100k mile fj80 1996…blown engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i’m 24 years old got this baby when I was 16 and had 30k miles on it. 1996 dark green fj80 that was immaculate. it’s been my everything for years and i’ve always taken care of it finally got an entire new exhaust have never had any major problems. kept flushing the ac system to get the best to work and never replaced heater core. minor is about 3 years ago driving on the beach my radiator blew up, got it towed home and luckily didn’t blow a gasket or anything. fast forward and I get a Camshaft position sensor error code, was planning to fix within a week and took a 3 hour trip to boston that weekend, checked oil before and was all good. almost in boston engines shaking at low rpm almost at a stop but temp didn’t shoot up. kept going as I was 20 min away and get the dreaded white smoke immediately pull over turn car off open hood see exploded radiator again. i’ve always gotten only toyota parts but get it towed and end up towing it home to my mechanic saying they took it off the truck and boom felt something engine shot not just the gaskets full rod or something not even sure if there’s a hole in the side of the block or what. wondering if that could be because I never fixed heater core? or some negligence on my end because this car doesn’t get driven too hard and it’s at 108k miles, i’m freaking out as I wanted to get a new daily and keep this forever but now dont know where to look as this may be a 10k problem and I dont know anyone local to trust with an engine rebuild if this one’s salvageable or where to find the best donor. i’m sure there’s so many forums i’m new to this site but to see an engine blow at 108k miles is scary as hell and i’m destroyed

IMG_2905.jpeg

1-proper diagnosis, still may be salvageable, if not you need to know anyway
2-asses costs of repair or replace options, new used engine may be the best option vs a rebuild
3-do the most you can yourself, either event, save money

Agree with the folks above, get a second opinion, figure out what is going on - it might be repairable, there is a member here that sells rebuilt engines that could be shipped to you, and if you do decide it isn't worth fixing please don't scrap or part out a clean 80 body - drop me a line, I'd love a clean body like that for my drivetrain.

An always taken care of 1FZFE ain't gonna blow up at 100K miles. I'd also get a second opinion to figure out what's up.

Good luck she's pretty.

Where are you in NY? I'm betting we could link you up with a club member who might be able to offer some insight for beer(s)...

An always taken care of 1FZFE ain't gonna blow up at 100K miles. I'd also get a second opinion to figure out what's up.

Good luck she's pretty.
been taking care of everything expecting it to make it to at least 250, disheartening to say the least

hey guys i’m 24 years old got this baby when I was 16 and had 30k miles on it. 1996 dark green fj80 that was immaculate. it’s been my everything for years and i’ve always taken care of it finally got an entire new exhaust have never had any major problems. kept flushing the ac system to get the best to work and never replaced heater core. minor is about 3 years ago driving on the beach my radiator blew up, got it towed home and luckily didn’t blow a gasket or anything. fast forward and I get a Camshaft position sensor error code, was planning to fix within a week and took a 3 hour trip to boston that weekend, checked oil before and was all good. almost in boston engines shaking at low rpm almost at a stop but temp didn’t shoot up. kept going as I was 20 min away and get the dreaded white smoke immediately pull over turn car off open hood see exploded radiator again. i’ve always gotten only toyota parts but get it towed and end up towing it home to my mechanic saying they took it off the truck and boom felt something engine shot not just the gaskets full rod or something not even sure if there’s a hole in the side of the block or what. wondering if that could be because I never fixed heater core? or some negligence on my end because this car doesn’t get driven too hard and it’s at 108k miles, i’m freaking out as I wanted to get a new daily and keep this forever but now dont know where to look as this may be a 10k problem and I dont know anyone local to trust with an engine rebuild if this one’s salvageable or where to find the best donor. i’m sure there’s so many forums i’m new to this site but to see an engine blow at 108k miles is scary as hell and i’m destroyed

View attachment 3513438
to further add can anyone recommend anyone good on long island to get a second opinion on this?

View attachment 3513438

View attachment 3513438
follow up with mechanic, will attach pic and video of trying to turn over. milky dip stick hundred percent coolant in engine in screwed, at least a thrown rod not sure if worth taking engine appart and seeing if the block is cracked or not

Take a breath, get it back to your house and start looking into what your options are.

The cruiser looks super clean and is definitely worth fixing, it just might take some time and money to get it done correctly.

Take a breath, get it back to your house and start looking into what your options are.

The cruiser looks super clean and is definitely worth fixing, it just might take some time and money to get it done correctly.

IMG_6516.jpeg

IMG_6517.jpeg

IMG_6518.jpeg

Thrown rod is a whole other problem than a spun bearing. If your mech can't tell you which has happened...you need to find another shop.

As already suggested, get active in the NY clubhouses. Someone up there will help you out.

Thrown rod is a whole other problem than a spun bearing. If your mech can't tell you which has happened...you need to find another shop.

As already suggested, get active in the NY clubhouses. Someone up there will help you out.
not sure how to attach a vid, car isn’t even turning over. either thrown rod or cracked block and he hasn’t takin the engine apart, debating if it’s worth spending the money to even take that route as opposed to buy a redone engine, never said spun bearing

Sounds like the HG blew and pressurized the coolant system. Sorry to hear that's a nice one. I'd check around for a new OEM short block and someone to handle the rebuild and getting your cylinder head decked and rebuilt. It's not worth attempting a rebuild of your current bottom end unless you can DIY.

not sure how to attach a vid, car isn’t even turning over. either thrown rod or cracked block and he hasn’t takin the engine apart, debating if it’s worth spending the money to even take that route as opposed to buy a redone engine, never said spun bearing

It could also be hydro locked. Easily checked by pulling the plugs. Sounds like you need to find other help.

Can do a 100% rebuild on that one for ~5-6k around here, and another 2k-ish to do the engine replacement - forgoing any other repairs. Unsure what your labor rates are. If the interior and frame look as good as that paint, it'd be a disservice to do anything but a full refresh if coolant got in the bottom end.

Last edited:
It could also be hydro locked. Easily checked by pulling the plugs. Sounds like you need to find other help.

Can do a 100% rebuild on that one for ~5-6k around here, and another 2k-ish to do the engine replacement - forgoing any other repairs. Unsure what your labor rates are. If the interior and frame look as good as that paint, it'd be a disservice to do anything but a full refresh if coolant got in the bottom end.
it’s easily hydro locked, mechanic I trust with my life but it’s not on him for a full engine rebuild, not sure who to trust on long island for a rebuild tbh labor rates are crazy high for anyone reputable and i’m still not sure if the block is salvageable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom