Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some of you may have seen this in chat, but for those of you that don’t venture there…

I hate thieves!!!

So Thursday night/Friday morning we got hit by some low life’s. Went through our horse trailer, enclosed trailer (only furniture so jokes on you) vehicles and shop.

They took some good stuff and some really cheap stuff.
Brand new 20v Dewalt 1/2” impact wrench/battery/case :mad: $400!
870 express youth 20 guage shotgun :mad:
4 pellet/bb guns
Harbor freight angle grinder 15yrs old :rolleyes:
Circular saw 20yrs old (blade was worth more!)
Just the pump to the mighty-vac kit (wtf)
A ball joint in a box (looks like ammo box???)

And to p1ss me off, my new harbor freight tranny jack I’ve had out of box for all of 1 day. It’s only $129…but come on.

And i just found out today…the piece de resistance…my BJ74 clutch kit. Those MFers stole my clutch kit I just got from @cruiseroutfit like a week ago on may 25th!

A2F17C6D-B0BB-4605-A0DD-3C8A8D02850F.gif

What in the wide world of rundown trailer house meth lab even makes you think to take a clutch kit?!! WTAF!

They also left some Milwaukee tools that didn’t have the battery intact. Plus a dewalt compact mitre saw, a few thousand in mountain bikes and 3 vehicles with keys on them. 3 bows and arrows, a big copper roll of tubing, $1000 festool setup…

So I spent the weekend installing security cameras all over, locks and security motion lights.

Everything has “only” added up to around $1500ish and my homeowners deductible is $1400 so it’s not even worth the claim on insurance. :mad:

So yeah pretty upset about the whole ordeal. Ran in at lunch 30mins to get the replacement jack and got home and decided to get the clutch kit ready to install tonight and noticed it’s gone. What an insult to injury….

So enough whining, I’ll get my clutch ordered again and just start later this week.

Here’s my artistic photo of the post from the back of our property….

1E18EB2E-6187-414C-96D1-3C6138DD6277.jpeg

id be waiting for the imminent return.....with some trip wire alarms and a shotgun full of rocksalt

id be waiting for the imminent return.....with some trip wire alarms and a shotgun full of rocksalt
Rock salt, really? I'd be waiting with double ought in the 870's twin.

Sorry you had to experience that Ben. It sucks and is such a violation. I hate thieves too and they don't deserve the BS court system.

Rock salt, really? I'd be waiting with double ought in the 870's twin.

Sorry you had to experience that Ben. It sucks and is such a violation. I hate thieves too and they don't deserve the BS court system.
ya, well not something id be posting up........
'they came right at me' 😆

Yeah things are in place. I’ve got plenty of magazines….to read. :cool:

The good news is @PabloCruise did me a huge solid and stopped by cruiser outfitters Friday and picked up a transmission mount last week to bring home. It’s good to have great cruiser friends 15 minutes from you.

The bad news is I didn’t notice the clutch was stolen Friday morning so he wasn’t able to grab that and bring it home.

Such is life.

Yeah things are in place. I’ve got plenty of magazines….to read. :cool:

The good news is @PabloCruise did me a huge solid and stopped by cruiser outfitters Friday and picked up a transmission mount last week to bring home. It’s good to have great cruiser friends 15 minutes from you.

The bad news is I didn’t notice the clutch was stolen Friday morning so he wasn’t able to grab that and bring it home.

Such is life.
Ben, I really hate this happened to you... sheesh! I hate it when that happens, and yes, it has happened to me at some point too, so I understand the frustration. I try to get to a place where I can let it go, and comfort myself with the thought that what goes around, comes around, and they will get theirs at some point.

Then I go help someone else out of the blue, completely surprise them, and that usually does the rest of the trick to get me there. Maybe it is to show myself that good old fashioned human decency is still out there too, not sure. I suppose you have @PabloCruise for that! lol.

Ben, I really hate this happened to you... sheesh! I hate it when that happens, and yes, it has happened to me at some point too, so I understand the frustration. I try to get to a place where I can let it go, and comfort myself with the thought that what goes around, comes around, and they will get theirs at some point.

Then I go help someone else out of the blue, completely surprise them, and that usually does the rest of the trick to get me there. Maybe it is to show myself that good old fashioned human decency is still out there too, not sure. I suppose you have @PabloCruise for that! lol.

Yeah, it sucks for sure. But thievery is the second oldest profession next to “gentleman services” and well I don’t partake in either 😂

@PabloCruise has helped many times! Think
We are headed for beers/hangout this weekend with our better halves.

Thanks again to @cruiseroutfit who game me a little discount on the clutch kit I ordered today. They absolutely didn’t have too. Kudos to them.

I will try to attack this soon to lessen the chance of it getting stolen lol

Well quick update, cruiser outfitters is out of stock :D (This is the way lately…) they called right away and let me know so that was cool.

Now I’m trying to decide to wait, or to pull it, fix the seal, check the clutch and decide from there.

The only modicum of hope is that when it sits overnight the clutch doesn’t slip at all until you get down the road 10 miles and it starts slipping in 4th/5th if you push it as it’s leaking.

Looking at other sources now. I’ve found the clutch disk seperate and the pressure plate so I might just order those if they truly have them in stock.

FWIW I've had an Exedy Safari Tuff clutch in my 74 for 10 years now and been quite happy with it. Don't know if it'd be any easier to source than a factory unit, but a possible option.

Not many updates, just basketball basketball basketball for my son, oh and the ever eternal house remodel. The kitchen is getting closer to done…

We did go to the local cars and coffee to catch the end of it. On the way back we stopped by an ace hardware. Always good to see this in the parking lot.

68149AB2-C6DD-406E-A97B-ED4F3ADEB2DE.jpeg

@Laughingjackal awesome SOA/37s 4bd1t swapped 60. Sounds like a UPS truck convention when we both take off.

This would be the truck that pushed @theglobb over the edge to go the 4bd1t route.

13BT power numbers. It appears to appropriately size the system/nozzles you need some info. Ive read many different ways of sizing and people sell them by different measurements…

13BT - 120hp at the flywheel. At least that’s what they tell us new/stock is.

I’ve found 2 dynos from people with 13BTs. The bad isnthat neither was stock or in a BJ74. 😂

@OilHammer 13bt is basically stock, but has a ct26 with wastegate pinched for 12psi and front intercooled. He’s at 5280’ altitude, on 33s and got 98hp to the wheels in his 40. In my bad math he would be around 140crank HP giving 30% drivetrain loss. Could be closer to 125 crank HP with less drivetrain loss, or engine wear etc…

@Nz Nath has a 13bt in a land rover with a Holset he221 intercooler and 34” super swampers and lives at just about sea level. He runs a 10mm fuel pump bs stock His dyno shows 152 crank hp and if I remember 20psi with boost leaks

So I think the stock numbers are fairly accurate. I remember others, but can’t find any posts about power/numbers.

This little vague chart from snow performance only goes to 200hp crank numbers… :D

View attachment 3308202

So by extrapolating these numbers (that’s a big word) at 150hp crank which seems pretty easily attainable on a fresh engine, upgraded turbo and up to 20psi boost looks like I would be in the orange to dark red numbers which is around 2.5 -3 gph (gallon per hour) assuming a 50/50 meth mix. Size down if less than that. So 2-2.5gph would seem to be fine.

This chart is based on 100psi from the pump. More on this later…anything less than 100psi apparently doesn’t work as well, doesn’t mist well, yadda yadda yadda
i know i was being the devil advocate about water meth possible issues, but in all honesty i do find it interesting Sooooo,
i ordered a aem v3 kit... ill let you know how it goes, thing i like is the boost on and full adjustments, and will be using less than 20% meth for engine pre ignition safety

i know i was being the devil advocate about water meth possible issues, but in all honesty i do find it interesting Sooooo,
i ordered a aem v3 kit... ill let you know how it goes, thing i like is the boost on and full adjustments, and will be using less than 20% meth for engine pre ignition safety
Nice! Will be great to see how that goes!

I’m still wondering if boost or egt is the best way trigger water/meth.

boost makes the most sense to me, but the snow stage 3 has both in conjunction

@Laughingjackal awesome SOA/37s 4bd1t swapped 60. Sounds like a UPS truck convention when we both take off.

This would be the truck that pushed @theglobb over the edge to go the 4bd1t route.
Yup, you kept mentioning the engine and I was never sold. Just really knew isuzu for making the vehicross and having some cool old troopers, didn't know they have been making diesel engines for an odd 100 years.

Went from driving that 60....
IMG_2760.jpeg

To then literally 2 days later I was buying a box truck from a kind Kentucky man
IMG_6309.JPG

Made it home and now its sitting in my troopy. Funny how life works
IMG_6344.JPG

Yup, you kept mentioning the engine and I was never sold. Just really knew isuzu for making the vehicross and having some cool old troopers, didn't know they have been making diesel engines for an odd 100 years.

Went from driving that 60....
View attachment 3360940

To then literally 2 days later I was buying a box truck from a kind Kentucky man
View attachment 3360939

Made it home and now its sitting in my troopy. Funny how life works
View attachment 3360938

Been watching the progress, you are so close!

I think you will be so much happier with that 4bd1t in that troopy.

Parts slowly coming in…

I did some searching and found individual parts for the clutch disc and pressure plate and ordered them.

151FCFC4-5350-40C9-B2D6-30CB99A70107.jpeg

All good huh? Yeah not so much.

Cruiser outfit didn’t have the clutch in stock, neither does valley hybrids. I wasn’t having good luck finding it. I found the part numbers and ordered them.

Transmission mount from cruiser outfitters
Pressure plate from rock auto
Clutch disk from phoenix friction

Everything checks out until I got the clutch disk. I ordered dtx-149, I got dtx-169.
Called the place and they put me on hold and said that’s the newest version of that clutch.

D9272DF2-6348-40A5-A74D-A67080BF0A9D.gif

See these are reasons I almost only buy from vendors here. I don’t have to worry if that chocolate chip cookie they send me is actually raisins…

So on the surface it’s very similar. :rimshot:

Dtx-149 - 275mm OD, 175mm ID, 21spline
Drs-169 - 275mm OD, 175mm ID, 21 spline

149 fits the HZJs 130hp, 210tq
169 fits the FJCruiser/Prado 4.0L 285hp 270tq

But Toyodiy or anywhere else doesn’t show crossover. So my guess is that it doesn’t work, and now I’m pushed back further trying to find another disk. Plus trying to get this sent back/returned to this other company.

B42D1B59-1DB1-4F86-BBE4-5878030FD3B7.gif

Always something.

E7637BB7-6DB7-4627-AA43-0F4568AB59EE.jpeg

Sigh... this is reminding me of the trouble putting together a lift kit for my 76. In a couple of years when they become more common in the US, there will be loads of full kits from all vendors, but at the time it was a lesson in patience.
cant-sleep-why-do-you-hate-me.gif

I just hope your current clutch holds out until you can actually have all the parts in hand and get in there and do the work!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom