1996 One owner 58k mile FJZ80 for 42,000?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wow, This mint original owner 1996 FJZ80 went for 42 grand in ebay. I guess the ultra low mileage examples are going way up.

C0342639-B849-43F3-9597-5F720C1DE2DE.png

Direct link. I'm not that surprised. Me and a buddy had a bet about how high this would go. I said 43,500, he said 52,000. Gotta remember these vehicles were around 42,000 when new (67,000 adjusted for inflation today), and the market has spoken on how well clean, unmolested examples hold their value.

Yeah, it showed the original window sticker. It was triple locked with the gold package. The total
Price was 50,300 in 1996. I thought it might go for 30 grand but 42 grand. Wow.

Yeah, it showed the original window sticker. It was triple locked with the gold package. The total
Price was 50,300 in 1996. I thought it might go for 30 grand but 42 grand. Wow.

Hmm, don't see where it says it was triple locked. If it was, that's a huge miss on the seller's part, he makes no mention of that anywhere in the ad.

Hmm, don't see where it says it was triple locked. If it was, that's a huge miss on the seller's part, he makes no mention of that anywhere in the ad.
Pics show no lockers. I had the gold package. Baller.

Price is a bit high, but then again if you had a typical 20 year old 80 series
with 200k-300k miles on the clock with a few dings and rust here and there, some interior damage, dried out rubber (everywhere), worn out engine, gear boxes that needed rebuilding, etc,etc, and decided you wanted to bring it back to the same condition as the example above, you could easily pour $30,000+ into your 80.

I think it was for sale on Autotrader for low 30's by the original owner

Price is a bit high, but then again if you had a typical 20 year old 80 series
with 200k-300k miles on the clock with a few dings and rust here and there, some interior damage, dried out rubber (everywhere), worn out engine, gear boxes that needed rebuilding, etc,etc, and decided you wanted to bring it back to the same condition as the example above, you could easily pour $30,000+ into your 80.

True, however the funny part is that a 200k 80 if well kept isn't really worn out. I get the low mileage price premium to an extent but there's a point of seriously diminishing returns. For vehicles that are "used up" by 100k a price premium makes more sense for low miles.

Personally, i like to see the things go for crazy money. I don't view this Land Cruiser any different than any other collectible vehicle. Refer to any Porsche 911...
I currently own a '95 that can be sold for the same price i purchased 16 years ago. Thats after I've added 120k miles. And I pat myself on the back every time I'm reminded these things are desirable among people with cash to purchase such a thing.

I think it was for sale on Autotrader for low 30's by the original owner
I thought I saw it on cars.com for 14k from the original owner

Pics show no lockers. I had the gold package. Baller.

So, you are thinking it needs lockers to drive on the lawn at the Concours d'Elegance?

Agree our 80's aren't worn out at 200k, paid $5k last year for a lady driven rust-free 97 with a bit over 200K miles without lockers in very good condition, mostly needed the usual pm items. My locked 96, with 355k miles however is showing it's age a bit more but that's mostly the external cosmetics (paint) that need attention.

So, buy eight nice condition 80's with 200K miles, or one low mile example
for $40,000. Hmmm, I think I'll take the eight and start a business selling parts ;).

The floor price on the 80's just went up....

42k certainly seems high, but how often do you run into one with miles like that? It took me quite a while to find one with a reasonable price (though probably not seen as reasonable here) with south of 100k miles and in original shape.

Rising tides raise all boats - 40 series, then 60 series, now 80 series (the new classic lc!).

Used to have a Porsche 914 (42k miles, original paint, but again, a 914) that I bought for a song in 2010. Would have loved a 356, but they were already in the price stratosphere. I sold it for a nice return in 2013, then saw the buyer flip it on BAT for damn near a 100% return in 2017. The buyer had one in high school and wanted to relive his youth - same story with me and the land cruiser (wanted one, but did not have one though, in high school).

Prices are going up, and we will all benefit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom