issues with the HG. He's the 2nd owner also and purchased it around 50K miles.

I'm TECHNICALLY the second owner of mine...and by that, I mean, the original owner sold it to a flipper...or he just needed the money. He had it for less than a month. I paid $2,300-ish in 2016 with (then) ~199k miles

I'm taking good precautions on the cooling system...I replaced the entire cooling system last summer and I'm not losing any water anywhere; I check the coolant level before hitting a trail and I use a monitoring system via my phone. I'm hoping I don't have any issues any time soon ;)

Thanks! I appreciate your comments! And that you've read through all of my posts!

To answer your question...No, I haven't done the HG, and I have no idea what the PO did.
When I took it to my LC specific shop, they mentioned it runs smoother than a lot that they've seen.
I think the PO took care of the engine, but let everything else slide. I mean, it had different, non-matching tires (AND different sized) when I purchased it.

I'm sending the oil out for analysis...meant to do it on my last update but got side tracked. If it comes back with a hint of HG issues, I'll go from there.

Buddy of mine had his '96 that had 525k miles on it...he bought it as a lease return in 1999 with 24k miles on it...so he's put just at 500k miles...and he's never done the HG.

My brother has a '97 with ~340k miles...no issues with the HG. He's the 2nd owner also and purchased it around 50K miles.

I'm TECHNICALLY the second owner of mine...and by that, I mean, the original owner sold it to a flipper...or he just needed the money. He had it for less than a month. I paid $2,300-ish in 2016 with (then) ~199k miles

I'm taking good precautions on the cooling system...I replaced the entire cooling system last summer and I'm not losing any water anywhere; I check the coolant level before hitting a trail and I use a monitoring system via my phone. I'm hoping I don't have any issues any time soon ;)
I'm waiting for my blackstone labs report to come in the email. I was told it should be ready by Tuesday of next week.

Sounds like a plan, my worry is engine parts and blocks, are just becoming harder and harder to come by. So, Ive been stocking up some parts while I can get them. I also just put an LS in mine. The feasibility of rebuilding a LC vs a GM nowadays is dramatically different. Beautiful truck!

Wow...I haven't updated since May on my baselining...

Knuckle Rebuild - still pending, BUT, I did purchase new birfs via @cruiseroutfit a couple of weeks ago (arrived); I don't know if I have to replace them...I'm not hearing the standard "click" indicating they NEED to be replaced, BUT, since I'll be in there doing the knuckle rebuild (also all parts from @cruiseroutfit), I figured I might as well. If for no other reason than peace of mind...because who wants to rip the front end open again right after it's done?

PCV Valve and hoses - Purchased via Partsouq...they arrived 9/25 while I was in Leslie Gulch...this small task will be updated this next weekend.

OEM Battery Holder - Purchased via Partsouq...arrived arrived with the PCV Valve and Hoses

I added a Yakima rack (FREE) and Rhino Rack Sunseeker Awning (Costco $79) about a month ago as a creature comfort as well as a 5lb Flame King propane tank

I'm looking into replacing my brake master cylinder and booster as my brakes are super soft - might just be a bunch of air in the lines. I have never flushed the fluid out; I didn't know I needed to so that's now on my list of things to do.

Here's a most recent pic of me at the entrance of Leslie Gulch in Oregon.

1695853297603.png

On the PCV valve. the rubber grommet might fall apart and in.... be ready for that with some good tweezers.

For the brakes.... you should def flush, but you might actuate the abs while you do it and clean all that crap out of there too while you are flushing. I would do that before replacing anything as the ABS unit seems to get air trapped in it.

first time bleeding mine... the fluid came out green.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom