1996 One owner 58k mile FJZ80 for 42,000?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rising tides raise all boats - 40 series, then 60 series, now 80 series (the new classic lc!).

Prices are going up, and we will all benefit!

Exactly my thoughts.

I heard someone say there's a quarter century "appreciation" cycle. People tend to gravitate toward vehicles, with passion, that made a strong impression on them in their teenage years. The 80 series is becoming ripe for a kick up in value so long as systemic events like a recession or rising gas prices don't interfere.

I'm actually a prime example of someone who grew up with an 80 and finally joined the fraternity in my adulthood. I passed up a lot of much more expensive new Toyota trucks to get into my '97 that required a ton of time, money and labor. Labor of love that is.

Not all 80s will enjoy the uptick. Most of these types of nostalgic buyers want clean, stock examples. Speaking for myself, when I was hunting, I didn't want any mods beyond a simple suspension lift. I wanted a pristine interior. Yes, I paid a premium, probably too much, but don't regret the purchase one bit.

Would I do it all over again? No. It's just too hard to find one in this condition and even this example will need a ton of OEM love to get it up to anal-retentive spec. 80s like this one puts you in a bit of a unique conundrum. It's really the oldest Land Cruiser I'd comfortably daily (I do now), yet you can't cya because the market has yet to catch up including insurance providers. They will only insure it as a classic car which limit annual miles severely (lame), likely not even cover true market value (because so few like examples exist), and require a private garage (urban life). There is a financial risk you must mitigate with your wallet.

Gotta pay to play, right?

YMMV
:D

Last edited:
42k is pocket change to some people.

True but those people also make more sound financial choices
True that! However, if 42k is chump change to you, then risk was never a worry and this guy may be rolling the dice with expectations of value appreciation as time passes. Jay Leno has a barn full of art on wheels.

Price is a bit high, but then again if you had a typical 20 year old 80 series
with 200k-300k miles on the clock with a few dings and rust here and there, some interior damage, dried out rubber (everywhere), worn out engine, gear boxes that needed rebuilding, etc,etc, and decided you wanted to bring it back to the same condition as the example above, you could easily pour $30,000+ into your 80.
I have.

Personally, i like to see the things go for crazy money. I don't view this Land Cruiser any different than any other collectible vehicle. Refer to any Porsche 911...
I currently own a '95 that can be sold for the same price i purchased 16 years ago. Thats after I've added 120k miles. And I pat myself on the back every time I'm reminded these things are desirable among people with cash to purchase such a thing.

^^^^^He gets it

Wow, that thing was Near Mint, AND unrestored. A gem to a purist. An unlocked, Emerald Green on gray was probably the most common 80 sold. Imagine if it were a locked 40th in Antique Sage!

Supra's are selling 100k-200k with ultra low miles

There was 40th with 37K miles recently for sale for around $40-45k I now wish I bought.

I think a good clean low mileage 80 is a better place to start. I paid up for that, but not $40k+. Glad I own two.

The problem with this is that now every bozo with a rusted clapped out 80 thinks that in mediocre shape with horrible maintenance they can ask 20k for it. It won't sell but is going to make the market obnoxious for anyone who wants to realistically get into an 80.

Same thing happens with subarus right now. Example - CLEAN 2.5RS (98-01) sell for anywhere from 5k to 20k. Guys see museum worthy cars sell for a bunch of money and then still think a rusty, beat up, abused car is worth 10k. Its not.

"I know what I have" is the typical s*** you see on those FS ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom