Builds 1990 4Runner Build/Rescue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holler at me when the 3.4 is in and sorted out. I’ll fly out and drive it home! 😉

Just found this thread.

Will be using as motivation, ha.

Great looking rig you got there! One thing to check on the brakes with the 2nd gen 4Runners is the adjustment of the rear drum brakes. The brake shoes have a mechanism that auto adjusts the clearance with respect to the drum. I have found that to get that adjustment mechanism to do its thing, you have to get the vehicle rolling in reverse and then pull the parking brake. Repeat this process several times and see if you get an improvement in braking. Another item to look out for with 2nd gen 4Runner brakes that are not working well, is oiled down rear brake drums. If one of the rear axle bearings goes out it, it will oil down the brake drum and shoes. Rear axle bearings failures are a pretty common in these trucks from my experience. Best of luck

Great looking rig you got there! One thing to check on the brakes with the 2nd gen 4Runners is the adjustment of the rear drum brakes. The brake shoes have a mechanism that auto adjusts the clearance with respect to the drum. I have found that to get that adjustment mechanism to do its thing, you have to get the vehicle rolling in reverse and then pull the parking brake. Repeat this process several times and see if you get an improvement in braking. Another item to look out for with 2nd gen 4Runner brakes that are not working well, is oiled down rear brake drums. If one of the rear axle bearings goes out it, it will oil down the brake drum and shoes. Rear axle bearings failures are a pretty common in these trucks from my experience. Best of luck
Thank you for the knowledge! We haven't tried the parking brake trick, but we did have the drums and shoes out when we replaced the wheel cylinders. Everything looked good while we were in there.

We'll try the parking brake trick and see what happens!

Things are happening...

C15oeJ.jpg

XTOrMg.jpg

Get it all buttoned up?

Not yet, waiting on the harness from Off Road Solutions to be made. Have bought just about everything else to do the swap. Originally ordered the harness from Toy Only Swaps but unfortunately they are not making harnesses at this time so kind of put a damper on things.

Well looks like you've given all your love to the 3rd gen, no 2nd gen updates.
Seen a few 2nd gens in the past week, still missing mine even though it never ran

Been giving the 3rd gen a TON of love but the 2nd gen is moving along!

We've pretty much got everything to do the 3.4 swap now. We're going to do a timing belt, valve cover gaskets & head gaskets (maybe) on the donor engine before slapping it in.

Been giving the 3rd gen a TON of love but the 2nd gen is moving along!

We've pretty much got everything to do the 3.4 swap now. We're going to do a timing belt, valve cover gaskets & head gaskets (maybe) on the donor engine before slapping it in.
Im the last 3 posts in the past 6 months. Think I forgot about this?
have you sold this for scrap yet 🤗

Im the last 3 posts in the past 6 months. Think I forgot about this?
have you sold this for scrap yet 🤗

Lol you're persistence is a great motivator for me! We've both been busy, he just welcomed a son so yeah it's been on the back burner again.

One day I swear....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom