1994 80 Series Speaker Size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

twalker9480

SILVER Star
Threads
Ive already done some extensive searching and i cant find anything.

I have a 1994 and im looking to upgrade my sound system. Im just curious about the size of speaker that can fit in the front and back doors without damaging the visible panel. And i am fine with spacing the speaker if its too deep. Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried Crutchfield? They've got a pretty solid handle on what fits where.

Have you tried Crutchfield? They've got a pretty solid handle on what fits where.
Yeah, but according to them nothing bigger than a 5 1/4" fits. But on other websites ive seen 6 1/2 or 6 3/4, no one seems to agree.:bang:

Go to a local audio store with the door cards out and see what fits?

I'm not really any more help than that because I'm not really an audiophile; I prefer to listen to the screams of my passengers.

I just did this in my 94. 6 1/2" will fit in the front door panels, but 5 1/4" is the largest the rear door panel cutouts will accept. That applies to all four doors without modifications. You can get 6 1/2" speakers in the rear doors, if you're wiling to cut both the sheet metal and door trim (panel). Depth is a concern for the front speakers, because of the clearance between the dash pad lower corners and the door trim.

I didn't see any potential conflicts with the window hardware, which I expected prior to the job.

There is no depth clearance problem in the rear doors, that I'm aware of. Of course, I haven't verified this with every possible speaker, but it's a starting point.

FWIW, I had a 94 years ago with a different setup. The PO had installed Jensen separates, IIRC, 1 3/4" tweeters in the front doors, near the upper front edge, and 5 1/4" mid/woofers in the doors. It sounded nice, but I never really liked those tweeters in my field of vision, plus they stuck out about an inch over the trim panel.

Another easy option is to find 2 pairs of shallow mount 6.5" speakers that come with full face front speaker grilles, then just buy some Rustoleum Textured Bronze spray paint and give the new speaker covers a couple coats of paint so that they match the existing brown interior panel color. That way you don't have to cut anything up and don't have obvious aftermarket black speakers mounted on your doors. 6.5" speakers will fit fine on front & back doors if mounted on the door panel itself.

Last edited:
Ive already done some extensive searching and i cant find anything.

I have a 1994 and im looking to upgrade my sound system. Im just curious about the size of speaker that can fit in the front and back doors without damaging the visible panel. And i am fine with spacing the speaker if its too deep. Any help is appreciated.

I don't believe you searched and couldn't find anything.

One important thing to remember when replacing speakers in an 80 series is that it's not just the mounting depth that is compromised. If you're intending on reusing the stock speaker covers, you need to make sure to the front portion of the speaker doesn't extend far, if at all, beyond the front face of the speaker housing. I had this problem with the 3.5" speakers in the rear cargo area, the 3.5"/4" speakers at the lower part of the front dash, and when trying to reuse the factory speaker covers for the front 6.5" speakers I installed. Same issue if you try to get universal speaker covers to paint rather than using the grilles that came with the new speakers.

Again, it ended up being much easier to just mount 6.5" speakers in front & middle doors and paint the speaker covers to match the door panel/insert than to try shoehorning mass produced speakers into such untraditional speaker housing dimensions. Too many compromises otherwise that just aren't worth it to keep an OEM look that no one will notice anyway since the new speaker grilles are painted. In the end I replaced 8 speakers with 8 new 3-way / 4-way speakers - major difference replacing the factory 2 watt rated 3.25" paper speakers with 50watt rms rated 4" speakers. Just trash the factory 6" 'sub' in the back passenger side panel - it's junk. An easy fix for more bass is the 10" Cerwin Vega self powered subwoofer - with some coaxing it'll fit under the driver's seat or you can just mount it where the old 6" sub was (model VPAS10).

I went with a sony single din that has powered sub amps, and I put a powered sub in the back. Sounds pretty dope. I made the pioneer TS-G1645R's fit in front/rear, and I put new tweeters in as well (in the upper back).

It was like $100 for the head $100 for the sub $150-ish(?) for all the speakers. Redic good sound.

I did the single din so I could put a CB in the other.

As far as mounting the speakers, I just got pulled the old ones out (with the grills) and swapped in the new pioneers, just connecting the wires. The pioneer grills look good.

I just finished mine. 6.5 with 2.5" back spacing will fit with a 1/2" mdf spacer. I did have to cut the door panel for the magnet to slide through. Going to end up wrapping the spacers to match the door.. but here are some pictures..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom