Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After pouring over 2 different manuals (chiltons, Max Ellerys) I think i have located the area in which the "Engine coolant temp sensor" or ECTS is located. well great now there are 4 or 5 different sensors in that area.

so my questions are:

1. which one is the ECTS

2. is there a difference between a coolant sensor and an Engine coolant temp sensor?

3. is there a gasket or crush washer thats supposed to go with it?

thank you all in advance!

RJ78

After pouring over 2 different manuals (chiltons, Max Ellerys) I think i have located the area in which the "Engine coolant temp sensor" or ECTS is located. well great now there are 4 or 5 different sensors in that area.

so my questions are:

1. which one is the ECTS

2. is there a difference between a coolant sensor and an Engine coolant temp sensor?

3. is there a gasket or crush washer thats supposed to go with it?

thank you all in advance!

RJ78[/QUOTE

Its a 1997 Landcruiser 1FZ-FE

Third from the front, top row.
Uses a 19mm wrench to change. It has a copper washer.
DSC_4684.jpg

that's what i thought, the sensor i got from autozone didn't come with any. the other ones i saw from O'Reilly's had a washer, but it was impossible to remove.

What makes you think it's bad?

check engine light came on, buddy has a code reader and it pulled the code. it spit out was something like "engine coolant temp sensor range. " P0116 i think is the code it pulled

would an empty coolant overflow res. cause that? the radiator seems full. someone at work said something about getting air out of the coolant system

If there is 2 separate sensors I'd guess one is for the ECU and the other is for the gauge on the dash. That's how my MR2 is

If you know anyone with a code reader that does any live data, the engine temp can be read straight from the computer. Then you will know what the actual value is coming from the sensor. Could be a bad sensor, or melted wire in the harness.

I changed the ETCS last week on my 97 LX. The sensor is a bitch to reach, heck I had a very hard time seeing it. I ended up taking off the drivers side wheel and one of the plastic flaps in the wheel well to reach the sensor. I used a 19 mm deep well socket on a universal with a 2' long extension and ratchet through the wheel well. For some reason I was not able to fit the deep well socket on the sensor. The plastic electrical connector part of the sensor was too large for my 19 mm socket so I ended up breaking off the plastic part so I could get the socket on. After that it came right out.
The new sensor did not come with a gasket so I reused the old copper washer from the old sensor. I installed the new sensor, refilled the radiator and reset the check engine light. So far it has stayed off.

If I want add a second temp gauge (one I can read) where would I connect it to?

Do a search on koso slim gauge. it works wonderfully. You cut the return hose on the radiator and install a sleeve with a port and instal the digital gauge there. Mount monitor where you want.

Reactions: den
thanks REKCUT...exactly what i was after...i can hear it now..(what did u need that for!)lol

thanks REKCUT...exactly what i was after...i can hear it now..(what did u need that for!)lol
:lol: Ya, I installed a Koso and have been happy with the results.

Reactions: den
I installed an UltraGauge.
It has to have OBDII to work though, so limited to some 95, and 96 and 97 trucks.
I have an alarm set so it beeps at temperatures over 200 degrees F.
And, it tells you what the computer is seeing so you know the health of your sending unit.

I consider it a well spent $70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom