Builds 1994 HZJ73 Wine Red Flex Dream (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like my 77 when I got it. 50MM spring lift plus another 50MM from extended shackles. The extendo shackles really made the caster shims necessary. Think one could get by with 50MM or less spring lift and no shims if eliminating the big ol' shackles.

IMG_9646.JPG

Bolt on sliders were a success!! I used rollcage/chassis paint. We shall see how it holds up. It’s been damn cold here and it might take awhile to fully cure even with a heat gun and patience. I also put a strip of grip tape on them.

I had to remove the giant resonator to get them bolted up and I’m temporarily using flex pipe until I weld in a piece in its place.

IMG_8480.jpeg

IMG_8478.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpeg
IMG_8479.jpeg

I installed MRR’s on the front. I’m not sure how they would compare to the IMS’s or OME, but compared to the off the shelf Rancho’s that were on it they are night and day. I can’t wait to save up a few bucks and get a set for the rear now. I can definitely tell the difference with the bumps in the front vs. the rear.

IMG_8493.jpeg
IMG_8494.jpeg
IMG_8491.jpeg

Looks like you could use some new links as well, based off the first pic. I keep seeing Dobinson shocks praised and wonder if there is much of a difference between them and OME. Anything to add a little comfort to a fully leaf-sprung ride would be worth it...

Looks like you could use some new links as well, based off the first pic. I keep seeing Dobinson shocks praised and wonder if there is much of a difference between them and OME. Anything to add a little comfort to a fully leaf-sprung ride would be worth it...
I was actually thinking about removing that front sway bar and seeing how it handles. Maybe bump up the low speed compression for the street, hmmmm.

Since the installation of the MRR’s I have driven it without the sway bars. It seems to take corners no worse, maybe a little more body roll. I do try to remember to adjust my speed more than before. My Ute probably has a higher center of gravity than your rig, but I also have two fuel tanks so when full that probably helps with lowering the center of gravity some.

Though no personal experience…these are a much better shock than your standard OME/dobinsons shock.

These are rebuildable as well.

I'll consider it on the nice-to-have list then!

Yes OME standard are good shocks.

Some bilstein/fox would be considered better.

Dobinson IMS/MRR would be a level up.

As with a lot of things you have different levels of $$$/quality you can get.

IMO, I would not spend anymore than the dobinson ims/mmr level shocks or whatever the brand, on a daily driven leaf spring rig. Unless you have money to launder through a cruiser, lead spring only ride so good.

We gots MRR’s on the back now too. Danggg, this is a smooooooth ride now. I have the low and high speed compressions set a little higher than the Dobinsons quick reference guide due to all the extra weight she is hauling of course. What I find odd is that I have the rebound set much slower than the recommendation. It was just way too bouncy on hard hits on the highway. Now that I have that slowed down quite a bit it is damn smooth and feels very planted. All the knobs and correct settings make all the difference. I can honestly say that I can confidently and comfortably drive down the highway at 75mph for the first time (yes, it’s actually possible to drive that fast with the HZJ).

I will probably lower the slow speed compression by 2 clicks when off roading and it should do great.

I cross axled the Cruiser in the garage a bit just to make sure we have clearance for all the reservoirs. We are good to go. The front right is at full droop in the pic below and the rear has quite a bit of up travel to go yet. She should do pretty damn good off-road :)

IMG_8511.jpeg
IMG_8512.jpeg
IMG_8513.jpeg
IMG_8515.jpeg
IMG_8516.jpeg

Last edited:
Is something leaking ? looks like fresh oil on the shocks and rear axle housing. First and second picture.

I am coming from some REALLY crappy Rancho shocks. They had almost no dampening. The MMR’s were nothing to brag about until I got them dialed in.

Really the only thing I would like to improve on my setup is the jarring pothole/cracks type of bumps. Everything else is smooth sailing and rides pretty dang good. The bilsteins were a huge upgrade over my previous shocks.

I suppose that’s why you have all those adjustments to dial it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom