Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the top bracket for the soft top has been a little problematic. The metal is just a little too thing and too much of a gap so in good wind, this can let loose and the top pops open. Not good. It pulled stitching out of some of the velcro connectors so I will need to get those repaired.

The better way would be to get a stronger metal or aluminum piece cut that is much stiffer. that or putting a larger fold to clamp better. However thats a little complex and out of my scope and who knows what a place would charge me for a multi-bend curved piece.

So I did cheap this year. added screws along the front channel and that has seemed to help a bunch, just with the quick drive today I tested. I hate drilling holes, but I also has a fiberglass windshield frame so rust isn't a concern.

tempImage77Rvus.png

When your crappy temp flex pipe exhaust gives way.

And more fun. I can still collapse than intake hose at 17 psi and slip that clutch at will with an instant 16psi shot :rofl: No exhaust makes that much easier to do.

So I’ve got to get my other vehicles going so I can pull the BJ74 down to fix exhaust and pull that transmission to fix the seal. Pretty positive it’s the leak causing the issues, but only way to tell is to pull and inspect the disc.

2006 tundra needs a new fan clutch, I got shipped a fake Aisin. 😑. Waiting for the replacement.

Eurovan I replaced injectors so they should be in tomorrow or next day.

Time to get my little jetta licensed and going.

You guys should have stopped at Ames monument at the vedauwoo exit. Highest point of the transcontinental railway! Less than 5 minutes off I-80.
AA3E6222-2514-4567-A8E2-3001D9FE2B63.jpeg

Last edited:
So the top bracket for the soft top has been a little problematic. The metal is just a little too thing and too much of a gap so in good wind, this can let loose and the top pops open. Not good. It pulled stitching out of some of the velcro connectors so I will need to get those repaired.

The better way would be to get a stronger metal or aluminum piece cut that is much stiffer. that or putting a larger fold to clamp better. However thats a little complex and out of my scope and who knows what a place would charge me for a multi-bend curved piece.

So I did cheap this year. added screws along the front channel and that has seemed to help a bunch, just with the quick drive today I tested. I hate drilling holes, but I also has a fiberglass windshield frame so rust isn't a concern.

View attachment 3051754
We've been working on this, and also the rear door arch. Hopefully it will.be thicker/durable.

At around 17psi I found my silicon intake hose from the air filter would collapse and basically shut the vehicle down for a few seconds until the pressure released and it started breathing again. @coldtaco had that same issue.

I went ahead and got a piece of aluminum 45° and replaced most of the silicon.

A bit blingy so I will eventually scuff or paint it. On the way in I was able to hit 18psi no problem. This turbo is great.

tempImageUVLUqV.png

tempImage3G18g2.png

Bah! Keep the bling! That way when you line up with the other classics at the drive-in, you'll look like you fit right in! 😜

I seem to be maxing out at 16PSI on mine, but that seems aplenty. I had a chance to drive some 100 or so km's pulling around 3500lbs on a pretty hot day and I found with the intercooler and AC running full blast that the engine would warm up on the hills with a 1100F EGT maintained. Cancelling the AC and cranking open the windows seems to keep the temps manageable. No trailer load and there is no temp increase even pushing it up hills in the heat, so that is good.

Looking pretty sharp there Ben! 👍

Just a quick text video of the new intake hose.

This is like 1/4~1/2 throttle. Not flogging on it because I have some clutch slippage in 4th/5th, which doesn't really seem to happen in the morning.
The boost just comes on so nice with this turbo compared to the CT26. This also as the stock wastegate setting, and just the fuel pump turned in 1/2 which I did about 2 years ago. Plenty of more fuel available.

24C7861F-809D-4760-B6F9-B1BB702734BE.jpeg

Well I had this huge post written up about researching new clutches, prices values etc, but something happened and I lost it all.

I was trying to determine if it was worth it to upgrade to a better/stronger clutch.

Aisin - stock, 646kg clamping , $270
Terrain tamer- can’t find a 13bt application
Exedy - stock, sport and safari tuff, I’ve found $400 and up on eBay from unknown sellers. Good reviews on these.
Xtreme Outback, stage 1, 2: 900kg clamping, torque from 350 - 520, $360 to $620 usd, summit racing , good reviews on other vehicles haven’t found land cruiser reviews yet.

Xclutch is intriguing as i can get it in the us for not much over stock prices for allegedly 40% more clamping than stock and 350tq

However , @Nz Nath did a dyno on his 13bt, with a Holset he221w like mine and got these numbers.

511E016E-69AA-4601-A10F-DBF9AA293624.jpeg
5CDB6C15-1B1E-415F-8AC1-9E7CD9B6765D.jpeg

I’m not sure what psi he is pushing, but I’m doing 17-18psi plus I’m at 5000’ altitude. So I could be at the limits of even the “40% more clamping” 350tq clutches…possibly.

That leaves me at Probabaly Xtreme stage 2 or safari sport clutch at a minimum.

Any thoughts antecdotes on the above?

@FJBen are you able to find a sharper price on the excedy? I got the safari tuff for $500nz, which is about $300us. That included having my flywheel skimmed. Normally prices workout far more expensive here than in the us. I bought direct from the nz excedy importer.

View attachment 3089236

Well I had this huge post written up about researching new clutches, prices values etc, but something happened and I lost it all.

I was trying to determine if it was worth it to upgrade to a better/stronger clutch.

Aisin - stock, 646kg clamping , $270
Terrain tamer- can’t find a 13bt application
Exedy - stock, sport and safari tuff, I’ve found $400 and up on eBay from unknown sellers. Good reviews on these.
Xtreme Outback, stage 1, 2: 900kg clamping, torque from 350 - 520, $360 to $620 usd, summit racing , good reviews on other vehicles haven’t found land cruiser reviews yet.

Xclutch is intriguing as i can get it in the us for not much over stock prices for allegedly 40% more clamping than stock and 350tq

However , @Nz Nath did a dyno on his 13bt, with a Holset he221w like mine and got these numbers.

View attachment 3089440View attachment 3089441

I’m not sure what psi he is pushing, but I’m doing 17-18psi plus I’m at 5000’ altitude. So I could be at the limits of even the “40% more clamping” 350tq clutches…possibly.

That leaves me at Probabaly Xtreme stage 2 or safari sport clutch at a minimum.

Any thoughts antecdotes on the above?
I have a HD clutch kit that I purchased from ''Brett's Truck Parts'' out of Australia. It is specifically designed for the 1HZ from Terrain Tamer. I have not had time to put it in yet, and it is looking like I will not have the time before my trip. However, that said... my clutch does not seem to be slipping like it used to. Though I am driving it pretty easy. However, there are a couple of times I have had to pull out onto the highway by my place and had to put my foot into it, pushing 16-17lbs of boost, and it did well. (Summer traffic in the Okanagan Lake Country where I live gets stupid busy in the summers with all the tourists)

So, I do not have a post install feedback for you, other than I spent a couple of months researching this topic. It sounds like TT does not have a clutch for yours anyways, but my next choice was going to be the excedy. TT and more specifically Brett's won out based on price. Your clutch sounds like it is going to be quite a bit cheaper than mine was anyways. I wish you the best in your endeavors for the best deal!!

I have a HD clutch kit that I purchased from ''Brett's Truck Parts'' out of Australia. It is specifically designed for the 1HZ from Terrain Tamer. I have not had time to put it in yet, and it is looking like I will not have the time before my trip. However, that said... my clutch does not seem to be slipping like it used to. Though I am driving it pretty easy. However, there are a couple of times I have had to pull out onto the highway by my place and had to put my foot into it, pushing 16-17lbs of boost, and it did well. (Summer traffic in the Okanagan Lake Country where I live gets stupid busy in the summers with all the tourists)

So, I do not have a post install feedback for you, other than I spent a couple of months researching this topic. It sounds like TT does not have a clutch for yours anyways, but my next choice was going to be the excedy. TT and more specifically Brett's won out based on price. Your clutch sounds like it is going to be quite a bit cheaper than mine was anyways. I wish you the best in your endeavors for the best deal!!
Great info there.

I believe the 1HZ and 13bt are the same clutch disc and pressure plate. The only difference is the throwout bearing.

So I suppose it’s possible to mix and match a kit.

All I can see when I look at that sheet is "land ROVER" - did the guy running the dyno have a wicked sense of humour? :lol:

I've had a Safari Tuff clutch in my 74 for about 9 years. Stock turbo running around 12 psi IIRC, and a 2.5" exhaust. It's been great, no issues.
Pedal feel was a little stiffer than stock but not bad at all.

All I can see when I look at that sheet is "land ROVER" - did the guy running the dyno have a wicked sense of humour? :lol:

I've had a Safari Tuff clutch in my 74 for about 9 years. Stock turbo running around 12 psi IIRC, and a 2.5" exhaust. It's been great, no issues.
Pedal feel was a little stiffer than stock but not bad at all.
Thanks for that feedback. I might just go that route if I can find a good price and send it.

@Nz Nath actually has a Land Rover with a 13bt in it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom