For Sale 1990 FJ62 - Freeborn Red- 57k Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(229, 14, 14)
Outside Link
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-toyota-land-cruiser-fj62-29/
My listing just went live on bringatrailer. All the details are there with 450 pictures and a video

Hope posting this here isn’t out of bounds...if so please let me know and I will remove.

57k-Mile 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62

Thanks again to RustyNailJustin for helping with the speaker grill project. Your grill is still on my desk. I promise to get it in the mail tomorrow and you get the first set of replacements when I get them printed. Our new printer is ordered and on the way from Europe.

That ad alone is worth a couple thousand. Man a lot of work there .

Thanks. You are right about that. It was A LOT of work, but I thought a truck like this deserved the extra effort.

It definitely resets the top end of the market and it was cool to be a part of it.

My listing just went live on bringatrailer. All the details are there with 450 pictures and a video

Hope posting this here isn’t out of bounds...if so please let me know and I will remove.

57k-Mile 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62absolutely beautiful truck and congratulations on the sale. I’m curious to know if it’s original paint. Apply if I mist this in the description. Thanks.

Thanks again to RustyNailJustin for helping with the speaker grill project. Your grill is still on my desk. I promise to get it in the mail tomorrow and you get the first set of replacements when I get them printed. Our new printer is ordered and on the way from Europe.

Well you should feel pretty good with that BAT result. You've earned your spot with the highest priced 60 series to sell on BAT by a solid $11,500. The 2nd place going to a 58K mile Freeborn red FJ60. I see a theme here...

i wonder how hard it is to artificially inflate a price on BAT

i wonder how hard it is to artificially inflate a price on BAT

First off, I can assure this wasn’t phony. The cashiers check for $66.5k arrived yesterday morning via UPS Saturday delivery and the vehicle ships out this week. I’ll post a picture of it being loaded into the truck. As a guy with a garage of 90’s era German cars and classic Datsun’s, I had nothing to gain by inflating a number. I only had one thing in mind...represent the vehicle to the best of my ability and let the auction run it’s course.

That said, any auction is easy to run up BUT the beauty of bringatrailer is that your credit card is held for the 5% buyers fee the moment you put in any bid....even if it’s a $10k nonsense, no chance, bid on a $200k Ferrari. (it gets lifted when someone outbids you). At the moment the auction ends, BaT processes the charge so shill bidders who get caught as high bidder pay 5%. $3325 in this case...and BaT flat out doesn’t give this money back. I’m sure it happens, but that’s a lot of money to be out and then your still stuck with the vehicle and everyone can see you still own it when you try to sale it elsewhere...which erodes trust, and indirectly devalues the vehicle. I certainly wouldn’t buy a car from someone who plays games like that. It’s why I haven’t been on eBay motors in years...it’s the Wild West over there.

Sure there are others ways like striking a backroom deal and then run it up with the true transaction price agreed upon earlier. I guess it’s probably done, as people pull all sorts of stunts. But with truly good, market setting vehicles, why would you sell it before the auction ends? That’s why you go to auction.

Of particular note to this auction, the eventual winner of the vehicle actually contacted me via Instagram to try to purchase it when he saw my teaser posts a few days before the auction even went live. I declined to even discuss a price or even listen to an offer and he totally respected that. We ended up building a good rapport throughout the week, which also helped his confidence and the bids reflected it. I didn’t give a number to him because I didn’t want any expectation of cost put out there, as I hoped it was a market topper. Truth told if I would’ve given him an “ok, you can have it if you give me this” number, it would’ve been less than the eventual sell price. Our pre auction hopes were $55-57k on the high end and the reserve was $42k for what it’s worth. Why the low reserve? Well BaT tells you what they will give you if you want to list the vehicle with them, then it’s a negotiation from there. The owner was fully committed to selling, it was the right time in his life and he bought it 15yrs ago so it’s not like he needed a certain price out of it (I won’t tell you what he paid ;)). As the week went on I did become optimistic for more as the comments and reactions were so positive but I still can hardly believe the final result to be honest. It was a lot of hard work to present the vehicle in such detail but the vehicle deserved extra effort and thought.

Anyway, I’m not actually sure if the initial question was a veiled accusation or not but this wasn’t meant as a defensive rant, hopefully it wasn’t read that way. Just generally, and specifically answering your question, as well as giving a bit more info on the auction.

All the best to everyone. Enjoy your 60’s and 62’s safely.

To @adamike, congratulations. The vehicle is worth every penny. I had fun reading, following and watching your post on BAT. Your detail, pictures and answers in there were amazing and i did learn a lot from it.

Now, what's next after letting this one go??

Last edited:
To @adamike, congratulations. The vehicle is worth every penny. I had fun reading, following and watching your post on BAT. Your detail, pictures and answers in there were amazing and i did learn a lot from it.

Now, what's next after letting this one go??

Thanks.

The owner recently retired and I doubt he will be buying anything to replace it...he never used it anyway. 600mi in last 15yrs o_O

I will be stashing my commission away in my fun car fund. Likely towards an 06-08 Porsche Cayman S.

If there are an Z car folks in here...my next sale will be a 17k mile 260Z

I will be stashing my commission away in my fun car fund. Likely towards an 06-08 Porsche Cayman S.

Nice, i should start looking for some trucks to roll some odometers back on too!

I bought one car off of BAT back in fall of 2015....which was pretty early in the existence of BAT auctions. I wish I had known the whole situation behind the car prior to it showing up on BAT because it was bought by a flipper and I knew the original owner and would have surely given them more than the flipper did. Still I managed to save it and $3000 was a steal of a price given it has a rare racing transmission and gear set + Limited slip diff as well as an engine built worth more than the winning bid. I also filled my sprinter with boxes of parts and wheels when I picked it up...so probably about $10,000 worth of car and parts.

1588978868877.png

Nice, i should start looking for some trucks to roll some odometers back on too!

Ok cruisermatt, that’s now (2) accusations against my character and ethics. I’d respectfully ask you to stop there. What’s next? I drove it cross country and back in reverse to take miles off of it.

I’ll stop short of calling you out for what you are, as you’re already doing a pretty good job of embarrassing yourself. It’s actually a shame a “silver star” member of this community acts out like this to tarnish someone and something he has no knowledge about. Go back to the kids table bud.

The vehicle is exactly what it was represented as....nothing more, and certainly nothing less. It’s off to Missouri in its own trailer.

I’m the losing bidder on this truck. Wasn’t anything phony about my bidding. I’m still sick about losing out. And to see it being loaded up and not heading out to me 😠. Damn I wanted that thing.

Thanks.

The owner recently retired and I doubt he will be buying anything to replace it...he never used it anyway. 600mi in last 15yrs o_O

If there are an Z car folks in here...my next sale will be a 17k mile 260Z

PM sent about your Z!!

Ok cruisermatt, that’s now (2) accusations against my character and ethics. I’d respectfully ask you to stop there. What’s next? I drove it cross country and back in reverse to take miles off of it.

I’ll stop short of calling you out for what you are, as you’re already doing a pretty good job of embarrassing yourself. It’s actually a shame a “silver star” member of this community acts out like this to tarnish someone and something he has no knowledge about. Go back to the kids table bud.

The vehicle is exactly what it was represented as....nothing more, and certainly nothing less. It’s off to Missouri in its own trailer.

I agree with you on this.
Mud is becoming facebook and lowering member standards. Is kinda sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom