Builds 1994 HZJ73 Wine Red Flex Dream (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I had to do it all over again (and had extra cash to spend) I’d get one of those wide angle bat-wing type awnings though that would also over the rear of the vehicle.

I've considered that style, but I haven't shopped for one yet. I was just going to go straight off the rear with an Eezi-Awn, but I do like the idea of extra shade on the sides.

Do you know of a batwing that'll fit our racks, off the top of your head?

Anyone need an ultra awesome off-road bike carrier? I bought this a few years ago from Ex-Tech in Germany when I was living in Europe. I paid $1100 (seriously). It’s aluminum and very high quality. It’s in great condition. It was designed specifically for Defenders and mounted on the spare tire carrier via studs extensions (I’m currently missing the stud extensions and the bolt pattern is different than Toyotas), but there’s some handy ppl on this forum and anyone could make this work on a heavy duty tire carrier. I’m moving and just frankly want it out of my storage unit. $300 picked up in Jacksonville, FL.

IMG_7597.jpeg

IMG_7592.jpeg

IMG_7593.jpeg

IMG_7594.jpeg

IMG_7595.jpeg

Anyone need an ultra awesome off-road bike carrier?

Yep, but I'm literally in the exact wrong corner of the country. I could definitely make that work on a 73...but, getting it to the PNW is probably gonna cost less than ordering a new one from Germany. Ten minutes with a mill could probably make an adapter plate. 🤬

Yep, but I'm literally in the exact wrong corner of the country. I could definitely make that work on a 73...but, getting it to the PNW is probably gonna cost less than ordering a new one from Germany. Ten minutes with a mill could probably make an adapter plate. 🤬
Maybe I'll take it to Indy with me and hold on to it until someone here can take advantage of it. Its such a nice piece of equipment.

I finally got around to putting on some 1.5 inch wheel spacers that I bought a couple months ago. I love the stance and I hope it will help when wheeling off camber. I unfortunately had to remove my front mud flaps due to rubbing when turning.

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_7901.jpeg

First test drive was premium. No shaking, etc. I’ve very happy with them. I’ll take the wheels off and double check the nuts in 50 or so miles. I’ll definitely need to think of some ideas for flares that don’t require drilling. I would love to get OEM flares eventually, but the funds won’t allow that any time soon. I might do the EZ flares for a bit.

Last edited:
Great looking 73 series!
My HZJ79 came with some really low profile front fender mud flaps that might fit your needs.
I don't have a part number for you, but if you look up a 1999-2007 HZJ79, you should be able to find them.
Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 16.23.03.png

Great looking 73 series!
My HZJ79 came with some really low profile front fender mud flaps that might fit your needs.
I don't have a part number for you, but if you look up a 1999-2007 HZJ79, you should be able to find them.
View attachment 3520899
Thank you for sharing. That might just work. I do want to run mudflaps just to help keep things more clean.

I’ve also thought about moving the axle forward too….. hmmmm

Hello,

Move the axle forward 1 inch or 25-30 millimeters and do not look back.

Juan

Is there anything more to it then just drilling the two holes in the axle housing and sliding it forward after taking the center pin and u-bolts off?
Hello,

Not really.

Disassemble the center pin and U-bolts. Drill the holes in the axle perch. Move the axle forward. Reassemble.

This setup enables you to run 33 in./35 in. tires.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom