Builds 1990 4Runner Build/Rescue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yo glad to see you making progress.
I put my t4r in fbmp and everyone is trying to give me scrap $$ for it, so I’m seriously considering keeping it and doing a v8 swap.
Got a 100 that needs some love and a wife that’s due any day, so it seems like the sane thing to do right?
Keep the pics coming !!

Got a 100 that needs some love and a wife that’s due any day, so it seems like the sane thing to do right?

I have a buddy who used his 1st house down payment to buy a race car a week before closing. He is somehow still happily married 20+ years later... I say go for it!

Yo glad to see you making progress.
I put my t4r in fbmp and everyone is trying to give me scrap $$ for it, so I’m seriously considering keeping it and doing a v8 swap.
Keep the pics coming !!

I don't know about the V8 swaps - they've been done before but tbh if I were you I'd either just do a 3.4L or just find a used 3VZE for like $300-400 and just swap it in.

Get it running first, then get it right!

I don't know about the V8 swaps - they've been done before but tbh if I were you I'd either just do a 3.4L or just find a used 3VZE for like $300-400 and just swap it in.

Get it running first, then get it right!
Yeah I’m kinda humoring myself with the v8. There is a few people on fbmp that part out 4runners and Toyota pickups. Thinking about putting aside little under a g and going to get everything I need- interior, engine, bumpers, etc etc

Enough about me though. Any plans for the inside? Drawers, cargo cage, seats?

No plans on the inside other than just to get all the spiderwebs out and get everything working! Maybe some drawers down the road, but this thing will be more of a wheeler than an overlander.

OK what else have you done besides fix taht fuel issue you posted about on Tuesday. I gotta live vicariously!

Well I'm starting to move on things! Fuel issue was fixed, my dumb ass swapped the fuel return line with the power steering air valve line. Whoops. Truck is running great now. Going to throw some SeaFoam in the tank once I get it driving.

Got a new (used) hood for it, and yesterday fixed the back window & tailgate latch. Also replaced all the headlight hardware since they were all screwed up and the headlights were all over the place.

I plan on changing the oil & adding coolant to it today. I need to replace the clutch master cylinder & bleed the system. I've ordered new tires for it as the two on the passenger side have gone flat. :bang:

I did notice that the upper radiator support is seriously bent. I'm not sure if this thing was in an accident in the past or what. The truck looks too straight to have been in one so I'm a little confused - but the new hood will not close as the latch is in the wrong spot and is messed up. I got a new latch so I'm going to bend the core support back into place and see if I can get that fixed.

Got new tires today - Cooper Evolution MT's. Was very happy with the price and they seem like good tires. I fixed the upper core support by making a million bends and threw the new latch on. The new hood fits pretty well after I made a few adjustments to the hinges. It works for now.

I bled the clutch master cylinder and was happy to get the pressure back. Tested the clutch when it was on jackstands and had all 5 gears.

So, with new tires & a clutch I took it for it's first little test drive around the block a couple times. It's.......a little sketchy. I got some death wobble after hitting a bump and after getting home found that the u-bolts were finger tight. Also - the brakes need some serious work. I'm going to bleed them again and see if that helps.

On the bright side though - the 3VZE seems to have plenty of power and the locker in the rear definitely is there - so that's great news!

A little more tinkering and cleaning and I think it'll be ready for the trails soon!

T7Dgeh.jpg

R4XJEg.jpg

EiBFdX.jpg

Last edited:
Man that thing cleaned up great. Good score!

Thanks man! I'm pretty happy with it. It did get some wax on it today and I gotta say, it cleaned up REALLY well.

Ygd5gX.jpg

YzxEyg.jpg

Well?
The more I look at it the more I wish I had the capabilities to do an sas swap

Well honestly I haven't had much time to go out and work on it! On Easter Sunday my brothers upper ball joint went on his Tacoma. We've been going through that and re-building the whole front end.

We did install a new brake master cylinder & are currently waiting on tie rod ends and speed bleeders so we can properly bleed the brakes. I think after that she will be ready to go!

And SAS really aren't too difficult. All you really need is to find a really good welder to weld the front leaf spring mount and burn in the hole for the rear shackle. (if you can't weld) You can even have that done while the IFS is still on it.

Good to know. Honestly something similar to yours would be ideal. Noone wants to give me more than $200 for the truck so I might as well keep it...scored a free engine lift over the weekend so that really helps, just need to find a motor.

Edit to add that I would love to learn how to weld for this very reason, I just don't have time right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom