Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t believe there’s an adequate number of 70 Series in the U.S. to do that. 😊
A 1988 Toyota 70-series and old Diesel engine... far more efficient than US Gov every day,

Another step closer. Nice piece.

tempImageG9E4kI.png

Also got the commuter picked up this weekend. 98 VW TDI, 5 speed, hand crank windows, stupid cheap, 42mpg on a bad day. Not real pretty, but solid.

tempImageQ2bpqt.png

Dave Steadman wasn't able to find these bolts so I was able to find the next best thing. They defiantly aren't OEM quality, but they help with the FST look. $5.00 at ace hardware, they will work good enough I suppose until I can find OEM.

tempImage6IxE4l.png

Took the highway back. Here's a bit of cruising.
72mph
800~900F
85 degrees outside
5000' elevation, going uphill.

She's running pretty good, however she definitely needs more air flow. air intake and exhaust. I flogged on her pretty hard on an on-ramp and one of my intake pipes or something collapsed and boost was gone. I'm thinking about finding a 13BT factory air intake that goes over the radiator to add on to my raised intake. It would be really trick to have a vacuum operated valve to open when more air was needed.

Anyone have a stock intake they want to get rid of?

Gotta love a drive to work at our furthest building. 30 min drive on some backroads.
tempImagep6f9gc.png

Here is the part I'm looking for.

View attachment 3035621

I think it would look better than some piping.
I’ve always wondered how much these would restrict boost, going over the rad hose and all. Although I could never tell a difference with it on or off

I’ve always wondered how much these would restrict boost, going over the rad hose and all. Although I could never tell a difference with it on or off

I'm sure with higher boost it is restricting, but I figure adding that in along with my snorkel I should have plenty of airflow for the turbo. It would be better to probably pull air from just straight in front of there and not go over the radiator.

I figured if I could find one for pretty cheap It would be worth trying.

Dave Steadman wasn't able to find these bolts so I was able to find the next best thing. They defiantly aren't OEM quality, but they help with the FST look. $5.00 at ace hardware, they will work good enough I suppose until I can find OEM.

View attachment 3035107

Took the highway back. Here's a bit of cruising.
72mph
800~900F
85 degrees outside
5000' elevation, going uphill.

She's running pretty good, however she definitely needs more air flow. air intake and exhaust. I flogged on her pretty hard on an on-ramp and one of my intake pipes or something collapsed and boost was gone. I'm thinking about finding a 13BT factory air intake that goes over the radiator to add on to my raised intake. It would be really trick to have a vacuum operated valve to open when more air was needed.

Anyone have a stock intake they want to get rid of?

Gotta love a drive to work at our furthest building. 30 min drive on some backroads.
View attachment 3035106

doors off? Nice Jeep!

Also, what kind of hoses are you using on the suction side? Silicone hoses are not designed for suction side, unless they are specifically designed for suction. Using silicone hoses to connect two hard tubes is fine. When I had the 2H turbo I had the issue where I would loose air/power intermittently. When this happened and I let off the throttle power would be restored. It had a silicone 90 elbow and swapped it for a rubber 12HT 90 elbow.

Also, what kind of hoses are you using on the suction side? Silicone hoses are not designed for suction side, unless they are specifically designed for suction. Using silicone hoses to connect two hard tubes is fine. When I had the 2H turbo I had the issue where I would loose air/power intermittently. When this happened and I let off the throttle power would be restored. It had a silicone 90 elbow and swapped it for a rubber 12HT 90 elbow.

Silicon. Just “upgraded” That is The exact thing that is happening to me. I have a silicon elbow and reducer although the reducer is short. The elbow and reducer have a joiner in the middle but something is still collapsing.

I will Probabaly try and get aluminum to fit for the intake to turbo.

I noticed a little leaking on my exhaust manifold gasket. I didn't have the part in time when I did the turbo, which would have been by far the easiest to do it, so no I need to tackle that little project. Intake/Exhaust gaskets, OEM or go home...or replace them again. The non-oem only lasted 3 years, this one should be a lifer.

tempImage7hp8av.png

Here is a photo of my stereo. @Will Van has the same stereo. It looks pretty good at night, but mine is barely visible during the day, like not at all.

tempImagezDBVS5.png

With great power comes....great slipping?

Ok, well maybe not great power, or great slipping, but it's there. OEM Aisin clutch, 30,000 miles. Pretty sure its a combo of leaking input shaft and mo power. Its fine unless I mash it in 4th or 5th.

Mostly likely just contamination, as I'm really not pushing that much more boost in reality yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom